JEWWED inside south head

reubs

Hey guys,

My Jew drought is over! or maybe it has just begun (lets hope not). I was out fishing friday afternoon with fellow raider husk17 trying out a few spots around south head.... I was on the early shift that day (7-3) and husk17 had a "doctors appointment" around 3pm :secret: so unfortunately he had to start early that day aswel :sun: . We left my office around 4:30pm geared up and ready to go with not much of an idea of exactly how we were going to get where we were going.. Got to a spot as husk17 was keen to find a blackfish had a bit of a play but I was keen for a kingfish...we flicked around a couple of squid jigs and managed to raise 2 small cuttles and a small squid from the depths. As the night was upon us we found ourselves on the beach, i had my mojiko 7ft 6-8kg rod with 6500 reel 15lb braid with 40lb fluoro leader and a 4/0 and 5/0 gamakatsu ready to go, popped on the squid whole and lobbed it out unweighted..

Meanwhile husk17 says he wants to try and catch some whiting so out goes some servo prawn on a 2-4kg jarvis walker 6"6' spin stick with a bodgy okuma 500 series reel 6lb braid and a pretied whiting rig...

I rested my combo on a stool and was messing about setting up another rig when husk says hes on and its got some weight....I look over and my rod starts to go off aswel....so as i jumped for the net i scurried back down to the beach and grabbed my rod and felt some good weight so I dialed up my drag and skull dragged it in hoping that it was maybe a small king with some decent head shakes....much to my surprise when it got closer it was a jew! so up on the beach it came and i threw it up onto the dry stuff and then ran out in waist deep water so we wouldnt lose the fish that husk17 was onto.. I was sure he was going to get spooled on that magic combo but it did the damage and came up trumps as the second jew for the evening made its way into the net... the whiting hook was soon out and rebaited and back in the water but after that it was quiet.... cleaned up the fish and headed home around 9 which is the earliest I have ever left a fishing session but we werent going home empty handed tonight (unlike the last 5 outings)... landing 2 jews was pretty amazing though and we are both still stoked about it and keen to get out again... maybe next time I'll nail that king that i was hoping for...still massively impressed by the "by-catch" though haha :1taz:

post-22940-0-73401100-1360723776_thumb.jpg

post-22940-0-51081400-1360723792_thumb.jpg

post-22940-0-64470000-1360723818_thumb.jpg

Yep one Jew on a whole jellybean sized squid...Jew sized jellybean that is....and the other on a servo prawn indeed....umm the second photo of them is on a 26L esky...didn't actually measure them but I'd say 60+ :)....the not so funny part is the bigger one jumped on the servo prawn....I think we just got lucky and were in the right place at the right time.. When I was at the same spot back in April/may last year I pulled a salmon from the same beach :) but I've also spent a few completely fishless days at the same spot so I guess it has it's moments like everywhere else..