Please take care

antr

Hi Raiders

Please take care around Long Reef,

On Tue. 8-2-11 while passing Long Reef point about 50 meters wide I was trolling and hit into what sounded like a King or Big Bonnie? when I went in neutral for a split second to grab the rod, a wave from flat sea took my boat turned and ran me strait at the rocks,I still had time to put it in reverse but no chance of stopping.Then she turned and rolled me still in her,Smash bang water every where, screen hit my head and split second saw light and got out,floating with upturned boat, grabbed a seat that was there and my life jacket at the side ( taken off five minutes before, because so calm ) ropes every where but manage to get free, inflate the jacket and hold on to it and the seat,

This is when I said to myself, your not getting out of this, nobody there to help, smell of petrol, sea bashing against the rocks, 5.5 m half cabin floating upside down " will drowning hurt I said to myself,"

Then a voice in my head said get out Anthony and go at the rocks , a smaller wave pushed me towards a small opening and up on the rock , then another , cut every where , not to bad scrambled to safety,if another big wave had come then there would have been no chance,wave to a rock fisho, and thanks to him if he reads this, called ooo for help, that's another story,,,

All in all a great day turned bad, very bad, but I'm still here to tell you ALL PLEASE TAKE CARE,

Now the worst bit, forgot to renew the insurance, and lost the lot....can't believe it. and have got to remove the remains from the beach at weekend, ( help and Ideas appreciated,)

if any ideas you can call me on 0404191959, Anthony

There is not much left,

Mate you escapped with your life luckily. There is a bad bommie that comes out from nowhere near the point so everyone beware. We fished Longreef last Monday & wouldnt go anywhere near the bommie only the nothern side & not too close. 6years ago nearly had the same fate in a friends boat but were just lucky enough to go over the wave before it broke, caught some cracking tailor out of the bommie on that day when we nearly got caught on that wave i Will never forget it, so im glad your all right mate better the boat than your life cheers

Anthony so glad you got out of it in one piece too bad about your equipment but it can all be replaced.

Mother nature is full of surprises I hope this is a eye opener for many boaties myself included to take care and try to be two steps ahead but sometimes luck is just not on your side.

I hope you get back on track in no time,

Regards,

Nathan

Mate I live nearby and would be happy to lend a hand and a 4x4 - PM me

Thanks for the offer,we are meeting at the lookout car park at long reef at 9 am hopefully we can recover the motor a heavy 90 honda thats at low tide, then the hull at high tide about 3 pm,need someone with a boat then,if you know anyone? thanks again

Anthony.

wow Anthony, so sorry to hear about your terrible news & the loss of your boat /fishing gear, but your so lucky to be here still & to go home to your family.Just goes to show how quick something can happen out on the water.Anthony the gear & boat can be replaced at some stage, take care mate

cheers john

Edited by johnv

Mate you escapped with your life luckily. There is a bad bommie that comes out from nowhere near the point so everyone beware. We fished Longreef last Monday & wouldnt go anywhere near the bommie only the nothern side & not too close. 6years ago nearly had the same fate in a friends boat but were just lucky enough to go over the wave before it broke, caught some cracking tailor out of the bommie on that day when we nearly got caught on that wave i Will never forget it, so im glad your all right mate better the boat than your life cheers

Hi Dazzlar,

Im new in boating and forgive me for asking dumb question? What is "bommie" or "bonnie" or "bonny"? Can't find answer from my iphone dictionary. Sounds like bommie is sort of White water area near the rocks? Pls correct me if wrong.

Cheers Phil

Hi Dazzlar,

Im new in boating and forgive me for asking dumb question? What is "bommie" or "bonnie" or "bonny"? Can't find answer from my iphone dictionary. Sounds like bommie is sort of White water area near the rocks? Pls correct me if wrong.

Cheers Phil

Phil,

bommie is short for bombora which is "an indigenous Australian term for an area of large sea waves breaking over a shallow area such as a submerged rock shelf, reef or sand bank"

Glad your OK.

Cheers,

Cam

Edited by Tiger Cam

Phil,

bommie is short for bombora which is "an indigenous Australian term for an area of large sea waves breaking over a shallow area such as a submerged rock shelf, reef or sand bank"

Glad your OK.

Cheers,

Cam

Got it. Thanx cam.

In this case, Long Reef is definitely a place where bommies everywhere as u can see the rock platform extend so far away from the coast and u will see them in low tide obviously and totally disappear in high tides.

Again learn something from this forum.

Cheers, Phil

Cheers Phil

Bommie, outa reef, seperated from land, breaks at low tide, If you grew up around a beach or surfed youd know what it means.

Bonnie, short for bonito a fish,

Bonny, any scotsman would know this, means beautiful.

antr, was it green or white water that put you up on the rocks, just seems to be more to the story?

Edited by finin

Hi Dazzlar,

Cheers Phil

Mate theres some good answers there that should clear up what your asking, always take care on the water, no fish is worth ones life & one very important safety investment is an auto inflateable life jacket i dont go on the water without it now owened it for a year now. Im pretty sure you need one if boating by yourself its legastration on NSW waters now. You dont want to be KOd in that situation thats how people drown, it will inflate by itself when you hit the water. Mate anymore questions I can help with dont hesatate to ask i will gladley try & help out. I still remember that day of ours like it was yesterday, we were able to point the boat towards the wave & give it some before it broke unlike Antres unlucky wave. Always keep an eye on the sea.

Cheers Brother

Edited by Fezza
removed non sponsor plugging.

Hey Anthony,

Sorry to hear about your ordeal but as everyone else has said, you are lucky that you weren't seriously injured or worse. A good reminder to have the utmost respect for the sea but more importantly, know where the reefs/bommies are because they are what get boaters undone. All the best mate

cheers

Peter

Was up at longy yesterday and could see you toy on the rocks down there. Sorry to hear about it.

Ive surfed off the headland there for the last 15 years and also fished it for the last 4 or 5 and its not a place to be taken lightly especially when there is a heap of swell and depending on the swell direction it can change were the bomie and the point peaks and breaks by 50m or more so its definietly one not to drop your guard at. Main thing is your ok! dollars come and go always but lives don't.