Another Fisho Dead

noisy

well another fisherperson drowned tryin to get a feed of fish of the stones this morn ... when are people going to learn the sea takes no prisioners and is not forgiving ..all to often people die for a feed of fish worth $10 bucks in the shop ... as much as we try to educate people it falls on deaf ears.. to many people die ..for the ones who are left its our duty to educate the young especialy of people who were not born in this beautiful country with its dangeriouse seas....bob

Just read about this on the news. Its a shame mate, I could never give up my rockhoppers (I love the sport way too much) but I've always respected the power of the sea. Had my share of dicey moments after 13 years fishing from the stones but thankfully I've never been swept in...generally I never fish a swell greater than 1.5m but have seen some "freak waves" come from nothing and thats generally how people get caught out. Thing is, there is no such thing as "freak waves"...it's just tempting to watch your float or rod tip more than you watch the sea. Next thing you know theres a wall of water coming your way and you've got no where to go but in the drink.......this is where many people get into trouble.

As noted, education is key but some common sense will make sure you can fish safely off the rocks and get home with your fish, not end up swimming with them...

well another fisherperson drowned tryin to get a feed of fish of the stones this morn ... when are people going to learn the sea takes no prisioners and is not forgiving ..all to often people die for a feed of fish worth $10 bucks in the shop ... as much as we try to educate people it falls on deaf ears.. to many people die ..for the ones who are left its our duty to educate the young especialy of people who were not born in this beautiful country with its dangeriouse seas....bob

It's really sad that someone died & commiserations to the family and friends involved.

but why the rant for? Bob, you didn't really educate in your post.

Heres a few tips: (common sense really)

1) watch the seas carefully FIRST

2) appropriate clothing - lightweight + proper shoes

3) be able to swim

4) know where you will swim if you get dragged in - negates some of the panic if you went in..

5) life vest

6) try not to fish the stones alone

It's really sad that someone died & commiserations to the family and friends involved.

but why the rant for? Bob, you didn't really educate in your post.

Heres a few tips: (common sense really)

1) watch the seas carefully FIRST

2) appropriate clothing - lightweight + proper shoes

3) be able to swim

4) know where you will swim if you get dragged in - negates some of the panic if you went in..

5) life vest

6) try not to fish the stones alone

Great common sense tips skunga

My only one to add is...

7) No matter how much effort you've put in to go fishing, if the seas are big and rough, don't fish. Find an estuary or sand beach. No fish is worth your life.

Mate, it’s a tragedy for this thing to happen. Authorities should make it a law that you need to fish off the stones with a vest on no matter what. They have done this for crossing bars cant see why they don’t impose this on rock fishing as well.

I totally agree that there is no such thing as a freak wave. The following might be teaching a few of you how to suck eggs but it might be helpful if you are getting started. "freak waves" are set waves that are predictable if you know a bit about wave period. Period refers to the gap between waves. The longer the period, the more powerful the wave. Long period waves (10-12 seconds and above) arrive in sets that may come every 10 minutes. The famous big wave surf spots have wave periods of 16 seconds +. Short period waves (less than 10 seconds) is called windswell and it is quite predictable, with waves regularly. The real danger time is when there is both short period waves and a long period groundswell that has travelled across the seas. You can be watching the predictable waves and then out of the blue, comes that "freak wave".

Here is a good site to get the stats. http://www.mhl.nsw.gov.au/htbin/wave_data_...Location=Sydney

Stay safe y'all

I totally agree that there is no such thing as a freak wave. The following might be teaching a few of you how to suck eggs but it might be helpful if you are getting started. "freak waves" are set waves that are predictable if you know a bit about wave period. Period refers to the gap between waves. The longer the period, the more powerful the wave. Long period waves (10-12 seconds and above) arrive in sets that may come every 10 minutes. The famous big wave surf spots have wave periods of 16 seconds +. Short period waves (less than 10 seconds) is called windswell and it is quite predictable, with waves regularly. The real danger time is when there is both short period waves and a long period groundswell that has travelled across the seas. You can be watching the predictable waves and then out of the blue, comes that "freak wave".

Here is a good site to get the stats. http://www.mhl.nsw.gov.au/htbin/wave_data_...Location=Sydney

Stay safe y'all

hi! you start your post with no such thing as a freak wave, and then end it with a freak wave???

i agree with the periods you mention though!...remember that pappilon movie,i think there was 7!

just never (NEVER) turn your back on the sea!...or your opponents in a footy final ( another story!)

..CAPE BANKS is a classic for it, calm one second RUN the next!

have caught many good fish from the rocks there, but MAN what a brain drain! ( NOT COMFORTABLE! )

..cheers!..stevo!..

)

g'day bob, just a point... i fish for the pleasure assosiated with catching fish,and im sure its the same for most people out there, getting a feed is just a bonus, so to say this dude was killed trying to get a feed worth 10 bucks is degrading to him because your making him sound like an idiot,the feeling you get from hooking up cant be bought in shops for no price, have some respect for the dead.

peace.

WE SEE IT EVERY YEAR,PERSONS TRYING TO CATCH A FEED IN DANGEROUS SPOTS AND CONDITIONS. A LARGE PROPORTION OF THE FATALITES ARE OUR NEW MIGRANTS WHO OBVIOUSLY DO NOT MIX WITH EXPERIENCED FISHO'S. MANY OF THEM DON'T SPEAK OR READ ENGLISH. ALSO HOW MANY WATCH OUR TELEVISION OR READ OUR NEWSPAPERS. A GREAT MAJORITY ONLY WATCH MEDIA ON SATELLITE TV BEAMED IN FROM THEIR COUNTRY OF ORIGIN OR READ MEDIA IN THEIR OWN LANGUAGE. SO WE ARE GOING TO CONTINUE TO HAVE THESE PEOPLE GETTING INTO DIFFICULTIES.HOW ELSE ARE WE GOING TO GET THE MESSAGE ACROSS. THEY MUST COMMUNICATE AND LEARN.

CHEERS BART :1fishing1:

top one bart you took the words right out of my mouth you only have to watch BONDI RESCUE.. and..SURF PATROL to see how many people do the wrong thing ..because of cultural diferences..i know its hard for some of these people but i think the EXPERIENCED amoung us should try where we can....bob

Very sad to here,, my thoughts go out to the family...

I have been surfing for approx 9 years and basically live in the water (when i'm not fishing it) "

Freak" waves and "Sets",,, this is what i have exsperienced in the water... Obviously you have your standard consistant sized waves,, then youve got your sets arriving at different intervals ( eg,10 sec apart ) and then 90% of the times of surfed i have always witnessed what i call a BOMB SET, (freak wave).. this wave is normally only a few feet bigger than the sets (depending on wave hieght). This is NOT predictable and i also wouldn't count on the number of sets remaining the same.

Wheather it be surfing, fishing of the rocks or in the boat, even walking around the rocks i always establish where the safest point of exit would be if i did end up in the drink and never on my "pat malone" (alone)

With respect Arron

WE SEE IT EVERY YEAR,PERSONS TRYING TO CATCH A FEED IN DANGEROUS SPOTS AND CONDITIONS. A LARGE PROPORTION OF THE FATALITES ARE OUR NEW MIGRANTS WHO OBVIOUSLY DO NOT MIX WITH EXPERIENCED FISHO'S. MANY OF THEM DON'T SPEAK OR READ ENGLISH. ALSO HOW MANY WATCH OUR TELEVISION OR READ OUR NEWSPAPERS. A GREAT MAJORITY ONLY WATCH MEDIA ON SATELLITE TV BEAMED IN FROM THEIR COUNTRY OF ORIGIN OR READ MEDIA IN THEIR OWN LANGUAGE. SO WE ARE GOING TO CONTINUE TO HAVE THESE PEOPLE GETTING INTO DIFFICULTIES.HOW ELSE ARE WE GOING TO GET THE MESSAGE ACROSS. THEY MUST COMMUNICATE AND LEARN.

CHEERS BART :1fishing1:

lot of truth what u said mate but please don't put every single migrant in the same boat. pliz be diplomatic when passing on your message. this is a great website for fishos to help fishos, not to used to express one's frustration and personal viewpoints on migrants. i think most of us here in australia are migrants anyway...

i am not into bashin migrants but i think we need to look at this group of people getting killed irespective where they come from unfortunatly immagrants make up a big part of these figures.. instead of an question and answer for citizenship...why dont we teach them to swim instead...and i dont care what color they are...lets just save lives....bob

i am not into bashin migrants but i think we need to look at this group of people getting killed irespective where they come from unfortunatly immagrants make up a big part of these figures.. instead of an question and answer for citizenship...why dont we teach them to swim instead...and i dont care what color they are...lets just save lives....bob

Again, it comes down to common sense. I just dont think anyone should be rock fishing if they cant swim..period!

Common sense doesnt mean fishing in thongs cause its hot!!! Or fishing a south facing ledge if a 3m swell is rolling in from the south! :1wallbash::1wallbash:

All the platforms I fish have a very long run off - meaning theres heaps of space between the actual ledge and the cliff face. The most dangerous spots are those where the angler is backed up against a wall. Wave comes in, smashes mr fisherman against the rocks, water has no where to go but back out to sea and in he goes...then you hear about the rest on the 6 o'clock news.

Again, it comes down to common sense and fishing the right conditions and locations.

Well said Lads. COMMUNICATION is very important .We have to get this message across to everyone.Fishing is a great sport,but safety is a must, especially when FISHING, whether you can swim or not. Ignorance or not being aware of the DANGERS can be FATAL.

CHEERS BART. :1fishing1:

A couple of years ago a guy invented a rashie with a built in inflator (either self activated or manual) and I thought it would take off like hot cakes with the rock fishing fraternity. He showcased it on Inventors.

Another guy developed a helmet to go with a padded lifejacket, so you looked like an astronaut - don't think that one went off well at all either! No-one wanted to look like 'dorks' with a big padded life jacket (even if it would save their lives) & helmet, so it didn't take off. Plus they were just too restrictive to fish with & manoevre around the rocks etc.

THose inflatable thingies that yachties have used for years & hang around your neck/chest (there is one you can put on your belt too) sounds good, too but don't know how many people take those. Very light, full floatation & no discomfort.

But the rashie has it all! You Look like everyone else, but you have a secret - you can save yourself! Unfortunately, most deaths would occur from being bashed against the rocks with each following waves .... hence "Swim away from the rocks" is the first thing to do, assuming you haven't already had your head bashed in.

I don't rock fish much any more - had one or two scary moments when I copped a big wave - prefer the breakwall & the lake these days!

Where is that rashie now????

Cheers

Roberta

He got washed in just off Dee Why...around a bit from the ocean pool...I know that area very well and it's a very dangerous spot...I don't know why people risk it.

I do have to say though we frequent the pool almost daily during the summer and I see the majority of Fishos being of Asian background and I'm guessing many are ignorant of the real danger.

The Korean guys that fish shark point at Clovelly have the right idea. Judging by their dress I am guessing they are not exactly water babies but just about all of them have emergency life vests. They know when not to fish from what I have observed.

Yes, it can be a very dangerous passtime if the precautions aren't used.

74 people died in rock fishing accidents between 1992 and 2000 across NSW and At least 17 rock fishermen have died on the peninsula's coastline since 1991.

Keep it safe Raiders.

Cheers,

Pete.

Personally I cant see myself wearing a vest. You dont see boat fisherman wearing them whilst fishing and if you're silly enough to fish any conditions that warrant such a vest then your fishing at your own risk! Any fisherman will tell you that some of the best catches are made after a big blow......so why risk it when the seas are up???

Its my favourite form of fishing... the calm and peace that is found on the rocks at sunrise - or anytime for that matter - is something special. I wouldnt want to give it up for anything. If fished properly, it can be extremely productive and the risks can be minimised even eliminated so long as you follow a few basic rules (mentioned above) and are wise enough to call it quits if it gets too rough.

Cheers

RH

Edited by RockHoppin

Well said Rockhoppin. Experience on the rocks goes a long way. I learned a lot when I was a boy. My father would take me and my brother rockhopping to BOMBO rocks everyweek. I was shit scared climbing up and down the cliff and rocks

. Just watching Dad fishing and getting the wash was an adrelin rush on it's own. He always spoke to us about the danger of the sea and never to take it for granted.

He lost a few of his mates over the years in his youth whilst they were rockhopping. So there you go as I said earlier on this topic ( Communicate your knowledge to others and don't be ignorant of the Dangers of Fishing.

:1fishing1: CHEERS BART :thumbup: