Botany Bay Bream Are Back Baby!

Keflapod

It's been such a long time since I'd wet a line,

To fish in Bot'ny Bay,

The sun didn't shine and it threat'nd to rine,

but I went fish'n any way...

It's the most poetic I've been in a while.

I could write the whole report like that but but the brain is quickly going offline after such an early start...

In fact most days when the brain boots up, it does so errors.... :1prop:

I rang my mates to see if they were going out and they said they couldn't be bothered.

As Montgomery Burns keeps saying..."Excellent"

I would fish all their spots, catch all their fish and brag to them about it !

Actually I went to my own spot full of anticipation.

There was 18 degrees of water temp, the tide was rising and there was no-one else there.

Woo hoo.

By the time I cast the third line in and the first rod goes off....

"That's the way uh-huh, uh-huh, I like it, uh-huh, uh-huh."

Well after 17 bream, 2 whiting and 1 trevally, I decided I had enough.

Well not really, I ran out of bait!

Oh, and the 3 mega port jacksons, 2 sting rays and 1 banjo shark kept it interesting.

Interesting enough for me to swear loud and proud about the heritage of their species.

Then I regain my composure, tie on another hook and doe it all again..

OK so why was I so excited about the scenario?

A rising tide in the morning where the ocean temp on the coast is 19 deg means that the same nice water will come into the bay on the high tide. It will speed up the metabolism of the fish triggering them to feed.

If the ocean water was 16deg and cold, a rising tide would bring bad water into the bay and the fish would clamp their mouths shut, like a kid does when you try to feed them brussell sprouts !

I also lost 3 nice bream to the bottom. Sometimes the line gets caught around a rock as the tide sweeps the sinker along. You get a nice bite, the fish shakes its head, runs a bit then Ping!

Oh well, I can't complain. I finally have some fish in the fridge.

One of the fish was actually a 37cm tarwhine - pictured next to a 37cm bream.

I don't think I have ever caught one bigger than 20cm before so this was a real surprise.

Sorry about the poor photos - I can never take proper photos with fish in one hand and camera in the other.

I must get myself a brag mat. Can someone show this dunce where the link on the site is to get one?

post-3021-1254742142_thumb.jpg

post-3021-1254742154_thumb.jpg

post-3021-1254742170_thumb.jpg

post-3021-1254742185_thumb.jpg

Very nice report, i can feel the enthusiasm and glee from your writing. You must have come out of a fish drought or something right? :P

You have got the bread and butter species wired alright, some nice insight into your knowledge as well, thanks for that :)

Seemed like a really nice outing despite the weather, keep it up.

Congrats on the catch. That's an awsome haul. Mine me asking what bait did you use?

Very nice report, i can feel the enthusiasm and glee from your writing. You must have come out of a fish drought or something right? :P

You have got the bread and butter species wired alright, some nice insight into your knowledge as well, thanks for that :)

Seemed like a really nice outing despite the weather, keep it up.

Hehehe - that's a great report! Congrats on a terrific day on the water, mate. Your assessment of the conditions was obviously spot on, hence the fun day on the water. That was good of you to share that information on the forum :thumbup: Make sure you submit your tarwine to the Records Section ;)

Cheers

Hodgey

:1yikes::yahoo: Mate what can I say other than I am jealous! I love my Breambo's and spent the best part of the day on the harbour yesterday chasing them for 2 only!! I should have gone to the Bay instead..thats a great haul of Bream! cheers Sam

Thanks for the comments guys - it certainly makes my head feel bigger than it already is!

The fish were all caught on worms, both tube worms and bloodworms - some days one performs better than the other. The fish were more active on the rising tide but they were still biting on the falling tide.

When the bite slows down, it gives the rays and sharks a chance to find the bait and the aggravation starts.

Lets hope the warm water stays around but I expect it will come and go until around Mid december when it shouls hang around until May next next year.

Oh and another observation - 4 of the bream were in spawning condition - and from my observations, at least a few of the fish from each catch are in spawning condition, regardless of the time of year.

It's pretty strange...like they feel the need to constantly spawn...

So can someone please tell me the link to the brag mat purchase page?

Well done Keflapod, that was a very very good Botany Bay session :thumbup: .... The bream lovers in your family will be very happy with a tarwine of that size......good judgement too, going out to fish the first easterly change after the ongoing southerly was about as good the bay gets, and looking at your overall catch, the fish sure stocked up on their food for quite a few days ahead....

Good effort!

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

By the way Keflaplod, that mid river invite is looking pretty good for the near future and George and I will be looking forward to hearing from you, but rest assured we wouldn't be taking off anywhere as the Lugarno -Menai ferry I mentioned has been missing for quite a few years now :lol:

Well done Keflapod, that was a very very good Botany Bay session :thumbup: .... The bream lovers in your family will be very happy with a tarwine of that size......good judgement too, going out to fish the first easterly change after the ongoing southerly was about as good the bay gets, and looking at your overall catch, the fish sure stocked up on their food for quite a few days ahead....

Good effort!

Cheers

By the way Keflaplod, that mid river invite is looking pretty good for the near future and George and I will be looking forward to hearing from you, but rest assured we wouldn't be taking off anywhere as the Lugarno -Menai ferry I mentioned has been missing for quite a few years now :lol:

Hey Byron,

I didn't base my strategy on an easterly change after a southerly, rather on coastal sea temp being high on a rising tide. Is your strategy based on the change of barometric pressure, ie I guess it would be rising quickly with the easterly change after it was low during the southerly?

You know I have never really taken Barometric pressure into account - oh well, it's good to see that there is still stuff to learn - bcos if we knew it all, fishing would be predictable and boring.

RayR,

You know the bream will last barely a week - the relos are bream vacuum cleaners, then again, I have to confess I'm pretty close to being that as well. I really enjoy preparing and cooking them, doing the traditional Greek salad, crusty bread - I haven't tired of them yet...

Hodgey,

Oh well, I guess the people who have genuine Fishraider brag mats have got a priceless piece of history - "do I hear $50, going once, going twice...."

Hey Byron,

......I didn't base my strategy on an easterly change after a southerly, rather on coastal sea temp being high on a rising tide. Is your strategy based on the change of barometric pressure, ie I guess it would be rising quickly with the easterly change after it was low during the southerly?

Quite often the pressure would rise Tony however from my experience not always ... Still it is amazing how high the barometric pressure can rise and liven up the bite during a slight change in wind direction... For instance, where a southerly or south westerly goes into a SE or a SSE direction in between two fronts it can start rising again only a matter of hours before the start of storms and turbulence associated with the particular trough.....

An easterly wind or influence, particularly one following a southerly or south westerly front encourages fish to come into bays and estuaries and the run in tide assists them.....barometric pressure fluctuations from a figure outside of a low front livens up the bite period .... a similiar situation with the wind occurs outside for rock fishermen wanting to fish with the wind in their face (an easterly aspect) for the reams of baitfish that come in with the wind and tide, hopefully followed by the pecking order of the day...In certain areas with the wind coming into the shore consistently, the catch can be anything from black marlin to cobia to salmon and tailor........Incoming estuary fish require the inside temperatures to be somewhat compatable with the coastal belt outside, otherwise, when there is a general shortage of fish in an estuary you would more than likely do better around the adjacent rock and beach areas ouside....On the other hand when this is reversed and the estuaries are warmer as the coastal belt current becomes cooler, fish can be virtually trapped in an estuary to the point where the estuary becomes loaded with hardy predators and particularly sharks....

Cheers