Sydney Harbour 7/10

popeyepete

Went out to fish early Saturday Morning, and went straight to Nth Head where the Salmon have been schooling all week. Not much action (for me anyway) as the amount of boats constantly moving across and ontop of the school drove them deep and further up the head and off shore. :ranting2:

Never the less, headed off to catch some livies at Balmoral, when to my amazement was surrounded by a pod of Dolphins. Bugger fishing, i was in awe for an hour as these mammals swan around the shore and seemed to follow us around. Took some snaps, Lots actually. Amazing to see these creatures in our harbour, just shows how clean and fruitful our harbour is getting.

QUESTION though: Is it true that when you see Dolphins where your fishing, you may as well pack up and move on, as this means that all the big fish have been scared away, or is this just bullshit. ?

post-869-1160292880_thumb.jpg

post-869-1160292892_thumb.jpg

Hey Mate

Dont know what others think! But between myself and my brother we bugger off when we see the dolphins even though they are beautiful to watch it, WE think it puts the fish off the bite! An on several occasions only just managed to drag legal kings aboard as a pod of dolphins come through,,,,,, I have never seen them go a hooked up fish, but had them go our lures while on the troll,,,,, SO dont want to put the theory to the test,,,, ie bring a salmon or king up through some dolphins, could be interesting :1prop::1prop::1prop:

Dan and Greg

hey mate,

we went out on friday and come across a school of kingies which where all under size.there were at least 30 swimming aronud our boat, which made it good fun catching and releasing.we played with them for about 30 mins hoping there was a legal kingy in between them.anyway we saw about 20 dolphins heading towards when they decided to crash the party.at one stage we saw 2 dophlins demolish a kingy each, it was unbelieveable the way they attacked.anyway the dolphins moved on and so did the kingys,spewing.

i reckon as soon as you see dolphins ,its time to move.i was wondering has anyone ever hooked a dolphin while fishing, as a couple off times we 've being trolling and the lures are in there face ,and they never seem to touch them

I don't know if it is a wife's tale or not, but I assume that if some predators (dolphins) are around, the fish would be on edge and spooked. The Dolphins normally move on quickly anyway, so they fish should come back on the bite afterwards.

Guest IFishSick.

It is true to stop fishing except when after yellowfin. They commonly shadow dolphins on the surface for a feed.

Ps. where are the pics?

There was a pod of about 20 in the Hawkesbury this morning also.

So Beautiful.

When Jim and I went to forster and was watching the fishermen on the breakwall, there were about 100 dolphins about.

And Jim had heard also that you might as well pack up but anyway we watched and within 5 mins a bloke landed a 12-15kg jew in amongst them and the others were still catching their smaller fish so I don't know???

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm yeah I know of fish shadowing dolphins, certain species of fish arent put off by dolphins.

We have caught dolphins accidentantly. Both on the troll and whilst live baiting,,,,,,, :(:(

Needless to say when we see dolphins, lines in! As we NEVER want to hook another again!!!!!!!!!!

Dan

Edited by Dan and Greg

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm yeah I know of fish shadowing dolphins, certain species of fish arent put off by dolphins.

We have caught dolphins accidentantly. Both on the troll and whilst live baiting,,,,,,, :(:(

Needless to say when we see dolphins, lines in! As we NEVER want to hook another again!!!!!!!!!!

Dan

great report and good to see some dolphins in sydney!

i always thought dolphins were too smart to get hooked? :wacko:

Dan & mgj,

A couple of weeks ago I was fishing north head using a 33cm horse size yellowtail as a livie when the drag on my TLD20 goes nuts.

At first I thought it may be a shark but I only had 60lb leader anyway and I had manged to fight it for 5 minutes. Anyway...........

After 5mins of fighting up pops a sea-lion that I estimate to be +100kg as it was bigger than me.

Tried to get some of my braid back then had to cut it loose. After speaking to a few north head fishos there are a few sea-lions that can sometimes be seen on the rocky leadges at the heads.

Theres a fair chance thats what smoked a few of your reels aswell. A +100kg sea-lion would need to eat quite a few 65cm salmon to keep itself fed each day!!

Edited by ko76

i saw a baby seal at north head while fishing saturday.

it looked injured, i called the zoo tosend some1 to help it.

they lady called me 3 hours later asking me to give them the spot again... i was snoozing in bed.

By the time i called back she said they couldnt find it and they're out of the water.

I dunno what happened to it. it didnt look like it was just sunbaking ... not 2 sure though

middle head sorry

Hey Mate

Dont know what others think! But between myself and my brother we bugger off when we see the dolphins even though they are beautiful to watch it, WE think it puts the fish off the bite! An on several occasions only just managed to drag legal kings aboard as a pod of dolphins come through,,,,,, I have never seen them go a hooked up fish, but had them go our lures while on the troll,,,,, SO dont want to put the theory to the test,,,, ie bring a salmon or king up through some dolphins, could be interesting :1prop::1prop::1prop:

Dan and Greg

mate my theories were along those lines until this morning.

we had absolutely no action all night got to our run in spot and a pod turn up, so i think thats it fish are gone.

wrong i was. within minutes wettingaline comes up tight on a big fish only to snap the 40lb trace (near the top swive)l then within minutes my mate gets a 6kg jew.

I always get excited when i see Dolphins, i always seem to catch when they are around.

Even though this may contradict other comments dophins cannot be hooked.

I have had livies in thier faces to only see them ripp at it and eat around the hook, I have also had countless times and i mean countless maybe 100+ where i have been offshore trolling for YFT to see a pod of Dolphins playing with my spread but never touching them.

As mentioned before Tuna's do shadow Dolphins and vice versa, Thats why dolphins get caught in TUna Nets.

Hey Mate

Dan and Greg

thats weird coz dolphins have sonar and wont take lures that have any metal in them at all even trebles,

Just last week I had a school of tailer in Pittwater on the surface hitting every lure tossed at them. A pod of dolphins come and the fish just disappear not to be seen. I have also had schools of salmon disperse when the dolphins arrive. I guess if you are the prey for the dolphins then you just &*^%$ off real quick!!

AS for seals I have had some follow my boat for hours. It drives you mad :1badmood: as you will be fishless until the seal goes away. They also pinch your baits with practised skill. Best to just motor off and try another spot!

Cheers

Kelvin