Hawkesbury 14/10/06

inhlanzi

G'day Raiders

Had a great session yesterday. Went out just for a quick test of my new home made live bait tank and ah well just couldn't resist having a go for a Jewie.

Had a livie down and I get quite a nice run. All goes quiet ...then agian... strike and bit of a struggle and up comes a real good flattie. Wanted to let him go but the hook was in the belly. Sorry flattie off to the barbie.

Then I was reeling in a deadbait and got taken near the surface by a Bronze Whaler of about 1.5m. It went nuts on the surface and after a bit of a tussle got him the boat and got my hook back.

You know when the blokes who know the ropes tell you - Don't fish with the "small" rod because that is the one that gets hit - well its true!!!

Encouraged by the flattie I persist (I have been given a deadline by the :wife: to be home quite early) so just one more go as you do...then the 3500 and a small 4-6kg ugly stick takes off and goes nuts. Hell of a good tussle with the big bronze fish. The first run is something really special. Got him on deck and very pleased with myself and then the second rod takes a runner. Yahoooo another good few minutes struggle and I manage to bring this fish aboard. Not a lot of space left on the deck !!!

post-1963-1160900497_thumb.jpg

I chuck out a new bait and barely 5 min later off goes the 3500 AGAIN!!!. A bigger fish than the other two and a 15 min struggle on the baitrunner.

TIP: Do not gaff a Jewie in the head!!!!! I had been told not to do it and some how I did. Learned my lesson the hard way. A nice Jewie goooone.

All in all this week the the fish Gods were very kind to me and I got to tangle with 3 nice jewies and a great flattie in a morning. The Jewies went 85+_ cm and one was much heavier than the other. Don't know the precise weights. Flattie was 80+ cm.

Two on a 3500 baitrunner and one on a 6500.

Cheers

inhlanzi

post-1963-1160900416_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the good words

Just to reply

Flattieman - Mate I lost a biggie last Sunday morning and yesterday certainly helped heal the wounds.

Jewhunter - I dream about the 20kg every night - dunno what I am going to do when it takes but I gues I will find out!!! I reckon the 6500 will handle it.

Red - your two fish the other night got me all fired up again. Do you give Gaffing lessons???

reefa - Yep mate my quota of freezer realestate is over the limit. Broken bay way. Live tailor and on was real crook.

cheers

inhlanzi

your two fish the other night got me all fired up again. Do you give Gaffing lessons???

:074::074::074: Mike, i have a few gaffing tips for you. Firstly and most importantly, you need to be patient. Make sure your gaff is razor sharp, especially if you plan on gaffing jews in the head.

Avoid chasing fish with the gaff......lead them to your gaff :074:

Only gaff fish that are on the surface, not a metre or so below it. Did i mention patience? :074:

Follow these tips and you will never lose a fish again :074:

Regards

Red

Red

My gaff is real sharp! I hate to admit this but in the midst of all the chaos I managed to walk into the bloody thing stuck in the side rail as I hadn't put it back in the vertical holder. Got a neat little hole in my calf.

Yea I think I learned one hell of a lesson yesterday but its hard to be patient with a nice jew on the end of a little baitrunner.

He was on the surface just lying there on his side too but he came out the water like a polaris missile when he felt the gaff in his head and on his way back down the trace caught the gaff and the hook just pulled right out...

But hey you gotta learn these things...and some the hard way

cheers

inhlanzi

Inhlanzi,

Well done on the jewies and a extra nice flattie, pitty it swallowed the hook. Your live bait tank, do you have a photo of your settup? How many litres does it hold? and what size pump did you attach?

The reason I ask is because I just set one up in my boat and mine keeps overflowing. I have a 500GPH pump attached to a pickup and the hose is 3/4 inch. The tank is 60lt which I bought of ebay it is a esky ice box I got it for $46 and the outlet is 1 inch which I thought would be big enough in diameter to keep the water level right.

If any one is intersested I will take a photo of my set up tomorrow and post it in the fishing chat.

Osprey Rider

I am very happy with mine.

It is a bit of a "Bunnings Special" ie 40 litre Washing bin, tie dows, 20mm clear tube with clips nd fittings,white pvc pipe and fittings, tent pegs (don't ask) occy straps, and an old 12 pump. Cost not much more than $50 (excluding the pump)

I can take some pics tomorrow and put it in the boating section

I have designed it to be 100% removable.

I must of had about 15 tailor in there and the ones left at the end of the session I couldn't catch by hand they were so fresh!

I experimented with a black bin first but struggled to see the livies so I got a white one.

I would like to see what you have done with yours. Maybe have two outlets to double the outflow of water.

I have attached a long hose to my pump so I can use it as a wash down as well. This is the best feature of the whole thing.

Cheers

Inhlanzi

Congratulations on your fish> You have inspired me to get out there this week. Any approximation on where you caught them? Without giving too much away.

Cheers

Davo

thats some great fish! just a question. jewfish of that size, are they considered soapies?

and whats ur favourite recipe for jewfish (Ive never eaten jewfish before)

Cheers

Hey mate,

I cooked a schoolie the other day (3kg fish). Nice and simple: pan fried fillet in butter with fresh dill, bit of pepper and a squeeze of lemon juice.

Delicious

PS, I am very impressed at the way you have taken to catching these jewies. seems like your recent lesson was very well received. Top stuff!

Edited by humesy