2 Stroke Oil Leaking From The Prop

groperman

Gday guys, I flushed my boat the other day after not running it for about 5 weeks. Some smoke came out when i first started it and everything was ok. Then that night i looked at the engine and I could see black oil leaking from the back of the prop where it is attached to the shaft. Just wondering what everyones theory is of the problem? Could it be the seal shrunk because of the cold? Look forward to your answers :) Cheers!

Dean

Edited by groperman

My first suggestion is that you are a girl for not taking out the boat for five weeks. Naughty naughty. More seriously i had the same issue and i read about it everywhere to try and rectify it. I am fairly tight with my cash so if it could be fixed in house then i would have. Most people suggested to me that maybe i was running a mixture that was too rich in oil. I was in the run in phase of a new motor so i put it down to that. I finished with the run in phase and the oil leakage seemed to stop. I dont even check anymore as the engine is still running smoothly, way over due for a service i might ad, so i am happy. There are a few on here like pelican and slinky that will have better advice. Huey would be able to help if its serious. Did the engine run fine whilst you were flushing? Personally i wouldnt worry about it unless you are a greeny and worried about the extra pollution.

First and most important, are you sure its 2 stroke oil residue and not Gearbox oil.

Check its not gearbox oil, its unlikely but worthy of being sure, Check it.

If its 2 stroke residue you could try a better brand of oil that will burn off, Some cheap oils dont burn well and you can get residue. Residue is not a big issue, so dont worry.

Good luck

First and most important, are you sure its 2 stroke oil residue and not Gearbox oil.

Check its not gearbox oil, its unlikely but worthy of being sure, Check it.

If its 2 stroke residue you could try a better brand of oil that will burn off, Some cheap oils dont burn well and you can get residue. Residue is not a big issue, so dont worry.

Good luck

Agreed, most likely residue that isn't burning off. I've found both my current and previous Johnsons (40hp then 50hp) do it after flushing at idle, but never after a run.

Very interesting topic..

I have recently purchased a tinny with Johnson 25HP (1999).. Owner hasnt taken her out in a while.. but the motor started on the first pull..

When ive first flushed the engine (using muffs), abit of smoke came out and after the flushing some thick black oil was coming out of one of the holes just above the propeller (when the motor is running, water pumps out of that hole).. it leaked abit then stopped..started the motor again in a week, this time only a drop of oil and nothing after that..

So, i guess this is due to the above given reasons..the oil mixture too thick or low quality 2 stroke oil..?...

...couldnt see any oil leakes at all under the motor hood..

Edited by ritchie

Initially i thought it was gear box oil aswell but my mate told me the gear box oil shouldnt be black unless there is something wrong with it. The engine was running fine when i was flushing it. The leaking has eased however there are still abit on the prop. I might flush it again over the weekend and see if it leaks again. Thanks guys.

mate it sounds like a bit of shit oil buid up but an easy way to check that its not coming from the gear box is to remove your top oil screw vent hole ,bottom 1 near base of gearbox is your fill hole top 1 is the full hole for gearbox (vent) take this 1 out oil should b at that level and make sure it is not a milky coulour and is full to there and you will know then its just shit 2stroke oil build up. try the synthecic 2stroke oil its clean mean and green and good for the motor cheers dunc

Hi, I've had the same problem as well. I have a 50hp johnson and was previously running valvoline oil purchased from supercheap. I had leaks several times and was told as david advised that sometimes cheaper oils don't burn off as well evidently causing the leak.

I have now changed to XD-100 and have only had a minor leak once when the boat hadn't been started in a while but other than that it's been good and I'm happy with the results. But as others have stated, if it's engine oil it's probably nothing to worry about although it may be worth while to check gearbox oil for water just in case.

Here's a clip of the motor after it had been flushed(when I first encountered the problem):

Edited by nosliw

Hi, three things can cause excessive oil to run down inside the exhaust housing and out the prop if that is what you are seeing. First the oil/fuel mixture is too rich-50:1 is what you want to use (you do not mention what HP it is and if oil injected, then different reasons can also led to excessive oil usage). Second you are using cheap inferior oil, than as the guys have said does not burn well. Thirdly and quite common is that the engine is running cold at low speed due to a faulty thermostat or someone in their wisdom has removed. Thermos are very important in all brands and technologies of outboard because at low speed they keep the engine at the correct operating temp.

Cheers,

Huey.

I've got a mariner 125HP 2001 offshore model. I also use Penrite 2 stroke outboard oil, i thought they were suppose to be good? lol Should bother checking my spark plugs and see if any oil leaked to there?

Hi, no point with checking the plugs-all it will show you iHs that they maybe have carbon build-up. If they have not been replaced int he last 12 months fit new BP8H-N-10 plugs, make sure the oil pump linkage is correctly adjusted, make sure she is reaching correct temp and if that was my engine I would run XD-100 oil-it is the best and worth the little extra.

Cheers,

Huey.