Crossing Narooma Bar

domza

Its not suprising that so many people have died on this bar. I used to go to the headland and watch the idiots do this stuff when i lived down that way its crazy to watch.

You can see in the photo he has hit the wave in what has to be the worst part possible. Just to his right is a much flatter section. He crossed it where the wave is breaking and going way to fast. :thumbdown:

Great photo though !

Guest madsmc

I'd like to be proven wrong, cause it's a pretty awesome photo, but I've got my doubts about how original this photo is.

There's some obvious pixelation around the boat itself, and some white spots in a few areas, where someone may have been a bit lazy with the photoshop paintbrush. :wacko:

Can anyone verify that this a real photo?

Shane

talk to swansea_fisho..... hes had a BAD experiance with it

and wouldnt something that heavy accuatlly be going through the wave not over it like a zodiac say???

Dont know whats your thoughts???

firstly they where going to fast over waves like that..... no one would do something like that..... and secondly.....it wouldn't have gone through the wave but it is highly unlickly that it would have gone that much out of the water..... the motors alone would have kept the back down..... we have droped of alot of waves in our 43' but nothing like that..... id say fake

• 3 weeks later...

If that happened there would possibly be some damage to the boat such as engine mounts and your electronics being jared off their mount not to mention after landing you may no longer be left sitting.

Is it real, maybe not, but when you come off the back of a wave in any boat its no soft landing. Even in a 58 footer people fall out of bunks and the whole boat shudders.

Bad news if your in a situation that needs you to increase reves to just punch through a wave. Diffrent storey in a following sea.

Great photo anyway

Cheers

real photo - fake photo, it doesn't matter cause that pic it truely indicitave of what really happens at Narooma bar and why people die their.

Im suprised someone would fake a shot like that when it happens so often for real ! Its a wicked bar crossing. :wacko:

Hi guys, just recently discovered this site. Looks great.

As for the photo above, there are some very similar old black and white shots like that down in the golf club and one of the pubs there.

The bar can be a tricky place, worst combo being sth swell, run out tide and a typical 20kn n/e sea breeze on a summers afternoon as the best place to exit/ enter the bar is the southern side.

I have seen many a boat come out of the water like that and sadly have seen a couple go over. The speed at which waves come through there is frightening sometimes.

Best idea on days like that is to stay put, and if the kings are hot, hope the pros dont take them all before you get to the island in a day or two...

Cheers

Steve

i absolutely hate crossing bars, especially when they are not behaving themselves.

that photo is bullshit but nevertheless im sure people have been stuck in situations similar to that.

they should be treated with great caution

• 2 weeks later...

Having crossed that bar a few times I allways thought it was worse on the way back in

with those big swells pushing the back of the boat around ,but you only ever seem to see

pictures of boats going out ,only fools get into trouble going out because you don't have

to go, but you do have to come back .Just my thoughts, in the end I went to Beragui a lot

less pressure same fish

:1fishing1::1fishing1::1fishing1::1fishing1::1fishing1::1fishing1:

Guest Big-Banana

Hate bars! Went down to Batemans, studied the bar for about 2 hrs once we got down there from the heads, launched the boat and sat there for a good 10-15 minutes, no big green rollers in sight, headed off and bang, 3 waves about 2.5-3 meters hit us. I would hate to have to cross them every weekend!

I agree with you mate(Big Banana).

I hate crossing bars, although I cross the bar up here regularly and find it in most circumstances quite predictable it still has its moments. I'm hold a big grudge on the Narooma Bar especially, it basically changed right infront of my eyes when I was down there last. Bermi next time for sure!

Cheers

Steve

Guest Big-Banana

I agree with you mate(Big Banana).

I hate crossing bars, although I cross the bar up here regularly and find it in most circumstances quite predictable it still has its moments. I'm hold a big grudge on the Narooma Bar especially, it basically changed right infront of my eyes when I was down there last. Bermi next time for sure!

Cheers

Steve

I dont mind Swansea at all, its always been nice. Just stick too the channel where the markers are and generally its easy.

Anyone got any stories of bar crossing, when its all gone wrong etc?