Windang Beach:pb Tailor

mako1

After reading all the great reports from this site I've finally decided join up to add some of my own.

After four weeks of no fishing I just had to get out and have a fish.On Saturday I headed for windang beach.

The plan was to chase some bream,tailor and salmon in the afternoon and maybe a jewfish in the night.There were no bream about but there were pleanty of tailor and salmon to keep me busy.When darkness came,out went the jewfish baits.I was using fresh tailor fillets and cuttlefish.These baits just attracted more salmon and tailor.All of them were good sizes,between 1.5kg and 2.5kg.I had some fresh garfish with me so out it went.I went off to rig another rod and after reaching my bag I looked back and saw my rod bent right over.The fish headed straight for the sand bank offshore.It took me a while to get it over the offshore bank and back into the gutter as I had 10kg line and didn't want to force it.I finally got it to the shore dump and beached it after a 15 minute fight.I shined my headtorch down expecting to see a small shark or jewfish,but was shocked to see this a 91cm,7.8kg tailor.This is my biggest tailor by a long way.I do hear of the odd report of big tailor being caught here on the east coast,but have never seen one and to actually catch one was excellent.I went on to catch a 1m gummy shark on garfish and some more tailor.The following shot shows the kept catch.The smaller tailor are 1.9kg and 2.5kg and the gummy shark was 3.8kg.It ended up being a top night of fishing with lots of action.

Hopefully this post has the photoes.

After reading all the great reports from this site I've finally decided join up to add some of my own.

After four weeks of no fishing I just had to get out and have a fish.On Saturday I headed for windang beach.

The plan was to chase some bream,tailor and salmon in the afternoon and maybe a jewfish in the night.There were no bream about but there were pleanty of tailor and salmon to keep me busy.When darkness came,out went the jewfish baits.I was using fresh tailor fillets and cuttlefish.These baits just attracted more salmon and tailor.All of them were good sizes,between 1.5kg and 2.5kg.I had some fresh garfish with me so out it went.I went off to rig another rod and after reaching my bag I looked back and saw my rod bent right over.The fish headed straight for the sand bank offshore.It took me a while to get it over the offshore bank and back into the gutter as I had 10kg line and didn't want to force it.I finally got it to the shore dump and beached it after a 15 minute fight.I shined my headtorch down expecting to see a small shark or jewfish,but was shocked to see thispost-2229-1151253205_thumb.jpg a 91cm,7.8kg tailor.This is my biggest tailor by a long way.I do hear of the odd report of big tailor being caught here on the east coast,but have never seen one and to actually catch one was excellent.I went on to catch a 1m gummy shark on garfish and some more tailor.The following shot shows the kept catchpost-2229-1151253250_thumb.jpg.The smaller tailor are 1.9kg and 2.5kg and the gummy shark was 3.8kg.It ended up being a top night of fishing with lots of action.

Hopefully this post has the photoes.

The plan was to chase some bream,tailor and salmon in the afternoon and maybe a jewfish in the night.There were no bream about but there were pleanty of tailor and salmon to keep me busy.When darkness came,out went the jewfish baits.I was using fresh tailor fillets and cuttlefish.These baits just attracted more salmon and tailor.All of them were good sizes,between 1.5kg and 2.5kg.I had some fresh garfish with me so out it went.I went off to rig another rod and after reaching my bag I looked back and saw my rod bent right over.The fish headed straight for the sand bank offshore.It took me a while to get it over the offshore bank and back into the gutter as I had 10kg line and didn't want to force it.I finally got it to the shore dump and beached it after a 15 minute fight.I shined my headtorch down expecting to see a small shark or jewfish,but was shocked to see thispost-2229-1151253205_thumb.jpg a 91cm,7.8kg tailor.This is my biggest tailor by a long way.I do hear of the odd report of big tailor being caught here on the east coast,but have never seen one and to actually catch one was excellent.I went on to catch a 1m gummy shark on garfish and some more tailor.The following shot shows the kept catchpost-2229-1151253250_thumb.jpg.The smaller tailor are 1.9kg and 2.5kg and the gummy shark was 3.8kg.It ended up being a top night of fishing with lots of action.

What great report, great days fishing and that's a hugh Tailor, sounds like you had a fantastic time keep up the good work.

Cheers Charlie

Mako,

:1welcomeani: to a great site,

What a top days fishing. That is going to be a hard fish to beat at 91 cm, that is hugh.

Congratualtions.

You should put it in the fish of the month comp.

Regards

Paul

Congratulations thats a huge tailor :1yikes: Mate im pretty sures thats the new record for tailor by a long way put a tape next to it if u still have it and submit another photo. Well Done!

:1welcomeani: Mako!!! Love it when a new member's first post is of a huge fish. That's one BEAUTIFUL tailor (and the others aren't bad either!!! :biggrin2: ) Can't wait to read some more of your posts. That fish is definitely worth a mention in the Fish of the Month comp. New Fishraider Tailor record!!!

Flattieman.

Edited by Flattieman

Thanks for all of the kind words.It was a really top fight because it took the bait on my medium outfit and when it finally came out it was the last thing I expected.

I have another photo of it next to a tape measure,so I will post it in the records section and fish of the month section.

Wettingaline I used 20lb line and a running sinker rig.I had to use a star sinker as there was a slight side current.I used a 60cm 60lb trace with a set of four 5/0 gang hooks and a garfish to finnish it off.

That is most certainly the biggest tailor I have ever seen, either in the flesh or in a pic.

Congrats on a top catch.... that's one massive tailor. :1yikes::1yikes:

Now... do I vote for the Reddie or the Tailor in catch of the month.

I'm open to bribes if it's close!!!! :074::074::074:

Tailor are pretty good eating provided they are bled straight away and kept cool and eaten as soon as possible.As soon as they go warm they start to go mushy.They also don't freeze well as they also go mushy when they are thawed.

I filleted all of the tailor and put one of the fillets from the big tailor on the barbie and cooked it simply with a little salt,pepper,olive oil and lemon juice.The other large fillet and the smaller ones were made into fish cakes.They both tasted pretty good,but my favorite out of this catch was the gummy shark which I crumbed

and pan fried.You can't beat eating fresh fish that you've caught yourself. :thumbup: