Big jewie at the trailer boat tournament

jordan.widz

RAIDERS! How are we,

Just got back from the annual Port Stephens Trailer Boat Tournament and once again we had some beautiful weather and some great fish were caught by many anglers, 21kg kingie, 26kg jewie, 10kg snapper just to name a few.

On Friday we went over to cabbage tree to fill up with livies and head up to Broughton to target snapper and kings but had no luck, only found undersized pinkies and a feed of flatties, there was plenty of bait schools around that looked promising and kept us interested but it didn't pay off so we headed back in.

Saturday the plan was to chase some jewies on the high tide in the morning so we gathered up our yakkas and squid and set about it putting in the hours. We didn't get any jewies but managed 5 gummys and kept 3 for a feed which cooked up really nice, pitty theres no spot in the tournament for them. We also managed some 'shark sharks' as we call them :risata: because these things got teeth! Anyone wanna comfirm what species they are we have been calling them for baby bronzies.

post-14559-0-61065100-1364209652_thumb.jpg

post-14559-0-05680600-1364209665_thumb.jpg

Still with nothing on the board we headed back in for the Saturday BBQ and to prepare for that night, this was our only chance if we didn't get one tonight we were out of luck. So we filled up the live bait tank with yakkas and squid again and anchored up and waited for the high tide. The night went on and my dad and Tony kept us entertained with the dead baits catching sharks, shovels and rays, while I waited paitently with my live yakka on the baitrunner I won two years ago at this tournament for 1st place jew.

So now the high tide is here and just how it should be the baitrunner starts screaming of and the heart starts pumping faster, I walk up to the reel, strike and there it is zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz big powerful runs and solid head shakes, this is the one we've been waiting for!! :yahoo: we get it to the surface and in the boat and I am finally relieved. The official wieght was 16.496kg and 122cm on the bragmat, good enough for second place! We kept fishing hoping for maybe a third place aswell but it didn't happen.

post-14559-0-26430100-1364209644_thumb.jpg

post-14559-0-25534800-1364209706_thumb.jpg

post-14559-0-70657600-1364209678_thumb.jpg

We also went out Sunday and Sunday night but nothing much else happened apart from a few more flatties and sharks, well thats it for now and its pretty safe to say I am wrapped with the jewie and the effort put in by Team Prawn Star. Hope to see some more raiders up there next year and to the blokes that were there let us know how you went.

Cheers,

Prawn Star :fishing1:

Congrats prawn star!!! It was a great weekend and even better to see a raider get on the board. There were a few of us up here but I think you were the only one to finish a place. Trust me not through a lack of trying!!! The senior champ overall is the best fisho up here and was well deserved. I've already hatched my plan for next year and can't wait!

Once again congrats! Great fish, you deserved it!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Top jewie prawn star! That's the one that I was after!

It was my first time in the comp and fishing port Stephens, so wasn't expecting too much, we only managed a few bream, flatties, whiting and one soapie. A little disappointing but still a great weekend. Beautiful weather and dolphins everywhere.

A big thank you to Scratchie for showing us around to few spots, the few fish that we did catch wouldn't have been possible without your help.

Now I have 12months to research and prepare for next year.

Cheers,

Baz.

Good stuff mate, I was also up there entering for the first time in Team FWS, the green tinny. Didnt know the area too well so don't get much either unfortunately. Hopefully learn a spot or two before next years tourney. Was a good weekend overall

It's great to see everyone enjoyed it. We have been doing it since 2006 and didn't have much luck in the early years either and only fish the area once a year but the research and planning deffinetly pays off. Can't wait for next year and let's hope to see a raiders white wash on the board!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi mate nice Jewie, the second shark picture looks like a juvenile Mako, quite think set and a little short for a Bronzie? no t really sure though.

Cheers mate, yeh could quite well be a mako, one was jumping all over the place

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk