South Coast Megabass

Bream Mad

Hi Raiders,

Just returned from the family holiday with great stories to tell :biggrin2:

New of a dam that I though warranted a closer look near the holiday house but was not sure if it held any fish, ony one way to find out .

Took Jac and Moo up one lovely morning to find a pristine dam that looked the goods complete with airators. Casts to the weed beds on shallow divers and surface lures produced no interest, so along the dam wall I cast with a glassie vib.

I counted the lure down then comenced a slow retreive. Bang ! I am on to an absolute horse that smokes me and my 10lb line before I new what happened :mad3:

That got the heart pumping! now I tie on a TN50 Jackall and cast to the same spot and I am hit again by a freight train that dives deep pulling a HEAVY drag on my new alphas. After backing her out of three snags she finally surfaces, a true leviathan of Bass, gleaming bronze and fat as mud :yahoo:

I lip her for a few pics and can hardly beleive the size and girth of the big girl, and what condition

post-2475-1230973425_thumb.jpg

post-2475-1230973448_thumb.jpg

post-2475-1230973465_thumb.jpg

She went 53cm and god knows how heavy, a Bass of a lifetime :thumbup:

I released her and she swam back into the depths

post-2475-1230973482_thumb.jpg

that sure is one to brag about, great fish!!

i was hoping you could help me out for a sec. i noticed in your pics you are using a baitcaster setup. i've recently bought myself a shimano core 101MG and matched it with a g-loomis 6' 6-12lb CR721C rod. i love the setup but i feel as though the rod is a little heavy for bass fishing. i would like something a little lighter but i'm not sure. what do you all think?

that sure is one to brag about, great fish!!

i was hoping you could help me out for a sec. i noticed in your pics you are using a baitcaster setup. i've recently bought myself a shimano core 101MG and matched it with a g-loomis 6' 6-12lb CR721C rod. i love the setup but i feel as though the rod is a little heavy for bass fishing. i would like something a little lighter but i'm not sure. what do you all think?

Reel is awesome rod may be a tad heavy for river work but not for impoundment bassing

I have a pflueger medalist 6'4" 2-4kg (feels more like 3-5kg) and I throw lures 5 gram and up and i generally get bigger fish even in the rivers as a 40cm bass will pull very hard.

Your outfit should throw sammys; and small cranks (griffon, CK40, bevy crank) and spinnerbaits very well.

I use fluorocarbon straight though and love it (8-12 lb) i find i still get lots of birdnests as i am learning to cast

another lure that works well is a baby slick rig, easy to cast and bass love them

Reel is awesome rod may be a tad heavy for river work but not for impoundment bassing

I have a pflueger medalist 6'4" 2-4kg (feels more like 3-5kg) and I throw lures 5 gram and up and i generally get bigger fish even in the rivers as a 40cm bass will pull very hard.

Your outfit should throw sammys; and small cranks (griffon, CK40, bevy crank) and spinnerbaits very well.

I use fluorocarbon straight though and love it (8-12 lb) i find i still get lots of birdnests as i am learning to cast

another lure that works well is a baby slick rig, easy to cast and bass love them

thanks mate, appreciate the input. i'm a fan of the pflueger rods as i have one that i use to troll with for trout so i will definitely check out your recommendation.

• 2 weeks later...