Rock Fishing Help Please!

daeheeyang

Hi raiders! I have been a member for a while but my poor writing skill :( does not make me to post any report...

I usually go estuary fishing with mates and we sometime success to catch beautiful breams and flatties! However, we wanted to catch some bigger fish so, we went to whale beach few times but we have not caught any! (also, we have difficulties to find a good fishing point)

Since I have read a lot of reports, I can see that avoca rock platform is a good place to catch some nice salmon or bream! We will probably go next week but, we have no idea which place could be the best area to success our fishing trip... Are their any avoca experts to help us? Is it good enough to use my 7ft graphite rod or better idea to get a surf cast rod?

thanks,

post-8960-1255749894_thumb.jpg

Edited by daeheeyang

Hey There,

Do not worry about your writing Skills I can understand you loud and clear!!!

Lets worry about your fishing... As I am not real experienced I have been relying on this site quite alot and have started to get results.

I am not too clued up on the Rocks but one thing I will mention is if your going Rock Fishing please remember to Do it safely with all the right safety equipment Like rock boots life jackets and not to mention the weather as if its a windy day the waves can get quite high and it just not worth it.

I have started Fishing from Avoca Beach and I have caught Salmon and tailor not alot but enough to put a smile on my face.....

Probably start there and if that is not enough try the rocks but you will need to cast out far past all the snags if your bottom bouncing. but in saying that I have seen a few angers using large floats and floating their baits on top if that's what you are planning to do then a far cast is not required.

Hope this helps you....

Regards,

Nathan

how u goin mate.beginner is right,be careful on the rocks,the seas can be a bit unpredictable.if you do fish the rocks,domt forget you can catch some great fish right at your feet.with a little bit of bread burley,you can get some drummer,bream,luderick,trevally & a host of other speicies.you could try peeled prawns,fish flesh strips[mullet,yakkas,slimeys],bread,& cunjie for the fish mentioned.you could also try cut or whole pillies & pick up tailor,salmon,kings & bonito depending which location you fish.

regarding your rod,id recomend you use a longer rod off the stones.dont get me wrong,a 7ft rod can stil be used with great sucess off the rocks[i have got some good fish using a 7fter],but a rod in the 9-12ft [some even use 14ft] range is much more practical off the rocks.it helps to hold your line out & over the edge of the platform your fishing so your line & hooked fish dont get caught around the obsticles at the waters edge.its also alot more SAFER.

im sure you can find alotmore info in old post & topics on this great site if you need to find out more.everyone is so forth coming with their experiences & im sure you'l find what you need.

hope this helps you on landing some big fish.

:beersmile: cheers johnny. :thumbup::1fishing1:

I agree with FD and Beginner, you should get a longer rod for fishing the rocks (and beaches too)

A good spinning reel with 15 or 20lb will be ample, match it to a 5-8kg rated rod in the 10-12' range.

ig you are chasing bigger fish such as Mulloway (Jewies), Kingies and Tuna from the rocks you best got for a bigger reel Like a 6500 or 7000 and match it to a 10-15kg rod- load it up with 30lb and use a good mono leader if you plan to use braid- but personally mono is tjhe way to go both from the stones and the beaches. I find braid impractical for beach and rock fishing and the stretch of mono is more suited to what you are trying to achieve,

I can recommend Wilson Live Fibre Rods and Alvey Sidecast reels or Okuma/Diawa/Shimano in spinning reels.

Baitrunners are a good option and are very versatile.

Alveys are simple to use and that last a lifetime with minimal servicing- just wash it down after each use for 5mins under a tap- too easy!

Whole pillies of the rocks on Ganged hooks or large slabs of Mullet/yakka/tuna/bonito are the best baits, along with red rock crabs and cunjevoi- you can collect these baits at most good platforms.

As for questions about Avoca, it is one of the most dangerous platforms in NSW and you should fish with experienced anglpers from ANY platform and make sure you sit and watch the sea for at LEAST 30minutes before attempting to chuck in a line.

Safety is paramount for anyone fishing the rocks.

unpredictable wave condition is one of the things that I did not want to go fishing on rock flatform... as I start to want to catch bigger fish, I think it could be a good idea to try rock fishing.

I will take all you guys advices and if I have any luck next time, I will show you my result! :)

thanks for giving me very very good advices!

regards,

daehee

if you want simple and a fish that pulls hard i think you should go after black/silver drummer.

for drummer, all you need is an outfit that handles 10kg mono, 15kg if you find big ones. bait is just white bread, cunje, cabbage weed or prawns (try banana prawn so pickers don't destroy the bait so quickly). rig is 2 - 1/0 hook with ball sinker down to hook.

places to look for are rocky areas and places with a lot of wash. but when the sun is not fully up, you can also try calm areas that are filled with rocks. these fish lives amongst the rocks and caves so they are shy, so best times are morning and late arvo. also be prepared to lose a few hooks from snags or bust offs

can't get simpler, no fancy rigs or the need to source the freshest or live bait, minimal tackle

i still like live baiting for kings off the rocks but it could be days or weeks before getting a sniff.

Whale beach is great, just be carefull. I was fishing there last week on a flat day at low tide and there were still some waves which rolled up on to the rocks. Almost got washed in oneday when I was younger walking around the south side. Didn't get anything off the rocks but some guys nearby were hooking up the the odd something that mde them hoot. Didn't see anything landed but did see 1 guy wearing a life jacket which I will take next time I head north.

Also caught whiting, bream and chopper tailor in the gutter at the south end last week. every cast got a bite on the beach.

Dan

rock fishing isnt my thing. i had a few sessions with some mates and between the lost tackle, difficult casts, weather and condition sensitivity, rock cod (bastards have swallow so many of my hooks) and risks i definitely prefer other styles/areas.

by the end of it i was getting the hang of it, i suggest you use a 10ft+ rod so you can get you bait out, i suggest mono and fairly heavy line because snags are really a pain in the ass. with heavier line you'll be able to give it a bit more before it breaks. i was using 20lb. id really suggest using floats, id say with sinkers id lose my tackle about 1/6th of the time. with floats it was alot less.

its alot of fun if you have a great spot. good luck :)

Avoca rocks have some higher rock ledges where the wash usually does not get up to. What you can do is look at the rock if it's wet. That is one indication that it's safer. Don't forget the usual things, like watching the sets, lulls for a while to see if it's safe and check the weather and swell conditions.

Those higher rocks are a good place to start out.

Avoca rocks have some higher rock ledges where the wash usually does not get up to. What you can do is look at the rock if it's wet. That is one indication that it's safer. Don't forget the usual things, like watching the sets, lulls for a while to see if it's safe and check the weather and swell conditions.

Those higher rocks are a good place to start out.

Higher rocks at avoca, not wet they are ok?

Man you havn't fished Avoca very often if you think that. Wait till you see a change from S swell to NE swell and in 1hr the rocks go from dry to underwater. You have 10 crews gear floating out to sea, people soaking wet, grazed knees, grazed elboys, sore hamstrings from doing the splits on the slime.

Avoca is not the safe ledge many inexperienced fisherman think it is, yes its easy to get to, but unfortunately it has a rep as safe when it really isn't any safer than other spots. In the right conditions in can be extremely dangerous.

I grew up fishing in Newcastle and we were blessed with both Newcastle and Stockton breakwalls - great fishing. Also, I have been a surfer since I was 14, 37 years and let me say that the ocean isn't anything to take lightly - have seen it all and when rock fishing don't assume that because the rock is dry waves won't reach it. A sudden change in wind can see the swell increase dramatically with devesating efeects - always when rock fishing take extreme care and never fish alone

rock fishing is pretty much summed up in "there are old rock fisherman and there are bold rock fisherman. but there are no old, bold rock fisherman".

Honestly, if u have never rock fished before, why drive to avoca to try it out? Try a spot closer to your location and see if its for you..u will lose tackle, and even possibly all your gear when rock fishing, seen it happen plenty of times before. Be prepared to lose fish as line n rocks dont mix, rock boots are essential, never fish alone. Make sure u can swim (sounds stupid but suprisingly alot of rock fisherman cant swim) and always keep one eye on the ocean for incoming sets etc.

Avoca isnt more dangerous than any other exposed rock ledge. Uve just gotta use common and acquired sense.

Higher rocks at avoca, not wet they are ok?

Man you havn't fished Avoca very often if you think that. Wait till you see a change from S swell to NE swell and in 1hr the rocks go from dry to underwater. You have 10 crews gear floating out to sea, people soaking wet, grazed knees, grazed elboys, sore hamstrings from doing the splits on the slime.

Avoca is not the safe ledge many inexperienced fisherman think it is, yes its easy to get to, but unfortunately it has a rep as safe when it really isn't any safer than other spots. In the right conditions in can be extremely dangerous.

spot on .if you know what your doing 3 mts of south swell is fine ,2 foot of ne swell is what 99 % of all deaths at avoca occure in, small 2 foot ne east wind swell ,this kind of swell with deep water and vertical rock faces will knock you about more than good soild ground swell from the south .

if you go to fish avoca and the point has suffers on it go home unless you are pepeared to go for a swim ,

Edited by customcasting

spot on .if you know what your doing 3 mts of south swell is fine ,2 foot of ne swell is what 99 % of all deaths at avoca occure in, small 2 foot ne east wind swell ,this kind of swell with deep water and vertical rock faces will knock you about more than good soild ground swell from the south .

if you go to fish avoca and the point has suffers on it go home unless you are pepeared to go for a swim ,

excellent advice...avoca had taken alot of lives in the past and it will take some more...you need to bring and use your safety gear (boots, vest, ropes) all the time...i have seen alot of fishos fishing on the rocks just wearing thongs and t-shirt...just plain crazy...

if you are going rocks hopping, make sure you check the spot 1st...see where the waves are coming, how high is the swell and never ever turn your back on the waves...always keep an eye 4 u and your mates...

have a safe fishing everyone...hope you catch a big one soon...

i actually was fishing there yesturday,, and even though the swell was not big there is always the odd wave that will jump up on you, the 3 musts have to be never fish alone, rock shoes, and dont ever turn ur back on the sea

what time yesterday? did u see the whales go past at around 6pm? soooo awesome. i was under the skillion at terrigal spinning n they were 50 metres of the point, absolutely amazing.

Geez guys - I think you've sufficiently delivered the 'Rock fishing is dangerous' message!!

Rock fishing is also a lot of fun. Spend some time watching the spot, know what the tides and weather are doing and you should be fine.

For info on fishing off the Avoca rock ledge just search the forum for posts by Ray R. There's a heap of them.

Mate. I spent most of the 80, nineties and early noughties fishing the rocks.

It is NOT safe! the moment you let your guard down, it will kill you STONE MOTHERLESS DEAD.

By all means fellas have fun, but take it as seriously as playing with loaded guns.

If you want some examples of what can go wrong PM me and I will be happy to provide some horror stories experienced by my bunch of mates, even though we have more experience than you can possible imagine.

If you think your safe on the rocks, you need to get really scared by a situation, which hopefully wont kill you. Then you will have the necessary respect to survive to be old and ugly like me!

Cheers

Chris

Rock fishing can be dangerous, but no more so than a lot of other activities out there. The trick is to have a good idea of the risk associated with fishing a certain rock ledge in different weather, swell and tide conditions and go from there. If you're careful about checking all that info before you go out, and know about the area you're fishing then you should be able to lower the risk of running into trouble. If you're going for a drive you change your driving style according to the conditions, you don't start taking corners at 150kph in torrential rain on a dirt road. The same goes with rock fishing, you don't fish when the conditions aren't right and without the right safety gear.

The problems start when people don't bother to check out the conditions where they're fishing, don't have the right safety gear and don't know when to pack up and leave when it's getting too rough. It would be interesting to know what percentage of people hurt or killed when rock fishing took reasonable precautions before venturing out. I'd say it would be pretty low...

• 3 weeks later...

Things to check

(1) General weather - weather.com

(2) Wind speed - don't brother when strong wind warning - check BOM

(3) Sea sizes - A lot of people forget about sea

(4) Swell - Direction is so important again people forget about as people point out Avoca is south Swell spots, forget about 2m swell if you are in-experience

(5) Check for 15-20 min minium befor start , or use i-phone to keep up up-date , coastalwatch.com.au

(6) Always expect a bigger set than normal, it does happen

(7) Plan an escape rout and never fish where wave wash back

(8) Safety wear is a must

I use to go to avalon only see the whole platform under-water so stupid.................