Nsw Fisheries

anf

The Fisheries only go to convenient spots from what I can see, they wait you for at the ramps or pull you up on the boats, I have seen them on the their boats coming to wharfs but anything Isolated I haven't seen them, not they don't go there but I reckon far and few in between.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was watching a show on tv ages ago, and it was filmed in NZ.

It showed fisheries inspectors going about different boat ramps

and beaches checking peoples catches. They even had authority to

check peoples vehicles, they were in uniform, cant remember if they

had two way radios (maybe), most importantly all these fisheries

inspectors were volunteers and they worked closely with the govt

employed fisheries inspectors. Most of these guys and gals were

fishos themslves.

I wonder if such a thing would work here.

cheers

Was it part of "Coastwatch" or something?

I remember they had a massive stakeout of some guys who were collecting mussels and paua. They had a HEAP of people in camo gear, ATVs, binoculars, the whole shebang. They all swarmed down on the guys as they were getting into their utes and cut off their escape route. In the end, the only offense they had was having too many mussels. They got a pretty small fine for such a huge operation.

I must look guilty!In the last 10 days I have had the Fisheries rubber ducky check me over twice.Once last week at North Head(pity they can only enforce Fisheries issues not tools trolling through schools of fish)and today at The Sticks off Neilson Park.

Today the very lovely Irish girl came aborad and looked under every hatch and in all containers for undersize fish.So they are about.

I got to say that by the sounds of it some of you have been very lucky.

I have been checked by the fisheries on numerous occassions, both in the harbour and surrounds and a fair distance out. I have seen them out at the Peak twice. They had a big mother ship and the inspectors were going from boat to boat in a rib. I have also seen them wider out towards the 12 mile - so it goes to show they do get around.

As others have said - if you keep undersized fish regularly eventually you will get caught.

I have a couple of numbers for the officers stored in my phone. When i see people blatantly keeping undersized Kings i call up and report their rego number. I reported the same boat/fisherman 3 times last year!!

I got stopped recently in the harbour and one of the inspectors was a guy i know who has made a career change. I'm hoping he might be able to respond a bit quicker if i call him and tell him theres lots of #ickheads at the wedding cake (or whatever it might be) keeping undersize fish. It would be very satisfying to hang around and watch people blowing up when they get smashed with a big fine!

It would be nice if people just did the right thing........

Its a tough subject this one, i would glady pay alot more for a fishing licence if it meant more results, i have seen many fishing incidents where people are keeping undersize fish, like down at Audley on the weekend, it makes me sick. 4 months ago on the hacking i saw two people not from Aus originally(hope that does not sound racist) but they had dropped over ten crab pots all in a big line along a bank,(pots are illegal in port hacking) i was fishing close to one of their pots, they were giving me nasty gestures to GO AWAY. It was infuriating. I snorkel in port hacking and have done for 30 years now and have watched the decline of blue swimmers over the last 30yrs drop dramatically...In the distance i saw the waterways officer(Fiona) coming in her boat with a female fisheries officer on board, one by one they pulled up the pots and released the crabs, when they were ten feet away from my stern i said "im not stupid, they're not mine". They said they knew and proceeded over to the other boat , the fisheries officer spent about 2 mins on board, did no paperwork, released the crabs they had on board the fishing boat and left, they certainly did not give a fine out as i watched, im sure the two on board did the old "i speak no english routine".

Something more certainly needs to be done to curb this problem, they need to work weekends from wharves, boatramps and fishing spots and have 2 weekdays off instead..They are very limited by funding from the government and very limited by the powers they have been given, then there are the safety issues in dealing with illegal fisherman..

There isnt enough police as it is, so taking a police officer off their normal duties to check undersize fish and bag limits isnt really an option and it way way down on a police officer's priority list if there at all when the world we live in is full of drunks, drug addicts, women bashers, paedophiles and child molesters. I would have the shits if a police officer was taken away from their normal duties to inspect fishing catches.

If the fisheries went to Wally's Wharf (Dolans Bay) the would have a field day!

Edited by Whaler 255

I am sure everyone on these boards fully understands the laws with regards to licensing and undersize fish, however i'm am not so sure if the general public realize these rules. example being, if my dad came out with me fishing (he doesnt fish much if at all) would he know the rules etc I think not, therefore it will be up to myself to educate.

Is this education happening at the moment in the general public?

Thats why im glad there are so many fishing shows on TV at the moment to educate people, however more needs to be done.

Do fines really make a difference to people who have always kept undersized fish and dont learn their lessons or would more fines reduce them from wanting to fish/keep undersize fish?

There isnt enough police as it is, so taking a police officer off their normal duties to check undersize fish and bag limits isnt really an option and it way way down on a police officer's priority list if there at all when the world we live in is full of drunks, drug addicts, women bashers, paedophiles and child molesters. I would have the shits if a police officer was taken away from their normal duties to inspect fishing catches.

Police do user pays duties on their days off at sporting venues etc. I am sure some would sign up to do a day on the water. I guess it would come down to funding and who pays the bill.

Edited by Belly

There isn’t enough police as it is, so taking a police officer off their normal duties to check undersize fish and bag limits isn’t really an option and it way way down on a police officer's priority list if there at all when the world we live in is full of drunks, drug addicts, women bashers, paedophiles and child molesters. I would have the shits if a police officer was taken away from their normal duties to inspect fishing catches.

If the fisheries went to Wally's Wharf (Dolans Bay) the would have a field day!

:thumbup: :thumbup: totally agree :biggrin2:

ok now i'm more educated, i feel the pain and hateful of those who keep undersized fishl.

however when i was younger, i didn't know so i kept all the fish (smaller ones to eat).

i think before coming down hard on these people, we need to provide better education and awareness.

i know i don't like to stereotype however most foreigners (migrants) have this problem of keeping everything they catch... well my parents did so i learnt from them.

you gotta remember, in foreign countries catching tiny fish is a big deal and even though we call it undersize, compared to what we used to catch, it's massive!

i think tackleshop owners should ethically provide genuine education to newbies/foreigners about the needs to release undersized fish for conservate reasons rather then the fear of fines. (it's exciting to break the rules! lol).

my 2cents :)

i heard a story a while back, that about 20 years ago, a fisheries officer was killed and chopped up, at the hot water outlet in the central coast.

has anyone else heard about that story? iv did a google search but did not find anything regarding that incicent, maby because it was soo long ago.

but has anyone else heard about that story/rumor?

Gianniz I suspect that most people would know that there are size and bag limits. It’s not a new law that’s been around a few years like fishing licences. So I’d seriously find it difficult to believe those who fish regularly and not know about size limits. On a different note. At least those who take undersize fish have no idea. They tend to use a brick as a snicker, a huge hook, a million pound line, a million pound rod and a massive reel. Just imagine if these people knew how to fish.

there should be more officers arround to catch the people who keep undersize fish but from observations here at times there is a few hypocrits arround when i see people posting up pics of piles of fish some have kept when there is noneed for it

keep a cpl for a feed let the rest go & look after our future

there should be more officers arround to catch the people who keep undersize fish but from observations here at times there is a few hypocrits arround when i see people posting up pics of piles of fish some have kept when there is noneed for it

Hear,Hear,well said.

Police do user pays duties on their days off at sporting venues etc. I am sure some would sign up to do a day on the water. I guess it would come down to funding and who pays the bill.

Belly,

Yeah but there is alot more trouble at sporting events with 10-50000 people at them and 50% of them pissed, rather than 3 people at the local wharf. Some responsibility will lie with the Water Police but Sydney Water Police station is the only 24hr station the others are "on call" so they wont be any help. The only real solution must come from the top and its quite clear that the NSW government isnt interested in undersized fish or bag limits to raise funds though isssuing fines to the offenders. Its easier just to charge law abiding people for the right to fish. When they raise enough money they create another marine park, buts thats another issue.

Edited by Whaler 255

Guest Scotty Lyons

Well this topic has move a few anglers, as we only see Fisheries on the water every blue moon on Botany Bay, (I can`t question other water ways) my thoughts on this is to take them off the water saving us a lot of money and this could lead to reducing fees ect and let them carry out boat ramp, wharf, rocks all land based fishing and hand all water stuff over to Water Ways as there on the water every day on every system let them carry out all on water duties any thoughts on this, it seems to make sence to me.

Regards Scotty Lyons

i have been inspected twice since i started fishing i am 52

1st time was in the moons bay (georges river) fishing for blackfish i had 5 in my live bait well all swiming around.kept 3 let rest go

second time fisheries/maritime cat was tied to the whaf at dolands bay (port hacking) i asked if i could jump in and get to the whaf to get the car.female inspector said yes but she was going to look through my boat while i was gone.ok i said.all good no problems there.this is were the story gets weird.2 months later i was looking at a motorbike kawa1300 for a mate and a blonde come to the door and showes me her hubbys bike.i said i know you she deniys but she was brown as and lived in mainbar i said are you a waterways/fishing inspector she said yes.

these are my only time i have been inspected.

We have been inspected a few times over the years, once at Appletree, there were Fisheries and Waterways looking over boats and gear etc, we were going out (about 8.AM) and Waterways did a safety check while Fisheries were checking gear and licences etc.

The one time that sticks in my mind was Christmas at the Entrance, Fisheries went to the wharf on the northern side of the bridge and absolutely made a killing, we had the boat tied up on the sand (it was about 8 pm) and there was a bunch of them. It was very interesting watching Fisheries conficating gear and small fish. They had so many people in strife they called the local Police to help out.

we asked the Fisheries later what the deal was and they told us there was a blitz on undersized fish and illegal gear over Christmas and The Entrance was a known hot spot.

All I can add to this discussion is we all know the rules and we should all obey the rules, if we don't and get caught whatever penalty we get is our own stupid fault.

CYA

Geoff

Well this topic has move a few anglers, as we only see Fisheries on the water every blue moon on Botany Bay, (I can`t question other water ways) my thoughts on this is to take them off the water saving us a lot of money and this could lead to reducing fees ect and let them carry out boat ramp, wharf, rocks all land based fishing and hand all water stuff over to Water Ways as there on the water every day on every system let them carry out all on water duties any thoughts on this, it seems to make sence to me.

Regards Scotty Lyons

Sounds like a good idea scotty.

I was once checked by a Waterways boat for safety gear compliance. When they were done, a lady walks over the the gunwale of the boat and she was a fisheries inspector.

She then did her bit to check license / fish / gear.

It was an efficient operation but it was a bit scary because the boat I was in at the time was only 4.6 tinny with a 7m+ cat tied off in a sloppy breaking chop in the bay.

They should do things that way I reckon...

Hi Uglyfish,

I agree with you that more should be done about people keeping undersized fish.

I just have a couple of questions for you.

When you say

"but from observations here at times there is a few hypocrits arround when i see people posting up pics of piles of fish some have kept when there is noneed for it"

1. Who are the hypocrytes ?

2. If the people catching undersized fish are the subject of the conversation, then the hypocrites you refer to, are, by definition, those people that complain about catching undersized fish but do it themselves. No-one here has shown that they complain about people keeping small fish but keep undersized fish themselves, are there?

3. As for people posting up pics of "piles of fish", these people are posting pictures of bigger catches that are within their legal rights. So what makes you think these people are doing anything wrong?

4. What makes you think there is no need for it ? Do you know what their criteria are for keeping the fish they kept ?

Uglyfish, I'm not having a go at you. I'm just trying to put some perspective on your comments.

Everybody thinks differently and everybody leads a very different life to that of the next person.

So long as we all abide by the laws, we should all generally get along...

Tony

Edited by Keflapod

This is an interesting topic, a mate of mine who did a fisheries course, was told that only 1 in a few hundred fish make it to 1 year of age and then only 1 in a few more hundred make it to 2 years, then only 1 in a few hundred more make it to 3 years and so on. I'm no rocket scientist but it seems to me that a 40cm Bream which is over 25 years old had about the same chance of getting to that age as me winning lotto.

I think its probably best to let the 40cm model go and keep a 25cm one or am I wrong?

I would like to know the facts on this.

Does any one have any thoughts?

Cheers Langa

Very interesting input Langa. It's one of those things that will keep us all thinking for ages to come. Only solution 100% catch and release BUT that is not acceptable as everyone (who is licensed) should have the right to catch and eat a fish.

I have given some thought on how to better police undersize catches and unlicensed fishermen. It would be a great help if some powers in this regard were extended to council rangers. It seems to me that no training would be required for a ranger to check a licence. Non fishing rangers may not know which species is which and they may run into trouble identifying some species but i am sure that this could be overcome with a little training.

It would surly be in councils interest to better control illegal fishing as it is this group that give us genuine anglers a bad name.

My My

Isn't this a fiesty thread. 54 replies!!!!!!

Just shows everybodies concern about the subject. And rightly so.

However I do think Scotty is on the mark. It is about the big picture response to the problem.

Bit busy now but will post my thoughts later tonight when I have read all the responses.

Hey, gotta have my say here on this one.

Cheers

Trapper Tom.

Isn't it funny. I have been checked once in thirty years of fishing by an inspector in the middle of the night in the Hawkesbury about ten years ago. Yet I have never come across one or seen one since. I am sure if they were a bit more active and visible it would stop the sneaky fisherman doing the wrong thing. Furthermore increase the fines and less people would take the risk.