2 Raiders Get A Drenching

mrmoshe

Well...the best laid plans can be undone my mother nature in the blink of an eye.

My mate Brett (narrabrett) and myself had planned to take one of Darren's Trailerboathire craft

on a kingy expedition in the harbour this morning and file a comprehensive report with lots of pictures..

Looking at Seabreeze and the BOM overnight last night and all looked perfect for a great day on the

best harbour in the world.

I woke at 3am to the sound of very heavy rain at my place and looked at the BOM radar and saw it was just a small rain cell over the Northern Beaches with a few scattered cells way out to sea down south.

Seabreeze still had fine weather and late arvo showers predicted with max 8 knot SSE winds.

We duly got to Tunks right on 6:30 and launched to beautiful flat conditions.

Off around through the Spit to start gathering squid (thanks CFD) then all of a sudden..Kaboom!! Flash and the heavens opened up.

Now I have been in Monsoon rains in Asia before but this was beyond monsoon!...It p*ssed down and I mean heavy heavy rain and the blackest clouds you could imagine.

Lightning was striking all over the place and we were absolutely drenched in minutes.

We headed for some shelter in the SE corner of Clifton to try and seek some relief from the rain but it kept getting heavier and heavier.

We made the decision to beach the boat on the sand at Clifton and seek shelter and quick!

Clifton park was like a fair dinkum lake with water everywhere about 6 inches deep and waterfalls gushing down from the cliffs above...quite a sight.

We ran down the beach and found the little coffee shop inside the Naval yard.

We must have looked like a couple of drowned rats when we walked in. The yound lady made us some hot coffee and we sat under the umbrellas watching storm after storm roll in..it was getting worse...so much so that we decided then and there to abandon the outing and head home when the rain had eased off enough

to high tail it back to Tunks.

The clouds parted for a bit on the way back and we decided, seeing we were already out there to drop a line in at Quarantine...nothing much doing there but ran into FishingRod and his mate (sorry, I have forgotton your handle mate).

They offered us a few yakkas which we gratefully accepted, so whacked one on and not 2 minutes later..bang!! A tussle with what I thought was a mediocre kingie. Not till I saw some colour that I realised it was and samson...my first ever and a PB. Thanks fellas for the livies!!

It went 50cm and fought well above his weight.

With us still soaked to the skin and shivvering from the wind gusts well above the predicted 8 knots...we headed back to Tunks to try and keep warm and dry.

Darren's boat performed well considering it would have almost qualified as a submarine when we pushed off Clifton beach after the coffees. The auto bilge kicked in immediately and was dry in no time...There was almost 6 inches of water in the bottom by then.

So all in all...the best laid plans can go haywire...funny isn't it...no rain in NSW for bloody months on end

then too much in the space of a few hours.

We will re-schedule the trip again soon but this crap weather look like continuing for the rest of this week at least.

Darren was great in that he didn't charge us for today...which was a nice gesture on his part. Thanks mate.

Here's a couple of pics of the samson ,not a huge one but it at least made me smile on what was definitely a non smiley day!!

post-1685-1175691830_thumb.jpg

post-1685-1175691863_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Pete

Edited by MallacootaPete

Guest dicko1

hey mate, that was me out with fishingrod today! We didnt get a thing all day unfortunately, we had 7 squid ripped apart by pickers and had a yakka chomped in half... After we gave you those yakka's we were joking about reading a report from you guys tonight saying you nailed a few good fish on them!!! Guess you got the last laugh! Those little yakkas were a perfect size ay! Anyways, good to see you got on to a good fish in the end, might see you out again sometime!

hey mate, that was me out with fishingrod today! We didnt get a thing all day unfortunately, we had 7 squid ripped apart by pickers and had a yakka chomped in half... After we gave you those yakka's we were joking about reading a report from you guys tonight saying you nailed a few good fish on them!!! Guess you got the last laugh! Those little yakkas were a perfect size ay! Anyways, good to see you got on to a good fish in the end, might see you out again sometime!

Yeah thanks Dicko and sorry I forgot your name mate.

We were still bloody freezing from the drenching and thought we might as well give your livies a shot..

Did you guys get caught in the downpour too like us dills?..at least you had a cab to keep dry I guess.

Thanks again for the yakkas..The samson put up a good tussle.

Sorry you guys didn't fare well.

Cheers,

Pete.

Edited by MallacootaPete

Guest dicko1

yeah we got hammered in the rain, Iv got some awesome pics I'l put up 2mo, you cant even see 30metres in front of you! I can imagine what it would have been like with out a canopy to hide under :1badmood: haha! Congrats on the fish again!

Hey Pete,

I enjoyed your report mate, glad I wasn't with you though. As I was reading I could sense the feeling (been there done that) I hate it when you sit there shivering in the cold wind.

Anyway at least you got a feed and thats all part of fishing I guess.

Cheers Pete,

Jeff.

:074::074::074:

Greg was out there too. Open hull tinny, being hailed upon @ North Head. Needless to say he had a small headache when he got home. Oh an my boofhead bro Greg is sooo thick :tease: , he just sat it out there. LMAO

D & G

Edited by Dan and Greg

I enjoyed reading ur report and congrats on the pb Samson. :thumbup:

I was heading to Rose Bay yday morn when it started to rain and

hail,went back home and hit Botany in the arvo when the rain stopped.

That was some serious storm in the morn.

penguin

Hi Pete

Well done on at least getting a samson (never seen one in the flesh yet)!!

Shame about the downpour to ruin the day! It is a bit spooky when it just buckets like that & not a good idea to be the 'tallest item' on the water! I was shivering along with you. Nothing worse than being wet & cold.

Cheers

Roberta

PS Better luck next time!

Nice Samson.

Hey Dicko, you can give me some LUCKY yakkas next time - I need some fish to !!! :074:

That was nice of you guys sharing your livies, especially when you give the best ones away.

The weather for Easter is absolutely crap.

All of the working week has been fine and as soon as the holidays come, so does the bad weather.

Cheers

Greg

well done on the samson, gee that bugger was well earned.. you can tell a good old fashioned die hard fisho,we'll sit through rain hail and anything else the weather gods send down in the slim hope of catching something. :074: . i bet that hot shower when you got home after being drenched was like heaven.... better luck next time...... what a champ darren is for not taking your hard earned.... 3 cheers for trailerboathire :1clap::1clap::1clap:

Edited by roosterman