Kings On The Chew

Red

Hi raiders, took my brother in law (king virgin) out for a bash in the bay. Started out gathering bait and scored around 20 medium to large squid without too much difficulty before moving on to finding kings. We watched the sounder like hawks untill we found them just around the corner from the heads.

The next half hour was mayhem with no less than 12 strikes and seven fish landed on 6lb Fireline. Fish ranged from 62 to 74cm and took live squid. My brother in law got to fight 5 of them and you can't wipe the grin off his face. We kept 5 legals for the table and still had some succulent calamari left over for dinner. All in all, a very short and satisfying session in the glorious weather. Gotta love these days, especially when they fall on your RDO. Go get em girls and guys!

Regards

Red

Hi raiders, took my brother in law (king virgin) out for a bash in the bay. Started out gathering bait and scored around 20 medium to large squid without too much difficulty before moving on to finding kings. We watched the sounder like hawks untill we found them just around the corner from the heads.

The next half hour was mayhem with no less than 12 strikes and seven fish landed on 6lb Fireline. Fish ranged from 62 to 74cm and took live squid. My brother in law got to fight 5 of them and you can't wipe the grin off his face. We kept 5 legals for the table and still had some succulent calamari left over for dinner. All in all, a very short and satisfying session in the glorious weather. Gotta love these days, especially when they fall on your RDO. Go get em girls and guys!

Regards

Red

Sounds like you guys did really well.By the way where did you score your squid

Cheers guys. I'm stoked for my brother in law. He can't thank me enough for putting him onto his first kings. He had heard that kings pull like trains but never expected so much power. Getting busted up was frustrating but i'd rather fish light where possible. I'm amazed at just how strong 6lb Fireline really is. Its got to be near double that.

For those who are interested, the squid were caught in the dark around the bait schools in the middle of the bay. I use strong lights on my boat that help attract the bait and the squid. Works well most of the time.

Hope the raiders can get amongst them this weekend.

Cheers

Red

Chicka, you are right. The drums held the bait today. Just be carefull around there as there are many obstacles in the dark.

Rodholder, mate you've made us jealous many a time especially with that cracking 20kg Bay jew in broad daylight on top, just to rub it in :1prop: and what about taking out the biggest bream prize in your first comp? On fire!! There were people lining up for your autograph :thumbup: When your hot, your hot! :1prop: Those days will come back for you very soon :thumbup:

Cheers

Red

ACZ, the kings were on the northern headland today. Same area where Aero and Rodholder nailed them a few days ago.

Frank, not a worry about giving that spot/technique away. Not too many people are stupid enough, keen enough or equipped for night squidding. It takes considerable effort and sleep deprivation to beat the crowds, both at the ramp and on the squid grounds :1prop:

Cheers

Red

ACZ, the kings were on the northern headland today. Same area where Aero and Rodholder nailed them a few days ago.

Frank, not a worry about giving that spot/technique away. Not too many people are stupid enough, keen enough or equipped for night squidding. It takes considerable effort and sleep deprivation to beat the crowds, both at the ramp and on the squid grounds :1prop:

Cheers

Red

Nice one Red, very sporting of you to fish so light !!! I could imagine how fun they would be on such light line. The lightest I have used is 12lb braid, on a light rod, and the King gave me some curry...

You are right though, not many people would put in the hours and effort for squidding at night. The effort pays off though, and when you score with fish like that, it all makes it worth while.

G'day Penguin, unfortunately i'm off to Jervis Bay again, trying to get amongst the tuna we found last weekend. Its a real shame to miss this social, especially as its at my home ground :mad3: Any idea as to what time it will wind up? Might be able to make it for a beer at day's end. Hope you all have some stories to tell.

Regards

Ange

G'day Penguin, unfortunately i'm off to Jervis Bay again, trying to get amongst the tuna we found last weekend. Its a real shame to miss this social, especially as its at my home ground :mad3: Any idea as to what time it will wind up? Might be able to make it for a beer at day's end. Hope you all have some stories to tell.

Regards

Ange

Well done Red.. sounds like you guys had a ball on the 6lb... I wish I could get out this weekend just have to much to do around the house...... Also Good luck with the fins down at JB.... Please top the MarlinMagic 56.4kg....

Regards

Ange

mate did you give your new rod a go on the kings....if so how did it go... looks the goods and it makes it that little bit more satisfying when you catch them on the rod you built from scratch...

Well done Red - I bet your brother in law will have a smile on his dial for a very long time!!

I would have been happy just to have caught the squid!!! One day i will crack the Kingie code! .... and the hairtail code ..... and the jewie code ....(well, bigger than soapies, anyway!) Forgot to mention the squid code, too!

Great report - you've got everyone into Kingie fever again already!!! It will be a long Kingie summer!

Cheers

Roberta

Do you always fish that light for Kingies? Assuming you can because you have them away from structure? Is that right? I thought everyone would use like 12-20lb leaders at least!

Edited by Roberta