Darn Jewfish wouldn't let me sleep =) - 25/04/13

quintrex480

Hi Raiders, well decided on a change of scenery to target the elusive mulloway on Thursday morning, but firstly a big thanks to the KFC (you guys know who you are and special thanks to Al and Paul for all the tips and advice).

So loaded up on yakkas at good old trusty molli point was the first point of call at around mid-night, wind was blowing from South to West and everything in between, made it hard to hold the spot I wanted and made getting yakkas really hard, but once the wind stopped, yakkas were filling up the tank quite quickly. Threw in some pillies to try for tailor and managed a few as well.

Then it was up river, got to our spot and dropped anchor and sent live yakkas, yakka fillets and live tailor down. The live yakka get's hit straight away and my mate being a total newbie, fights it like he's fighting a king. Drag cranked up and pulling on it so hard that the line could have snapped even if it was 50lb :D, and no second guessing what happens next, he pulls the hook right out!

Anyways a good 30 mins goes by and my baitrunner starts singing, let it run for a little bit, engaged and it takes some line, comes in at 65cm, pretty happy about that. Then all goes quiet for a good hour, so decided to get some shut eye. As soon as I start drifting off, the all so familiar sound goes off again, I look up but I see the rods just fine, so I must have just been dreaming :D , but then I hear it again and I remembered that I put a rod out front, and the rod is bent almost over board and it's taking drag, run up and pull it in to 78cm, high five my mate and we're up so we start getting into it again. but again, all goes quiet, and again we decide to try and get some sleep.

And wouldn't you know it, as soon as I start drifting off, the baitrunner goes off again, this was starting to get annoying!!! :D get up and pull it in to 68cm. Got a couple of other runs but missed the hook up. By now, the sun was up and the boats were roaring pass heading to the bay, so it was a good time to pack up and leave. We did try to go for some kings, but with the lack of sleep I felt F!@#!RKED and felt sick as soon as we hit the heads, so made the call to just go home.

So here's my tip, put a rod out and go to sleep LOL.

Anyways here are some pics.

post-16665-0-20123200-1366954460_thumb.jpg

post-16665-0-30440600-1366954473_thumb.jpg

Edited by quintrex480

Was wondering when you are going to post this. Congrats on getting into them on your first serious attempt.

Heard they fight like crap but delicious. :)

How do you hold up 3 fish with 2 hands? Was there someone behind you lending a hand?

Years ago, I caught some of the schoolies on 3 pound line (when there were plenty about), and they don't fight like crap on such light line!.

Nice report and certainly I missed out due to been too tired from work and other commitments. Hopefully I have time do a night sesh next week and start getting some of these beautiful jews you got.

nice work Zarn

Would have thought there would be closer places to catch yakkas

thanks Tan, there probably is, but launching from Foreshore and knowing that I can definitely get yakkas from molli point made it the logical choice =)

Was wondering when you are going to post this. Congrats on getting into them on your first serious attempt.

How do you hold up 3 fish with 2 hands? Was there someone behind you lending a hand?

thanks bud, yeah can't remember the last time I actually went for jews. Fight like crap on 30lb line they do, but the biggest one was caught on my lighter gear which made it a little bit more enjoyable and yes they are delicious!!

2 hands but 10 fingers buddy.

Couple of nice jewies.

thanks mate

Years ago, I caught some of the schoolies on 3 pound line (when there were plenty about), and they don't fight like crap on such light line!.

sheesh, I can't even contemplate even a schoolie on 3lb.

Nice report and certainly I missed out due to been too tired from work and other commitments. Hopefully I have time do a night sesh next week and start getting some of these beautiful jews you got.

shame about that Gavs, don't worry buddy I am sure you'll be onto them very soon.

Well done Zarn,

Now you need one off your yak. :)

We're hoping for a change of scenery too.

there are a lot of other fish that I need to land from the yak! =)

that change of scenery is coming very very soon!!! =)

Edited by quintrex480

3 Jews is a fantastic haul... well done!

I have never had any success on the Jews with yakkas and tailor ( preferring squid) ... You pinning the lives through the nose and how far down are you sending them?

I guess ill be see you and the jewie spots from now on!

See ya buddy!

Good work Zarn. You need to join us a bit more on the yak.

Just remember to bring a net or gaff

1 jewwie last night sunk a hook in my leg and kept jumping around. The consequences of grilling the fish.

3 Jews is a fantastic haul... well done!

I have never had any success on the Jews with yakkas and tailor ( preferring squid) ... You pinning the lives through the nose and how far down are you sending them?

I guess ill be see you and the jewie spots from now on!

See ya buddy!

thanks mate! I call it a fluke, possibly right place and right time. Alike going for kings with squid, everything else loves squid as well. Put down yakkas and tailor and usually the only thing that would take it is something a lot bigger. Piin them lightly on the back just behind dorsal fin, and down about 8 metres.

and no, I haven't given up on kingies =) was out today and due to some frayed braid, cost me a possibility of a big hoodie, don't think I'll be sleeping too well tonight =(

Great report and nice jewies mate! You do look a bit tired in that picture B)

thanks buddy! yeah I was bugged as! guess that's the price you pay when u go for jewies.

Who needs sleep when you can hear that reel scream. Nice job mate.

Wheat out on Monday ended with 5 nothing special back out again on Monday. I might take a pillow and try your new fishing style Ill c you out there mate

ahahah thanks Luke, nah no pillows allowed, I used a life jacket!

great work on the jews :) I like the technique lol

thanks bud!

Edited by quintrex480

Good work Zarn. You need to join us a bit more on the yak.

Just remember to bring a net or gaff

1 jewwie last night sunk a hook in my leg and kept jumping around. The consequences of grilling the fish.

Al Al Al, yes definitely will try to get out on the yak, I just need to get some warmer clothes first =).

too bad about today huh? wished you could have gotten that big one! oh wells, always next time buddy!

Al Al Al, yes definitely will try to get out on the yak, I just need to get some warmer clothes first =).

too bad about today huh? wished you could have gotten that big one! oh wells, always next time buddy!

Sharkskin Sharkskin Sharkskin Remember 50% off... get them before they are gone!!!