First Ever Snapper Report - smashed my PB =)

quintrex480

Hi Raiders, you've probably seen a few snapper reports lately, and my one doesn't compare to some of these guys, but I'd just like to share what was my first snapper trip. You might recall Formosan reporting from a couple of weeks back on how well he did, and that got me all fired up. So we took 2 boats down last Saturday, and hopefully we could get the same result.

During the week, I think I became Berkley's favorite customer, I stockpiled a sh!tload of plastics and jig heads, 5inch jerk shads, squid vicious, 7inch jerk shads, Nemesis range, all of them in different colours. 1/2oz, 3/4oz, 5/8oz, 1oz, 1.5oz. Man and I thought the amount of squid jigs I have hoarded over time was a little crazy!! :D

Never targeted snapper before so not sure what to expect, but I was excited, gunned it out of the ramp towards some of the marks I have jotted down, and then to the next mark and so on, and all we could manage were mowies, bakers, reef fish, parrots, BLAH BLAH BLAH :D , where the hell were these snappers all these guys have been landing?!?!?!?! Then I get the call from Formosan relaying some intel from Mike and DTROJAN, packed it up and GUNNED it over to where they were which was about 15clicks south of our position.

But still nothing after a few drifts, the dredded thought of DONUT started creeping into my head, DOH!!! Then I just decided to go looking for them a little further south, I see some good marks on the sounder and I say to my mate, I think I have found them (I was just kidding!) but first drift, with bump, bump bump, then bang, I am on. Forgot to loosen the drag, and I nearly crap my pants as my rod tip goes in the water, quickly loosen it and the fight begins, not long after, a nice 65cm red appears and netted WOOHOOO! smashed my PB by 30CM!!!

Re-do the drift and we get onto a couple more decent reds (47cm and 50cm). Then the current and wind started roaring, even with the sea anchor out, we were drifting so dam fast it wasn't funny, see the pic of my drift lines, we almost painted the whole screen yellow with them LOL.

Well that was my first snapper trip, it was a tough day but ended up ok, owe the guys mentioned above for sharing the intel, without them, it would have definitely been a DONUT! hopefully one day I can return the favour.

thanks for reading.

post-16665-0-27476900-1375163972_thumb.jpg

post-16665-0-57589800-1375164084_thumb.png

post-16665-0-28917700-1375164095_thumb.jpg

post-16665-0-49819900-1375164105_thumb.jpg

Edited by quintrex480

Hey mate,

Congrats on the PB. Thanks for the mention in the post. All I did was put you in the right area..... You did well to get the fish, especially on your first attempt. Just goes to show that a good fisho can catch anything if he puts his mind to it.

Don't worry, you'll get your chance to return the favour. Next time we're both down there if you find the fish first, I expect a phone call.

Pete

Edited by DTROJAN

You tinny bastard. I spent all day Friday trying to find em and only managed a couple of pannies and a gummy. I was fishing with a gimp though (and no I'm not referring to moir Pete)

Look at your drifts - looks like you've gone nuts with an 'etcha sketch'.

Johno

LOL I think we have all been burkleys favourite customers lately!

Good work mate, 65cm is an awesome PB especially for first time targeting snapper! Like pete said, he put you on the area and you fished it well, your persistance during the day paid off!

Catch up on the water soon.

Gongrats Boys, once bitten by the bug there's no turning back, now for a bigger model

thanks Groper, yes the bug has bitten and I can't wait for the next trip! :D

Woooohh some nice snap snap there, good to hear the search payed off

yeah it was a lot of searching, but did pay off eventually.

Great effort mate ! I'm still learning the art of snapper on plastics !!

thanks buddy, but I think I have to really concentrate on the bait as well, from what you have shown us.

Hey mate,

Congrats on the PB. Thanks for the mention in the post. All I did was put you in the right area..... You did well to get the fish, especially on your first attempt. Just goes to show that a good fisho can catch anything if he puts his mind to it.

Don't worry, you'll get your chance to return the favour. Next time we're both down there if you find the fish first, I expect a phone call.

Pete

mate! I can't wait to return the favour.

Looks like the berkleys paid off!!! Nice work on the reds fellas.

Cheers scratchie!!!

thanks Scratchie

Well done champ!. Nice reds there , Hopefully the season gets better and as Dtrojan said it is is good to keep in touch when out on the water not just for intel on fish but for safety reasons. :).

too right buddy!

Great result! Which plasric and colour produced the most fish?

not sure if it's coincidence but again the nemesis in nuclear chicken =)

You tinny bastard. I spent all day Friday trying to find em and only managed a couple of pannies and a gummy. I was fishing with a gimp though (and no I'm not referring to moir Pete)

Look at your drifts - looks like you've gone nuts with an 'etcha sketch'.

Johno

Johno mate, your problem was that you didn't have Pete and Mike searching as well ehehe and most guys would call a couple of pannies and a gummy a good day out.

hahaha checked out my kids etcha sketch tonight and it did look quite similar :D

Great report Quinney, that must have been an awesome feeling to bring that first big fella on board after all the preparation and anticipation.

The big snapper is definitely on my bucket list.

Cheers Larry

Hey Zarn, great work buddy. Good to see you smashed your PB :).

Conditions where great on Saturday.

I was talking with the guy from the bait shop and he was telli g me that some block caught an 11 kg snapper near the foreshore boat ramp last week while going for jewies.

What are your thoughts? Fact or fiction??

Cheers Daniel

LOL I think we have all been burkleys favourite customers lately!

Good work mate, 65cm is an awesome PB especially for first time targeting snapper! Like pete said, he put you on the area and you fished it well, your persistance during the day paid off!

Catch up on the water soon.

Yeah I think I cleaned up on the plastics at most tackle stores Lol. Yeah, see u guys on the water soon.

Great report Quinney, that must have been an awesome feeling to bring that first big fella on board after all the preparation and anticipation.

The big snapper is definitely on my bucket list.

Cheers Larry

Thanks Larry, yeah going for snappers is top fun, shame about having to go so far to do it.

Hey Zarn, great work buddy. Good to see you smashed your PB :).

Conditions where great on Saturday.

I was talking with the guy from the bait shop and he was telli g me that some block caught an 11 kg snapper near the foreshore boat ramp last week while going for jewies.

What are your thoughts? Fact or fiction??

Cheers Daniel

Hey Dan, thanks mate. 11kg red in the bay? Hmm... Think a little far fetched maybe? But then again, who knows. I did land that 20kg king at the third runway the other week *wink* *wink* lol

awesome job Zarn

If you ever need a helping hand to catch these fish, I'll put my hand up haha

Thanks buddy, that line of guys willing to lend a hand is getting quite long now Lol. Will definitely keep you in mind if I need a hand. Edited by quintrex480