Hawkesbury Afternoon Session Monday 17/4

jewgaffer

Hi Raiders Just a quick report back to you after spending a few hours fishing for jewfish in the lower Hawkesbury on Monday afternoon..

I took my Savage side console up to Brooklyn on Monday mainly to give my 35hp motor a good run to see if I needed to update the horse power or not, and at the same time do a short jewfish session from around lunch time till sunset as we had to be back at Geoff's by 7pm to catch his butcher and get some extra meat for the barbecue that Geoff was putting on for Jim and myself.

Here's the report:-

On board with me was Geoff (aka Geoff on Fishraider) and an old friend of mine Jim Bowers who's also a member of Fishraider and came down from Ballina to stay with Shirl and myself for a couple of weeks or so....

The purpose of this session was mainly to give my 35hp Evinrude motor a good final test run loaded with three altogether to see if I needed to see Huey to update the horse power to 50hp or a 60hp Merc perhaps that Huey can also get in as well as carrying a good range of Evinrude E-Tech models which also appeal to me as being a good proposition to consider along with Huey's advice as to the optimum motor size and the optimum prop size for the boat as well..

We decided to take a few rods up there with us plus a few arrow squid and about 30 slimies and yakkas that I had left over from a previous session and see if we could get onto a couple of jewfish .

The result after fully testing the hp of my motor:- Although the Savage managed to plane along quite ok with it's four blade prop, there wouldn't have been enough horse power in the 35hp when the boat was fully loaded to push the boat along well enough should a decent swell happen to come up at the mouth when going back into the river for instance...

At this stage it looks like I'll be buying a new Mercury motor and hopefully thru Huett Marine. I also have a couple of heavy deep cycle batteries that Geoff mounted inside a seat box he made to go underneath a swivel chair in the bow area which are needed to run the Motorguide...My AGM 120 amp hour batteries alone weigh almost as much as carrying an extra person travelling in the bow area anyway..

Report:-

The weather was a complete turn around from the previous fine days we've had on end and the rain was just what we wanted as, right from the word go we were getting baited down deep by bream, tailor and we caught heaps of catfish well behind the reef we fished using 8/0s and 10/0s... As soon as the baits settled we were constantly getting small bites and occasionally catching small fish on the 8/0s and 10/s in the deepwater no matter where we moved to.

We managed to get a couple of soapies and then Jim went down to a 1/0 and caught a bream for Shirley and hooked up a good size fish on a 5" storm shad that made a couple of good runs and was unfortunately taken on the way up by a bigger fish or a shark perhaps.

Anyway we managed to get onto a couple of soapies towards the end of the run out tide by fishing into a fairly fast current out in the open just wide of the entrance into Brooklyn itself.

I'd like to thank Geoff and Jim for their help and good company on the day and a big thank you to Geoff for putting on a nice rump steak dinner for us when we got back. Thanks again from Jim and myself Geoff :thumbup:

It appears there are a mile of soapies in the system... here's a couple of photos taken during 3 hours of actual fishing during the stop and start rain..

The general bite never stopped at any stage in the last half of the run out tide and we could have caught more fish in general if we hadn't decided to only use 8/0s and 10/0's on the day...

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

post-829-127426077404_thumb.jpg

post-829-127426195089_thumb.jpg

post-829-127426201013_thumb.jpg

Edited by jewgaffer

great to see ya back on the water mate.:yahoo:

fishing with mates then a bbq afterwards and target species caught how goods that.

yes i do agree about the donk... needs a few extra horses as ya dont wanna fall short if ya need it...

cheers.....steve.......

Hi Byron,

Always good to pick up some jewies.

I have really sooked out with this weather and been slack about fishing for jews even though i promised myself i would target them april/may.

Mh has dropped off with even the kings starting to thin out. The resident kings on some of the wrecks have moved on for now.

Cheers

great report mate!

Ill be heading down in a week to try get my first jewie on plastics so it looks like ill be in with a good chance :)

your 35 would be perfect for my boat... let me know if you end up selling it

Pete

Thanks Breambucket,

If you are interested in my 35hp Evinrude Elan Peter and want to have a look at it, feel free to contact either Craig or Roger at Huett Marine, Cowan on 94561444... Huett's are currently in the process of ordering and fitting a 60hp Mercury Bigfoot to my Savage side console....

Cheers

G'day Byron,

Great to hear you managed to get out on the water with Geoff and Jimmy. This boat of yours will be a real super machine by the sound of it.

Mike (Zenman), what's the go? last year you had no canopy and this year you are in the lap of luxury. Harden up sunshine and go get yourself some jewies. :P

As most people have said, it's great to see you out on the water again with a few mates Byron! :thumbup: It's even better to see you again with some jewies on board!

I'm looking forward to seeing more reports.

Cheers

Peter

Nice going mate :)

I remember when we were going to go for a fish, I can't remember what happened i just remembered just then, Anyways i'm going to head up to the hawkesberry next week and was wondering if you could PM me a few tips :) It'd be good :1fishing1:

Cheers

Edited by cut_loose

...The pics remind me of the movie 'grumpy old men' :074:

:Funny-Post: "Grumpy old men" ay that's the nicest comment I've had since I was a teenager :lol: Outfisher you've earned yourself a seat in the bow the very next time the same "Grumpy old men" hit the Hawkesbury :thumbup:

Never mind about jewfishing tactics just make sure you bring a video camera along so you can record the funnier moments of our jewfishing antics :biggrin2:

Cheers