OMFG! Can it get any worst than this ?

dhype

Mate that sucks lucky you didn't take anyone out.

As a someone who doesn't own a boat i'm curious as to why you wouldn't have it strapped to the trailer? Surely it's common sense to tie it down rather than relying on that single point of contact, or am I way off track on this?

Ben

Boat was strapped down but strap failed

daaaaaaaaaamn.jpg

Sorry to see this happen to ya dhype...I think I saw you yesterday morning on my way down to Gymea Bay...

Were you turning off of King Geroges Rd onto the M5 between about 6:30ish to 7:30ish??? and was the towing vehicle a Mazda???

BTW, hope there's little cost for repairs for ya...

Cheers,

Al

Edited by Big_Al

I had a mate in Townsville who had his poly 455 Centre Console come off at about 110kph (his fault not the winches though) some gouging to the hull but still perfectly usable as it was and some skeg damage to the motor, awesome boats!!

You have a great sense of humour to take pics at a time of stress.

If you need to get out and about on the Bay this weekend and your trailer and boat are out of action, please come for a fish in my tinny as I really would like someone to show me how to catch a Kingfish. I'm a newbie to salt water fishing and I really need some locals to show me the ropes.

Glad no one was hurt.

Take care!

Hey Trung,

Very lucky you got off lightly.

No serious damage, no injury and just some lost pride.

The trailer and securing the boat to the trailer probably gets the least attention by fishos.

Myself included when I was younger but after a lot of towing, problems and near misses, I decided to do some reasearch.

There is a group of people in QLD who put out a great magazine, almost monthly, to which I subscribe.

They often have interesting articles about how to do things, inventions and other people's experiences with boats and ALL accessories.

There is a magazine they have out (see URL below) which would undoubtedly have a lot of info you could use to show you the pitfalls us trailerboaters can fall into.

I am not making any money from this at all, just trying to help a friend avoid injury and damage.

I just can't help you keep the donut man away....You'll have to do that yourself, but you WILL need a boat, a heap of new squid jigs AND a new expensive sounder....

Oh hang on, you just bought all that, so maybe a new dress and a pair of earrings will do the job...

Well you HAVE everything else don't you ?

You even have matching green downrigger balls !

Matching green balls...LOL !

Just have a look at the magazine - you don't want any more boat droppings...

http://www.boatmags.com.au/publications/index.php?id=10

Hi all -

Quick update: I hit the boat with the plastic welder, some plastic offcuts and sandpaper.. hull is as good as new again! Gotta love the Polycraft :biggrin2:

The motor? On closer inspection the skeg looks ever so slightly bent so i will have to straighten it with a plank of wood or something.. any ideas people?

Going to see Gary at Strickly Stainless and have him weld back the winch post + new safety chain .. apart from that the boat is all good and hopefully be back in the water by the weekend!

Now, to the import bits... the fishing! ALL the squid in Botany at the moment are massive... there is a few there but I had visit 5 or 6 kelp beds to pull them out.

I was downrigging large 25cm+ hooded squids and the kings were still hitting them! No rats as the squids were too damn big !!

I dropped a king that would have been 1m+ right next to the boat but i did manage to land the 92cm which could not even pull drag on the saltiga z30/Smith AMJ combo !! Must have been a Homer fish :biggrin2:

The new furuno sounder shows the most amazing results.. i run it alongside my HDS5 + Structure scan and the results are like night and day!

Cant wait to get back on the water!

Cheers

Trung "aka landbased polycraft"

just a heads up raiders the welding on this unit was some off the worst i have seen all good now and the price for the work well a friend in need is a friend with a good supply of squid indeed :biggrin2:

cheers gary

just a heads up raiders the welding on this unit was some off the worst i have seen all good now and the price for the work well a friend in need is a friend with a good supply of squid indeed :biggrin2:

cheers gary

Good on you Gary, :thumbup:

I hope you put them squid to good use.

cheers

cheers gary

Massive thanks to Gary for his quick respone for help and expert welding skills! Champion :thumbup:

The trailer is now BETTER than new with soild welds on the winch pole/plate instead of the sh1tty spot weld from the trailer manufacturer. (wonder how well everyone else's trailers are welded?). Gary welded some chain onto the winch pole itself for that extra piece of mind. :thumbup:

A fresh stash of Botany Bay squid is just a call away buddy.. and may the jewfish gods be on your side!

Thanks again!

Trung

Edited by dhype