Kings And Jews

namesay

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent work Kelvin, I see as usual you have caught even more fishermen than fish :thumbup::thumbup:

Thanks Don! I don't post much these days. It gets me into trouble all the time. I guess when I do write up a report or a post then better make it worthwhile. Already we are being crowded out of our fav spots. I am constantly hearing about our fishing adventures on the radio reports. Drives you mad . I guess we become better fishermen by staying abreast of such things.

It is crazy to be just doing the same old things and expecting better results. We move on and explore something new. Kind of reminds me of golf this fishing!! Cheers Kelvin

Well done Kelvin and Tony, an excellent and informative thread with some good "outside the box" ideas. . Good to see the little ones getting into them as well. They're growing up quickly to be talented fishos in their own right. You should keep a copy of your threads to show them when they are older.

Cheers

Kurt

What about that time I thought you were free spooling my torsa on that runaway ray! :074::074::074: How much drag was that! CHeers Kelvin

just for the clarification i had a big ray (i think) take a live squid that was meant to be for a jew last friday.

i thought i was snagged at first and asked kelvin to motor around to try and get my rig back. then it took off slowly and i knew it was a fish and i wanted to get it up to surprise kelvin when its on the side of the boat.

this was on the heavy outfit the torsa with 70lb or so braid. i tried to stop the run with my thumb then by setting the drag to sunset (12kgs). by that time kelvin looked and saw the line still peeling quickly.

i had the rod straight down so he couldnt see the bend. he asked "are you free spooling it are ya?"

i said yeah here try and get it off! he took the rod and felt the weight it was halarious!

You just cant ask for better company

R_Zee

post-2057-1196671398_thumb.jpg

This is my favourite recent photo- not because of the fish but the little guy under it. It was in my last report but that shot of Michael the jigging machine really cracks me up. Looks like I have been doing pretty good with bait donated by my mates. It was Greg yesterday and it was Oz and Steve for this fish. Thanks Guys!!!

Anytime my friend.........im just glad that a 93cm king came out of it.(otherwise those cuttles were going in the freezer)..a top catch especially on a busy busy day as sunday was, cant wait to get out there and try it all again on Wed.

Edited by Yabbiehunter

this thread continues to amaze...awesome pictures. Scary to think how good the boys are going to be.

I wonder how many fellow raiders are upgrading their sounders for Christmas. Would be interesting to take a poll.

RobMc

having said that i have seen many people with 585's getting nothing.

it would be good to run classes to teach how to read raw data off a sounder.

thats an art on its own.

The pictures posted by Kelv are very very educational.

R_Zee

You're on fire Kelvin. Good to see the jews firing in Sydney Harbour. You must know Craig well as he's often mentioning your catches.

I've spent some time driving a Furuno FCV582L and they are good things and i've spent some time with high end Lowrance products that are even better. The Lowrance LCX112C is without doubt the best sounder i've personally used. It was picking up reds in 80m of water like nothing else i've seen. Can't wait to have a play with the 585 though now that my mate has recently bought one. I'm expecting good things.

I think most people here would not get the max benefit out of such a potent unit especially the inshore brigade. The 620 looks a nice unit and is probably bordering on overkill for bay/harbour work. I suppose it comes down to what you are use to. My trusty old Lowrance LCX15MT is an outstanding hi-res unit in inshore waters and shows up jews like nothing else i've seen. The poor things really do give themselves away. Can't bring myself to replace this unit as it has served me well. Hopefully the next generation sounders are even better.

Love the photos, especially of the smiling young lads :thumbup:

Cheers

Red

kelvin,

on the topic of stealth and spooking fish from under your boat, have you looked into side scanning sounders such as the humminbirds? imagine adding an extra sounder to your inshore arsenal. scary to imagine.

thannks for the informative posts. i am one of the abovementioned minions hosting a 585 yet to christen the boat with anything worthy of a report.

kelvin,

on the topic of stealth and spooking fish from under your boat, have you looked into side scanning sounders such as the humminbirds? imagine adding an extra sounder to your inshore arsenal. scary to imagine.

thannks for the informative posts. i am one of the abovementioned minions hosting a 585 yet to christen the boat with anything worthy of a report.

i will beat Kelvin to say that he has owned a side scan for a few months and he has used it well to say the least

kelvin i have to say this topic has been very educational and the way you use the sounder and pics is awesome...

your wealth of knowledge and the many hours really shows in your posts....

a big :thumbup: from me for the things i am learning from this post.

this sort of stuff is what makes this site so great,i never targeted kings before this year and from your posts and advise and other raiders i setup with adequate gear and techniques and nailed em late jan/feb.and the kingy sickness set in :biggrin2: ...

i dont get to get out much so need to really utilize the wonderful raider talent we have here to keep improving my tactics and success rate so once again thanks kelvin and i hope you can keep the good tactics/advise flowing for us raiders that can only dream of hitting the water as much as you....

cheers.... steve.....

Edited by roosterman

kelvin,

The side scan is amazing technologyas it can identify structure and give you a 3d view. However, it is not so good for fish finding.

When it comes to sounders I am just a bunny. I like the furunos as they are easy to use and read. I know lots of others who use different brands and get the same or better results. The worst part with the furunos is their instruction manuals. Difficult to comprehend. However, once you work things out they are powerful units.

Tony uses the 7000 combo and that is a fantastic unit as well. Just need to know how to maximise your unit's potential. I am lazy and want the easiest and the digital units are by far the easiet. CHeers Kelvin

id like to to see little man battle the king can you post a link to utube

Here is a video I took of Michael "The Jigging Machine" a few months back. He does not hook onto a fish this time, but the video shows his jigging technique. Funny when you first see it, but the little man has stamina and goes all day long...

and thats a 65-70cm king i got jigging in winter.

I have many little videos here and there of me and the crew.

Will post some more later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6vz_BNoZNA

R_Zee

That video cracks me up!!! We really had the kings on fire that day. Don't even remember how many we got. I was surprised you even had to work the jig to hook up. Bring on winter! Cheers Kelvin

Here is a video I took of Michael "The Jigging Machine" a few months back. He does not hook onto a fish this time, but the video shows his jigging technique. Funny when you first see it, but the little man has stamina and goes all day long...

It is funny with the jigging machine. When he hooks up he lets out a yell and holds onto the rod with grim determination. Like all kids he loves catching anything. Squid, yakkas, slimies etc. He had a huge time once when the slimies were busting up between the heads. For him it was paradise catching small fish.

Actually he is a great kingie attractant. I get him to catch small fish like sweep, yakkas mados etc while we are waiting for a bite and this activity inevitably brings the kings around. Got them well trained! Cheers Kelvin

It is funny with the jigging machine. When he hooks up he lets out a yell and holds onto the rod with grim determination. Like all kids he loves catching anything. Squid, yakkas, slimies etc. He had a huge time once when the slimies were busting up between the heads. For him it was paradise catching small fish.

Actually he is a great kingie attractant. I get him to catch small fish like sweep, yakkas mados etc while we are waiting for a bite and this activity inevitably brings the kings around. Got them well trained! Cheers Kelvin

i wanna see little man hook up :thumbup:

one more post to 1000 posts kelvin . nice one :thumbup:

Dan,

I don't know how many kings I have caught/released or eaten but never get tired of catching them. I always return to catching kings. It is a bit like a marriage really, when I go after another species it feels like I am cheating on them!!!

My flatties on lure count is going pretty good now. Been using gulps...pseudo lures I know but they work on everything. Been doing a lot of whipping and the warmer water has made them more active. Still hook kings on these lures but.

Numbers are really interesting. In my first session on kings a couple of decades ago I was ironically taken out fishing by a dentist whose son I knew from church. We fished for kings just offshore near longy. Using strips of squid, yakkas and gars we landed around a hundred fish in that session. Of course we released almost all the fish. THey were biting just about anything that hit the water. Had a smile for months. A bit different to the blackfish I was used to catching.

It was an introduction that I would not forget in a hurry. Ever since they have been my favourite.

I learnt how to fish for them inshore in the the harbour and estuarys with a lot of good information from the various charter operators here in Sydney. I call most of them my friends. I still remember when one of the charter guys took me to middle harbour to fish for kings. I thought he was having me on. THe water was green!

THe suspicion didn't last long as I was onto a king within 10 minutes. We both laugh now days about my disbelief at catching an "oceanic" species in the middle of a river. Was introduced to downrigging by another charter operator. He is a patient of mine and I knew him when he was a locksmith a decade and a half ago. Was intrigued when he told me of downrigging. Of course I went fishing with him many times and found downrigging to be another arrow in the arsenal. Been trying to improve on my methods ever since hooking onto my first king!!!

Today I went out with Jack who you know is a bream guy. We tried for a few different species but ended up catching kings in the end. Despite the miserable conditions we got our quota of kings. You see a kingy follow a hooked fish and you are champing at the bit to get him. Kings are one fish that I am pretty sure of getting in Sydney and they pull like nothing else. Long may they reign. Cheers Kelvin

Edited by namesay

......It is a bit like a marriage really, when I go after another species it feels like I am cheating on them!!!.....

Kelvin

..........................................................................................................................................................

:Funny-Post: namesay, where do the kingfish show up again on the furuno sounder when you sneek back after letting them off the hook for a while, New Caladonia ?? :D

Great topic Kelvin

Regards

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

The water is too warm for them in caledonia. More like Lord Howe. Got less than a month before we go after another of the seriola clan...the samsons! THe fishing off perth for these beasts is absolutely unreal. WEnt last year and was blown away. I am getting really pumped up now. Cheers Kelvin

The water is too warm for them in caledonia.............................. Cheers Kelvin

Thanks heaps for that information Kelvin. You saved me a lot of petrol finding the critters. :lol: I'll repay you in fish but mate you better make it silver perch but don't start on downriggers and furunos for silver perch though, old mate please just leave it that :D

Cheers :thumbup:

jewgaffer

The water is too warm for them in caledonia. More like Lord Howe. Got less than a month before we go after another of the seriola clan...the samsons! THe fishing off perth for these beasts is absolutely unreal. WEnt last year and was blown away. I am getting really pumped up now. Cheers Kelvin

I am sure you probably own the iFish DVD's already and know what I'm talking about. But those two went twice in a short space of time to hit the Samsons. They seem to leave the kings in second place in terms of their average size. I just love the scene where he is pulled overboard. Awesome stuff.

I feel sorry for your wife mate. Another fishing widow by the looks of it.

Cheers

Mitch

Got less than a month before we go after another of the seriola clan...the samsons! THe fishing off perth for these beasts is absolutely unreal. WEnt last year and was blown away. I am getting really pumped up now. Cheers Kelvin

stop mentioning that Kelvin!

i am trying to forget about it and do some work between now and then!!!

i CANNOT wait!