Raiders- How Much Rain Has There Been In Your Area?

jewgaffer

Hi Raiders, I was wondering what the rain situation has been like in your particular area since Christmas Day and also the strength of the wind for that matter.. Has anyone experienced long periods of heavy rain where they are or have been over the past few days?

I live in the Campbelltown area and it has been noticably bleak and cloudy ever so steadily and constantly out here since last Friday to such an extent that there has hardly been any noticable fluctation at all in the atmosphere... There hasn't been any sunshine up here at all but I must say that the sky has a lot more light coming out above what appears to be segmented storm cloud not on the move but marking time directly over towards the west at this moment ...

Over the last five days in a row the wind direction has been consistently coming from the south .... Wind gusts have been hardly noticeable.. On most of the days the southerly has been and almost still at times and the sky has been cloudy even looking quite eery at certain times of the day ...

As far as any sort of relief day is concerned, at no stage has this southerly influence shown any sign of being either fresh or cool, nor has the cloud cover looked stormy as such, in fact it has been monotonously still, nor has it been threatening to rain heavily up here on any day so far.... In fact we have hardly had any rain up here except for a few specks here and there over a five or a ten minute period or so and they have been more like humidity pockets and spits of rain rather than actual rain...

Has anyone been out fishing since Christmas and experienced a lot of rain on the day?... If so where were you fishing, what was the fishing like in general, and what species were more active than others if that was the case and in particular, what was the water like on the day ?

Also has anyone experienced large volumes of rain in their particular area over the past few days or so and what is the water looking like in the particular area where you may be at the moment?

Thanks Raiders, and whether you may be in Sydney or on one part of the coastline or another including the south coast and also South Eastern Qld for that matter, I was wondering if you wouldn't mind elaborating a little on what the weather has been like in the particular area since Christmas..

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Went out from Botany Bay on Boxing day.. Big Swell, Really Choppy, The rain was kinda on and off,, It wasnt heavy but it was still there :mad3:

We got a legal Flathead.. & i lost a bloody kingfish again while trolling .. Bugger he could of been my first legal :thumbdown:

There was schools of Pillys jumping all over the place ! And there was a school of Tailor under them ..

Forster

Big winds on Xmas Day but no rain

Boxing Day - some light-medium rain all afternoon, no real wind

27th - Consistent rain early, then clear from 10am-2pm, then heaps of rain

28th - Rain earlly, then a break till 1.30pm, consistent rain since then. small break just now 5.45pm

Looks like it is a consistent pattern till New year! Luckily, the big winds didn't eventuate - this is what plays havoc on camping visitors to Forster. Rain, you can put up with - big wind & rain & it is very difficult!

Roberta

I snuck out for a fish in the yak & had some terrific hits on poppers ....... only the small fish hooked! :mad3:

We copped a soaking on the Tweed River all of last night. BOM has issued a flood warning for the river but it has been downgraded from this morning.

Bugger!! Hopefully the fish haven't moved too far downstream. I'll be trying further down river to try to find where they have gone.

Cheers,

Grant.

Lots of rain on the Northern Beaches too.

I think the rain has put off the fish too.

I just had two sessions for bugger all fish..just a few small bream and

zero flatties.

I went yesterday morning at 7am to Narra Lake and was joined by Vu (VietGod on Fishraider)

for very few takes. The lack of poddies had a lot to do with it as they were few & far between

and even then..too small for livies.

The sand flats were devoid of fish which is unusual too.

This arvo, after the rain had eased..I went down again and same result..no poddies and no fish

apart from 2 just under legal bream.

Went home with a wet bum and no fish.

Oh well..at least I tried.

I went out yesterday on a friends boat on sydney harbour. Left from rude went straight to north head area to catch yakkas. Plenty there. Went to lighthousejust outside south head in 40m of water and caught ok sized flathead and nanygui. Swell picked up to 2.5m and wind picked up to 25 knots by 10am. Trilled back to Clarke island for a while catching 2 bonito about 40cm. Then fished around Clarke island. One bonito, small snapper and one decent bream and one 38cm flathead. Then o e bonito same size then others. Then one hit which lasted all of 30 seconds which snapped my 30 pound leader. No rain. Lots of medium wind and no bird action. Lots of small to medium fish.

Hi Jewgaffer, We get a lot of our rain from your way. I have been on my property for 18years & only twice have we been close to running out of water. :05: I have a 25,000gal tank & a 26,000gal tank & we were down to about 1000gal before Christmas. Checked the tanks today & we would have about 40,000gal combined. :thumbup: This would give us enought water for about 3months without rain. :yahoo: The rain has put a dampner on my fishing plans, however we sure needed the rain. Were going fishing :1fishing1: tomorrow, doesn't matter what. The boats hooked up, the bait & gear is in, the alarm is set. The camera is aboard, here's hoping I will be able to post a good outing.

Regards Jeff

Hi Jewgaffer,

I was fishing in Birchgrove from 5am to 12pm today (28th December). It was spitting with rain and drizzly until about 8am and then there were heavier showers punctuated with drizzle periods. It was never what I would call heavy rain, but it was pretty much constantly raining the whole time. I was thoroughly soaked (and cold! I didn't move to Australia for this weather ;) ) and had nothing except a barely legal bream to show for it!

James.

are you thinking what i'm thinking byron

a week worth off rain a good flush off the hawks a steady flow off chocky milk rapping around the joey

sounds like jew fish time behind barren joey head land every thing with teeth could be waiting for a feed

cheers gary

Hi Jewgaffer

Been light to medium rain on the Hacking. Been throwing everything at them but only small returns. Have gone for the odd jew fish with stored frozen squid but no luck. The river has not muddied up which is a sign this area has not received alot of water. The river seems lifeless if you know what I mean.

TJ

Hi Raiders, I was wondering what the rain situation has been like in your particular area since Christmas Day and also the strength of the wind for that matter.. Has anyone experienced long periods of heavy rain where they are or have been over the past few days?

I live in the Campbelltown area and it has been noticably bleak and cloudy ever so steadily and constantly out here since last Friday to such an extent that there has hardly been any noticable fluctation at all in the atmosphere... There hasn't been any sunshine up here at all but I must say that the sky has a lot more light coming out above what appears to be segmented storm cloud not on the move but marking time directly over towards the west at this moment ...

Over the last five days in a row the wind direction has been consistently coming from the south .... Wind gusts have been hardly noticeable.. On most of the days the southerly has been and almost still at times and the sky has been cloudy even looking quite eery at certain times of the day ...

As far as any sort of relief day is concerned, at no stage has this southerly influence shown any sign of being either fresh or cool, nor has the cloud cover looked stormy as such, in fact it has been monotonously still, nor has it been threatening to rain heavily up here on any day so far.... In fact we have hardly had any rain up here except for a few specks here and there over a five or a ten minute period or so and they have been more like humidity pockets and spits of rain rather than actual rain...

Has anyone been out fishing since Christmas and experienced a lot of rain on the day?... If so where were you fishing, what was the fishing like in general, and what species were more active than others if that was the case and in particular, what was the water like on the day ?

Also has anyone experienced large volumes of rain in their particular area over the past few days or so and what is the water looking like in the particular area where you may be at the moment?

Thanks Raiders, and whether you may be in Sydney or on one part of the coastline or another including the south coast and also South Eastern Qld for that matter, I was wondering if you wouldn't mind elaborating a little on what the weather has been like in the particular area since Christmas..

Cheers

Hi Jewgaffer, I put a thread up earlier under mid north coast.

I don't if it will help with your readings.

iN THE LAST FORTNIGHT SCOTTS HEAD beach has lost most of its sand ,

it has been dumped out on our close reef's, a few pinnacles we fish on

are half submerged in sand,have never seen it before not in the last

forty years. hope info helps.

cheers rick.

Hi Jewgaffer, I put a thread up earlier under mid north coast.

I don't if it will help with your readings.

iN THE LAST FORTNIGHT SCOTTS HEAD beach has lost most of its sand ,

it has been dumped out on our close reef's, a few pinnacles we fish on

are half submerged in sand,have never seen it before not in the last

forty years. hope info helps.

cheers rick.

any banks left over for a surf?????may be going up there soon

jewgaffer,

i have fished the whole of syd harbour over the last week.

24th dec- fished around the channel markers in the harbour with live bait, yakkas. weather was calm and sunny. no rain. no fish at all, no surface action either.

28th, poured rain between 7am and 9am around bradleys head, couldnt see 100m in front. lure fishing, mainly sluggos and poppers, hit all channel markers and bouys, no hits, no fish, no surface action. strong rain with strong southerly winds.

29th, sunny weather all day, fished middle harbour between bantry bay and spit bridge. targeting flathead on soft plastics, no hits , no fish, murky water. i did see some small tailor schools around spit moorings. no kings.

the fishing has been really slow and unusally harder. the weather has defiently affected the schools that have been surfacing and the usual suspects in the upper reaches of the harbour.

if anyone has been successful in catching a king in the past couple of days on lure it would be good to know.

cheers

Cheers

Hi again jewgaffer, Just worked out our rainfall for 2009,

We live on the same mountain range as Dorrigo and Bellingen.

A whopping 2,525 ml or 101 inches. not bad seeing two much for bone dry.

cheers.

any banks left over for a surf?????may be going up there soon

Hi Guipago, No worries pal,one real good southerly will fix it.

cheers Rick.

Jewgaffer, I too am from the Campbelltown area. Went across Georges River by train at East Hills over the last 3 days - murky, murky, murky. Wanting to head out tomorrow morning, Sat or Sunday along Georges and Botany. I'm all fired up but will depend on the weather.

At some stage those buggers will have to come on the bite. After all, a mans fishs not a fish man. :074::074::074::074:

Flano

Edited by Flano

Jewgaffer, I too am from the Campbelltown area. Went across Georges River by train at East Hills over the last 3 days - murky, murky, murky.

Flano

Thanks for the latest information on the Georges Flano and good to hear that you're in the Campbelltown area too :thumbup: .... I think the Hawkesbury will start to out shine both the Bay and the Georges soon...A couple of friends and myself are planning to go up there from Campbelltown very early in the morning on Saturday....Unless they have a lot more rain up there, it looks like the water will be in pretty good condition in the downriver sections, and particularly Pittwater which clears up quite quickly and should be near enough to sparkling by then one would think......I'm also hoping that the mild north easterly on Saturday encourages some action particularly if it gets stormy as forecast... still in a perfect situation we can only hope that it only rains periodically while we are up there as we don't really need a thorough soaking as a reward for effort :1yikes::biggrin2: ....

By the way Flano, there is another southerly due to come in on Sunday and that might make it cooler after all the humidity we've had... A change into cooler weather might be all that's needed to liven the fish right up for a while and especially if going out in the afternoon and evening on Sunday, and have a fish during the first run in tide after the big southerly blow up due early on Sunday morning..

Cheers

Cam & family arrived last night & brought the rain back with them! :1badmood: Ah well, we had a pretty good day yesterday, the first since Xmas Day that you could get out & about without fear of rain! Looks like it should clear again on Monday!

My buddies out at Merrygoen have had their dams filled (first time in about 10 years since that happened last!) and have had substantial 'gentle' rain, which is terrific for them, so can't begrudge the rain, really.

Just gotta feel sorry for the campers who will be miserable in confined spaces!! Did I tell you that Cam & family will be camping up the coast for a week soon??

Cheeiro

Roberta

Just got this from my buddies in Merrygoen - Chris & Mike have been on the farm since the 70s & Mike actually grew up on the farm, so has been on it about 60 years ...... and this is only the 2nd wettest December ever! And they keep their rain records & analyse them regularly to see if there is a pattern forming!

....Still raining here. Had 35 mm today and still going. Last month's rainfall made it our second wettest December, but with the other poor months, one of our driest years. All the dams are full and we can now truthfully say we are sitting here watching the grass grow. Risked our first full bath in about 10 years. How wasteful!! Did not even syphon the water out of the washing machine to the garden this morning......

Edited by Roberta