Bonnie Plague in the Bay 27/7 - now with video

quintrex480

Hi raiders, Formosan and I decided to give the hairy's a miss this time and hit our home turf for a possibility of a winter king or 2 :biggrin2: Started the day as usual flicking around some squid jigs to get some kingy candy, after an hour or so we had the tank full of ink, 2 nice size ones and 4 monsters. Also put our new daiwa emeraldas jigs to the test and they didn't disappoint!!! We didn't "GUN" it out to the kingie grounds this time, but instead decided to troll the x-raps first, and we get hit straight away. For the next 2ish hours, we forgot all about the kings as we were having a ball with the bonnies, they were absolutely EVERYWHERE!! Glad I spent the night before installing my new HDS 5 Gen 2 sounder, it showed great detail and as the pic shows, fish everywhere!!! Once we hit our bag of bonnies, we decided to do what we set out to do, this time we "GUNN'ed" it to the kingie spot, but after countless passes, not a touch. Headed back to the heads to see if we can have some fun with the bonnies again, but this time with the light gear, and they were still there, spent another hour just spinning the x-raps for countless bonnies which were all put back in the drink. No kings but the bonnies made up for it. We also put our new go pro hero2's to the test and the video quality these things produce is pretty awesome, Formosan's busy editing so he'll post it in a couple of days.

post-16665-016662900 1343565449_thumb.jpg

post-16665-009757900 1343565470_thumb.jpg

post-16665-038014800 1343565487_thumb.jpg

post-16665-043416300 1343565522_thumb.jpg

post-16665-005385100 1343565648_thumb.jpg

Edited by quintrex480

Hi raiders, Formosan and I decided to give the hairy's a miss this time and hit our home turf for a possibility of a winter king or 2 :biggrin2:

Started the day as usual flicking around some squid jigs to get some kingy candy, after an hour or so we had the tank full of ink, 2 nice size ones and 4 monsters. Also put our new daiwa emeraldas jigs to the test and they didn't disappoint!!!

We didn't "GUN" it out to the kingie grounds this time, but instead decided to troll the x-raps first, and we get hit straight away. For the next 2ish hours, we forgot all about the kings as we were having a ball with the bonnies, they were absolutely EVERYWHERE!!

Glad I spent the night before installing my new HDS 5 Gen 2 sounder, it showed great detail and as the pic shows, fish everywhere!!!

Once we hit our bag of bonnies, we decided to do what we set out to do, this time we "GUNN'ed" it to the kingie spot, but after countless passes, not a touch. Headed back to the heads to see if we can have some fun with the bonnies again, but this time with the light gear, and they were still there, spent another hour just spinning the x-raps for countless bonnies which were all put back in the drink. No kings but the bonnies made up for it.

We also put our new go pro hero2's to the test and the video quality these things produce is pretty awesome, Formosan's busy editing so he'll post it in a couple of days.

Hi what are you showing on sounder, the bonnies or squid grounds.

Hey buddy,

Good to hear you managed to get out. I managed to get on the bay on Wednesday. Only managed one salmon. Those Bonnie's and squid look great. Top effort as usual. I can't wait for summer to come back and chase them kings :)

Cheers Daniel

Thanks all for the positive feedback. I forgot to mention that they were just off the heads on the south side.

Top haul their champ! Those squid look so yum, do you eat the bonnies? and if you do, how do you cook them?

Yes the squid always go down well with the Mrs and kids, and as for the bonnies, what Groper said. But my mum cooks them an asian style, not too sure the exact description but I think she caramelises them. Very nice!

I personally think they are gun bream bait as well, so kept a few fillets for them.

crazy haul there

gee you guys braved the wind.

but then if i could on my hobie, i would too :)

hey buddy, wind wasn't too bad, but yeah might be a bit too rough on the hobie, you still getting them jews on blades?

great report and pics as usual guys can't wait to see the video :beersmile::yahoo:

thanks mate, from the first cut I've seen, it looks pretty good :biggrin2:

Hi what are you showing on sounder, the bonnies or squid grounds.

don't we all wish it was squid! hehehe nah, that's bonnies. if I can ever get a sounder pic of squid, you guys will be the first to see it.

Hey buddy,

Good to hear you managed to get out. I managed to get on the bay on Wednesday. Only managed one salmon. Those Bonnie's and squid look great. Top effort as usual. I can't wait for summer to come back and chase them kings :)

Cheers Daniel

hey buddy! yeah I think we all are waiting for summer to arrive! hopefully we can get onto a a hoodie or 2 :biggrin2:

nice catch, im very suprised to see there are still plenty of bonnies around this winter. They all look like the same size we have been catching all through summer and autumn.

Nice squid too, i see you are still pulling in some big ones.

cheers

Dangas

Nice Vid guys. :thumbup:

Re the gopro, have you used it off the water? how does it compare to a normal video? Id like to get one But I'd need to justify it to the mrs that it could film the kids as well. otherwise... :ranting2::ranting2::ranting2:

Cheers Luke

nice catch, im very suprised to see there are still plenty of bonnies around this winter. They all look like the same size we have been catching all through summer and autumn.

Nice squid too, i see you are still pulling in some big ones.

cheers

Dangas

thanks buddy! yeah they were everywhere! everywhere we casted, we'd hook up. those squid made for some great salt and pepper squid. :biggrin2:

Nice Vid guys. :thumbup:

Re the gopro, have you used it off the water? how does it compare to a normal video? Id like to get one But I'd need to justify it to the mrs that it could film the kids as well. otherwise... :ranting2::ranting2::ranting2:

Cheers Luke

heya Luke! awesome off the water as it is on the water. I've recently used it for my boy's 4th birthday party, and the full hd video it does is quite awesome!

Edited by quintrex480

That's a great session.

One of those squid looks huge, what did the hood measure.

Not too sure, but it was bigger than any of the bonnies hehehe, if I had to guess, i'd say about 40cm'ish

Bonnies go great in a thai green curry when you get sick of eating them sashimi !

thanks mate, will definitely need to give that a go!

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: Love ur work. must of been fun.

hey buddy, yes it was fun, but you should have seen Formosan. I had to practically take the rod out of his hands so we can go for kings :biggrin2: