Pb King At South Head

spongy

Here's a report on yesterday's assault on the recent kingy school at Colours.

Got to the spot just on day break looking for slimies but none found, just a heap of sweep. My buddy threw out an unweighted 6 inch sluggo and immediately hooked into rat. So I dropped a jig down as they have been doing the damage in the last few weeks. A couple of lifts and I was also on. Result was a 50cm and 64cm. A few more boats turned up and they too were getting into them. Our hook up rate slowed right down so we decided to go and collect some yakkas. 1 hour later came back to find the place chockers. The action was still slow and nothing like the previous weeks. A school of big salmon came by and demolished both our livies. Landed 2 fat salmons the biggest went 65cm. Didnt see anyone land any keepers so we took off to North Head away from the crowds.

My mate had a big take on his yakka which reefed him even though he was fishing heavy, so really disappointed losing a solid king. The southerly picked up and made North Head uncomfortable so we decided to head in. Went to the Quarantine marker to find heaps of boats all huddled around the marker like it was a camp fire. Flicked a sluggo plastic and immediately had a few rats chase it. Gave my mate a go and he changed the retrieve speed and hooked up on his first cast. All rats so we moved on.

We went back to Colours as it would have been sheltered from the southerly. By this time all but a couple of boats had left so we had the place to ourselves and we were out of the wind.

We started burleying with yakka pieces and had a few rats come up but were hesitant to strike. 30 min later My TLD outfit has a big strike with a screaming run. I was in 25m of water and was fishing just off the bottom. In fear of getting reefed, I cranked up the drag and got back some line. This fish was real agro and the TLD was still screaming on the kingey's 2nd run. I cranked the drag up close to limit and had the biggest bend in my 24kg rod. I knew this would be my PB if only a could boat it. the fight lasted a quick 10 minutes and soon had it boat side. We forgot the net so my mate had to tail grab it. On his second attempt we had my PB in the boat. Hi-5s in the boat, and as Im measuring him, Fisheries come by to inspect the fish. Result was a PB of 95cm. We were happy to call it a day after that even though it was 5cm short of the magical 1 metre mark. Just means we have to do it again next week.

post-5874-1261278827_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Jeff

Great fish Spongy.

I was out there also yesterday in the same area - got a couple of decent ones as well, but nothing like as good as yours. What time did you get it?

Shame fisheries didn't show up earlier as i saw a couple of blokes keep a very small fish. I gave them a gob full and they quickly drove off!

Had to laugh at your Quarantine comment - i went there for a look on the way in but didn't even bother stopping. Why do people fish so close to each other - especially when they are only rats!?

I am also on a mission to break the metre mark in the harbour (have caught them offshore and in NZ). There are plenty around just got to get one to stick instead of busting me off!

Good luck in your quest.

Cheers

Jim

does anyone mind sharing the GPS co ordinates of colours, PM me if you dont mind sharing.

Mate the GPS marks for the colours are no secret - do an internet search for it and you will find plenty of references... Just go out there and drive around and you will find lots of good ground to fish.

Or at the moment just go out the Heads, turn right and drive to where all the boats are, especially if its a weekend! Yesterday it was like a boat park out there!!

Thanks for the kind replies.

The gear I was running was a TLD25 2speed spooled with 50lb line on a 24kg Shimano Beastmaster. Glad I didnt hook it on my spin outfit - would have ended in tears.

Had the kingey fillets for lunch today - soooo satisfying knowing I caught that.

Jim,

Caught the kingy around 11am, about an hour after high tide.

Tight lines all.

Jeff

Edited by spongy

Great fish Spongy.

I was out there also yesterday in the same area - got a couple of decent ones as well, but nothing like as good as yours. What time did you get it?

Shame fisheries didn't show up earlier as i saw a couple of blokes keep a very small fish. I gave them a gob full and they quickly drove off!

Had to laugh at your Quarantine comment - i went there for a look on the way in but didn't even bother stopping. Why do people fish so close to each other - especially when they are only rats!?

I am also on a mission to break the metre mark in the harbour (have caught them offshore and in NZ). There are plenty around just got to get one to stick instead of busting me off!

Good luck in your quest.

Cheers

Jim

long time reader, first time poster. sorry to make my first post such a shit one, but jim77 has rather offended me. the bloke he is referring to is me, and the fish in question was size. jim77, i wasnt aware your vision came with a built in ruler, and am amazed that you can tell the size of fish from over 50 meters away!!

like our forum administrator says, if you dont hav anything useful to post, then dont post anything at all. the fish was size, and i dont appreciate being screamed at on the water.

thanks

frankie fish

Edited by Frankie Fish

long time reader, first time poster. sorry to make my first post such a shit one, but jim77 has rather offended me. the bloke he is referring to is me, and the fish in question was size. jim77, i wasnt aware your vision came with a built in ruler, and am amazed that you can tell the size of fish from over 50 meters away!!

like our forum administrator says, if you dont hav anything useful to post, then dont post anything at all. the fish was size, and i dont appreciate being screamed at on the water.

thanks

frankie fish

Fishraiders ARE everywhere people :thumbup: . Frankie it is a damn shame that you joined up today at 1.52pm just to have the last word with jim77 in this public fashion, there really was no need to identify yourself.

Perhaps you and jim77 may like to discuss this offline via pm - apologies all round might be the order of the day.

Looking forward to reading some of your posts that share your fishing experiences with us Frankie

Sorry to Spongy for ruining his post too!

mrsswordfisherman