Beach Fishing Down South

james7

Arrived at XXX beach this morning and conditions looked promising.

post-4381-1192104831_thumb.jpg

It’s a tough place to fish but someone has to do it!

post-4381-1192105082_thumb.jpg

Plenty of little bites and it wasn’t long before the first of several baby salmon were hooked by Jeff.

Not exactly what we were hoping for but better than nothing.

post-4381-1192105146_thumb.jpg

Neil moved down the beach and picked up a couple of whiting.

Now, this was more like it!

post-4381-1192105235_thumb.jpg

I was getting a bit worried because all I could catch were lousy toads!

A couple of very pleasant hours passed and we were just about to pack up and then ...

post-4381-1192105414_thumb.jpg

surprise surprise – Neil pulls in a blackfish???

In all my years of beach fishing, I’ve never seen a blackfish caught so far from any structure.

Has anyone else done this?

post-4381-1192105455_thumb.jpg

We kept Neil's two whiting and blackfish (and they were delicious!)

The final tally:

Neil - 2 whiting and one blackfish

Jeff – 4 small salmon

Me – 1 lousy stinkin’ toad!

Cheers

Peter

Excellent catch, next time try caves beach, next to Jervise bay,

caught 8 trevally and 1 bream in a 2 hour session from the rocks on right side further around the point.

Great stuff its been a while since I tried there, but all is still good.

Cheers

Well done on the catch mate.

Just a mention about the blackfish, was it slippery? did it have scales? Because looking at the pic when its dead, it looks like a black trevally. With BT's there's two types - theres the rock bt's which are darker, and theres the much lighter bt's which are caught off sandier waters. When you catch the lighter specimens, they turn a tad darker when they die.

Their spikes will give a headache and a half, but they taste awesome. But yeh, its definitely a blackfish if its got the scales..

Well done and keep it up :D .

Edited by Aloosh

Well done on the catch mate.

Just a mention about the blackfish, was it slippery? did it have scales? Because looking at the pic when its dead, it looks like a black trevally. With BT's there's two types - theres the rock bt's which are darker, and theres the much lighter bt's which are caught off sandier waters. When you catch the lighter specimens, they turn a tad darker when they die.

Their spikes will give a headache and a half, but they taste awesome. But yeh, its definitely a blackfish if its got the scales..

Well done and keep it up

Thanks for that info Aloosh

This was a blackfish. It definitely had scales. It tasted great too!

Cheers

Hi guys

What a great fishing session - & a fantastic looking beach!! Well done on catching the blackie - was it on worm??

I have seen blackies caught of the middle of Seven Mile beach here at Forster, on pippie! They school up & move from headland to headland - there is a pro boat up here that targets the big schools when they are on the move. A few years ago, they caught so many they were selling them for $1/kg! 'Cos they had to sell them fast!! They even sent a truck load up to Qld to sell!

Cheerio

Roberta

What a great fishing session - & a fantastic looking beach!! Well done on catching the blackie - was it on worm??

Yes Roberta, it was caught on the last stale bit of beach worm. I am still surprised my mate Neil caught it.

Cheers

Peter

I've seen big blackfish come from the breach at Maroubra and at Tamarama over the years on flesh baits , but only around August/ September the theory is they are cleaning themselves out during the major spawning period but then over the last ten years thistheory does not hold a lot of credence anymore as the yseem to be in roe 10 months of the year now! Still an awesome catch i know divers that have seen blackies in open water up to a kilometre off the coast when they travel in big schools.

Mate i didn't know I had a twin brother..... the guy in the first pick is a dead ringer for me.......

Mate, you don't have to worry about your "twin brother" any more. His :wife: cut his beard off and gave him a shave today

Photo to follow

:074:

Cheers

Peter

Hey Pete where was Pick-A-Box Syd in all this action ? Bet Syd was looking for something easier to catch like Birdsville Trout ?

Cheers mate

jewgaffer

Hey Jewgaffer

Poor old Pick-A-Box Syd missed out on this trip and was a bit dirty when he discovered that he could've come down the coast after all. :1badmood:

It was a great trip, but no fish for me. When you're fishing such beautiful locations, who cares?

Cheers

Peter

Hey Peter,

Nice Surprise = Great feed!

Mate i would have loved to have read that you

put a 6/0 through one of those Salmon,

walked to the boat channel

then threw it straight back in.

There are some GOOD fish there bouts.

Catch Ya

Bigfoot

Hey Peter,

Nice Surprise = Great feed!

Mate i would have loved to have read that you put a 6/0 through one of those Salmon,

walked to the boat channel then threw it straight back in.

There are some GOOD fish there bouts.

Catch Ya

Bigfoot

Hi Bigfoot

I was wondering where that "boat channel" is that you mentioned?

What area/beach are you talking about?

Cheers

Peter

Hi Bigfoot

I was wondering where that "boat channel" is that you mentioned?

What area/beach are you talking about?

Cheers

Peter

G'day Peter,

If you can endure the hike to the rocky outcrop in your picture,

low tide is better, there is a deep, well defined gutter where from higher ground

is seen pretty easily.

My mates and i have always known it as the boat Channel, Serious Live baiting Posi,

BUT, only in favourable conditions.

Catch Ya

Bigfoot