Kingies Take Me For Another Tow!

Cid

Last saturday morning was perfect to take the yak out onto Botany Bay and after a week of constant rain and wind I thought there'd be boats everywhere. Wrong! I had the place virtually to myself and what a session! Maybe the cold, dark starts at 6:30am keep most people in bed.

First cast with an East Coast popper and it's snaffled by a tailor. Then the next cast, the next cast and the next cast. 3" baitfish were jumping everywhere with tailor in hot pursuit. After half a dozen fish I lose the popper (Rats! :05: ) so I change to a Mojo twitchin' minnow on a 1/4oz jighead. I decided to let it sink in case something bigger is lurking below...and it was, too.

Woohoo! This ain't a tailor! Deep runs, howling drag and me being towed about. What a hoot! :thumbup: Into the yak and she's a new PB for me. 72cm's and a welcome addition for the BBQ.

Back I go and very next cast it's hammered again and this one screams off even harder. 'Un-bloody-real,' I think and there's not one other boat out here to join in. I keep the pressure on and before long she's circling below me. They don't give up easily and I make sure she's ready before I lip-grip her and slide her over the side. And this one goes 75cm's so now I'm only 25cm's off the meter club! :yahoo: I take a few photos and send her back on her way.

Unfortunately I had to head back in and leave them biting but I'd caught more than enough. How good has this winter been for kingies? Keep 'em coming, I say.

cheers,

Cid

post-680-1182758778_thumb.jpg

Hi Cid

What a great session!! Well done on the kingies - must have been fun in the yak! WHat sort do you have? Great pics, too. You have everyone's tongues hanging out! Top report.

Cheerio

Roberta

Wow what a catch!!! :1yikes:

poppers in winter is great if you can get it. :biggrin2:

everybody loves kingies!!! they pull soo hard and just never give up, also fight dirty if given the chance, he he.

Yaking is definitely my next mission.

Well done again on two absolute pearlers :thumbup:

BM

some very good fish caught there.. nice work! :D

its always great and exciting to see those baitfish jumping on the surface! because you always know theres something chasing them 90% of the time :D:biggrin2::thumbup:

congrats again

Thanks for the comments everyone. To answer some of the questions, I was fishing around the Hotwater outlet but the fish were scattered a bit. There was lots of surface action over a wide area (not confined to any structure though) and I figured that bigger things may be lurking below the tailor schools. The baitfish were about 3" long.

I have a Hobie Sports, Roberta and she's a great fishing platform. I've been out in the middle of the Bay in pretty choppy conditions and even up to a km or so off the heads, when the conditions are right, of course plus I always wear my PFD.

cheers,

Cid