Your Weirdest Catch On The Right Bait

luderick -angler

I was wondering if you all are interested in starting a thread along thelines of when you aretargeting a species and you catch the unexpected?

I'll start wit hmy two a pike on a cabbage bait fishing 13ft of the trap at little bay and a 3lb flattie all the way up at Tempe in the cooks using weed for blackies!

again go figure! :beersmile::beersmile:

One day at in the port hacking when I was a kid fishing on my mates dads moored cruizer his dad told us that grapes work relly well as bait. I was like yeah nice try mate Ill stick with my prawns but my mate wacked on a red grape and caught a fat 30cm plus bream and the a 50cm flatty about 5 mins later. I was gobsmacked :o . Years later we were all haveing a beer and telling fishing stories and up came the grape story. His dad confessed that he was only pulling our leg about the grapes being great bait and was shocked when his son caught not 1 but 2 fish :biggrin2: He never confessed at the time because it made him look like a pro fisherman. Unbelievable :wacko:

Hi LA

I got a nice 76cm flattie on weed too - 6lb fluoro, size 10 hook & still managed to get it into the net! My other one was when I nearly got a jewie on weed! I reckon there was a blackie mooching around my bait & the jewie had a go at it - all I know is, I saw this big whitish thing roll over & simultaneously, my rod arched almost in half, then I was busted off, all in the space of a couple of seconds. Another time, I already had a blackie on, and a jewie took a fancy to it - you could see the striation marks from the jewie's teeth & it was also half scaled already!

Cheerio

Roberta

Hi All,

An old fisho mate of mine told me cheese (yellow cheese in particular) worked for him I was fishing the hawksbury with some mates and I was telling them the story, we just happened to have a block of coon... so of with a piece and onto the end of the hook and 5 minutes later we pulled in a 25cm killer prawn ! :1yikes:

we had never seen a killer prawn before so needless to say we where all freaked out !

never caught one again, mind you I have never used cheese again.

Cheers

Peahead.

Hi LA

I got a nice 76cm flattie on weed too - 6lb fluoro, size 10 hook & still managed to get it into the net! My other one was when I nearly got a jewie on weed! I reckon there was a blackie mooching around my bait & the jewie had a go at it - all I know is, I saw this big whitish thing roll over & simultaneously, my rod arched almost in half, then I was busted off, all in the space of a couple of seconds. Another time, I already had a blackie on, and a jewie took a fancy to it - you could see the striation marks from the jewie's teeth & it was also half scaled already!

Cheerio

Roberta

hi all once caught a bully mullet on weed in narra lake

also fishing in my dingy for flaties near pipeclay point caught a 18kg jewie thought i had a pike eel on or a monsterous flatie i had 3handlines out with slabs of tailor and 1 spinning rod that i'd bought at grrrrrrrr the day before spooled with 6 lb mono and a 2/0 longshank hook typical it hooked up on the rod 1/2 hour later after cutting other 3 lines and anchor rope it surfaced like a submarine broke the landing net nearly tipped the 6ft dingy over could not believe my luck :1yikes:

peter

Whilst not targeting some thing different and after taking advice

from a mate.......... fishing for trout at lake eucumbene from the bank

we found we had great result on salt water mussel

and thought that to be a tad weird............ :1prop:

Cheers Warnie

I recently mentioned this in a post, I caught a reasonable Blackfish on a 2/0 with a nipper fishing amongst old oyster leases in woolooware Bay in january. 2 ft of water and a solid mud base.

Unfortunately I didnt get a bream that day

Dave

I use cheese all the time. I find the best type for staying on the hook is edam. It is for me a sure-fire bait for bream at my favourite spot - The Basin in Pittwater at night.

It doesn't go off. And if the fishing is slow and I'm feeling a little peckish, I can always take a piece off the bait board on put it on a plain biscuit with a pickle.

Peter

I think one of the stranger ones for me was going to Putney Park in Concord. Didn't have any bait so used the skin of the roasted chicken we bought and wooshka !!! I got myself a good sized bream. Definately 30cm+. And from what I recall, everyone said "you're not gonna get anything with that", but after persisting, I did :)

A gumboot on a peeled prawn :( got busted off bringing it up to the wharf

A ladies G-string on a ganged pillie :biggrin2: got busted by the girlfriend bringing it home :(:wife:

I was only 16 at the time.

penguin

Edited by penguin

My strangest catch was one of those little white bugs that live inside fish's mouths in place of their tongue.

Was chasing blackies with weed on a running sinker rig near Maroubra and eventually thought I'd hooked up. Fight was brief and then over - and I reeled in to find the little white bug skewered on the hook.

I reckon the fish owes me a couple of hundred $$ for the free dental work.

Anyone ever pulled out a fish an it was literally see-through?

I pulled one out in the salt pan creek (georges river) and it was maybe about 5cm in length and no joke, you could see practically the entire insides of the fish. Freaky stuff.

Dave,

a lot of people say use small hooks for blackies but you'd be surprised by the size of their gobs when they open up specially the big uns, we used to get a lot of blackies at night down Sussex fishing for bream wit hnippers and you'd gut hoo kthem on a 1/0 frustrating when your after bream and theres palgues of blackies and good size ones stealing your nippers though they hit harder than some bream of equal size! i end up using a 6 suicide off therocks some days! :offtopic: Sorry i'm going off topic here! Apologies, back to the subject meanwhile! :beersmile:

Talking of having fish stolen of a line i had a 2lb blackie snavelled by a metre long king 2 years ago off the end of wharf 2 hickson road and a few years back dad got smashed up 7 times straight thinking they were pigs when in fact they were big blackies getting snavelled by a 7ft whaler shark sitting in the hole they were fishing off nth cronulla rocks! :05:

LA

I caught a Kingy on a 6/0 live bait hook without any bait. It was dangling over the side and down about a metre.. the silly fish just wacked it for no reason.

Hahaha made me laugh!! :biggrin2:

But seriously, the cheese is the go for bream.. ive been using it for years - usually get the bigger models too.

sometimes sprayed with WD40. This also works particularly well on Murray Cod :)

Ha - one that made me laugh, put out a fresh pippi fishing off the beach one day and brought it in, with another pippi attached.. :wacko:

Edited by skunga

Certainaly not a fish............although the intent was there............

Fishing for jewies off the breakwall at s.w.rocks i came up tight and pulled in a

wallet..... neatly hooked in the corner...............

my first thoughts were ....what did i originally snag up to......... :1yikes:

i reported and handed it in to the local police station and was informed

next day that a volunteer helping in the stranded melon head whales on the beach at that time

had lost it in the ocean................

that would have to be a million to 1 would it not.............

so to who ever it was who lost it .......you now know who found it....... i will go you half's in a lottery ticket... :yahoo:

Cheers Warnie

Certainaly not a fish............although the intent was there............

Fishing for jewies off the breakwall at s.w.rocks i came up tight and pulled in a

wallet..... neatly hooked in the corner...............

my first thoughts were ....what did i originally snag up to......... :1yikes:

i reported and handed it in to the local police station and was informed

next day that a volunteer helping in the stranded melon head whales on the beach at that time

had lost it in the ocean................

that would have to be a million to 1 would it not.............

so to who ever it was who lost it .......you now know who found it....... i will go you half's in a lottery ticket... :yahoo:

Cheers Warnie

That is unbelievable..

I forgot the other one. The bream in my avatar took a live poddie. Couldnt fit enough of it in its mouth to get to the hook just came in latched onto the tail of the mullet. Greedy bugger was a prime example of biting off more than it could chew.

Dave