New Bag And Size Limits

xtosea

A bit surprising! It would be interesting to read the findings on how they decide what species to increse the size or bag limits for. As for Kingfish in Sydney from reading this site and others it seems their hasn't been this many kingies numbers and size wise for years and with the ban on commercial fishing in parts of the harbour and since fish traps were banned. I know it's for the whole of NSW but maybe they can give me one more season in Syney harbour to escalate from the 55cm to 60 curse I've had all last season. Well I guess it just means I will have to upgrade my tackle to catch that extra 5cm greenback.

Thanks for the post that's some good info to know!

Cheers,

Joe

Great news....Kingys at 65cm...fantastic....

Definately help the population..............

Also like the Dollie size limits...in all honesty guys a dolie under 60cm doesnt have mmuch meat anyway..

:thumbdown: on the kingfish and dollie changes

not many dollies over 60 get taken off sydney close fad :thumbdown::thumbdown:

i agree mate, pretty dumb rule changes. 90 percent of the knigs we get are only just 60cm. they seem to plague inshore waters and most kingie anglers.

At the boat show I quizzed the DPI staff about the chnages but they had no idea of the science behind it and just towed the depatment line. I think getting someone to talk about it or post the reasoning on this site would be great for communication of the changes. If the science is logical (as opposed to it being a political stand) then I am 100% behind it.

Once upon a time 1mtr kings were the scourge of the sea and in plague proportions especially around Seal Rocks, Montague, The Banks and Peak, if the pro effort is contained that may happen again and the 65cm limit won't matter.

Personally I like slot and bag limits as many fish taste better at smaller sizes. The big old ones are better off back in the water.

Southerly

• 3 weeks later...

Alot of poeple in this thread mentioned that there were plagues of just under size kings and dollies around Sydney this year. Why do you think the most common were just under legal? Its not a coincidence - alot get taken when around the size limit minimum.

These new rules deserve applause and will gradually increase average size.

If you think in terms of only your next fishing trip and complain about changes like these there might not be any fish for you kids to catch

Edited by Laredo

At the boat show I quizzed the DPI staff about the chnages but they had no idea of the science behind it and just towed the depatment line. I think getting someone to talk about it or post the reasoning on this site would be great for communication of the changes. If the science is logical (as opposed to it being a political stand) then I am 100% behind it.

Females first matured at 698 mm fork length (FL) and 3+ years, but 50% maturity was not attained until 834 mm FL. The smallest recorded mature male was 360 mm FL and the estimated size at which 50% of males were mature was 470 mm FL (0+ years) FROM http://www.rsnz.org/publish/nzjmfr/1999/39.php

So 50% of male fish breed by the time they are 47cms to the fork, but in female fish, they have to be 83cm to the fork before 50% of the fish breed. Maybe legal sizes will gradually be bumped up?

83cms to the fork is a pretty massive fish :o But I guess that's just because I'm used to catching 60cm models. Imagine the kind of tackle we'd have to be sporting in the harbour if the rats were 85cm to the fork :1fishing1:

• 4 weeks later...

i apply my own rules to fishing for flathead.... all fish over 65cm go back.....we only livebait for them when chasing a feed, when the flatties are thick we only keep the ones that are deep hooked or bleeding. such a fantastic ##### that is so available shouldn't be wasted.... that isn't to say i don't keep a lot of flatties...

most of my mates have self imposed and ethical limits, which apply to most or all fish we catch...

whiting are the only fish that ever have to worry about me bagging out on them...

the poor tasty buggers

changing size limits and then relying on how much the professionals catch in following years is hardly science, but it would be hard to argue against increasing the general size of fish in an area...then again over regulation has got us nowhere...i guess we will see// i am much more concerned about the entire marine park fiasco

cheers

ian

Edited by johnno

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Think there is some good changes...

Although would like to see the jewfish size increased?..would help so much in the long run for this species

Josh

i agree 45cm is vey small for a jew. i only ever catch under size ones in the hawkesbury. increasing the size for jew might better protect this nursary

Who follows these size/bag limits seriously?

Every 2nd LB fisho i have seen have had at least 1 10cm snapper in their possession, id rather there be checks on these ppl before increasing the size limits.