Lazy Sunday around Kurnell and Wanda

RichieR

Even though all the odds were against me today (see pic below) I wanted to wet a line.

I packed the car and took some old frozen pillies and prawns with me planning to use them as burley.

After a 30min drive I arrived at the bait shop on the princes highway and realised I had left my wallet at home! no fresh bait for me.

Next hurdle, I got to captain cooks landing place national park and had to pay $7 parking. Had to call home and get someone to read out my credit card details so I could park!

Finally got down onto the rocks at kurnell and not much was happening. Flicked some plastics around that are shaped like a little red/green crab (Gulp! Crabbys) kept getting the legs and claws biten off them but couldnt hook up to what was doing it. At about 4:15 the sun was gone behind the rocks and I wanted to be on the beach for the 5:58 high tide, so I packed up and headed for Wanda beach near the surf club. Fished from 4:50 - 10:00pm and managed a small tailor right around high tide and a few small sand crabs that kept demolishing my pilchards!

Nothing amazing to report but was nice to be near the water on such a nice day.

One thing I want to recommend to everyone is to get some of that bait wrap / string stuff.

It comes as a little spindle and it is magic at keeping mushy pillies whole and on the hook!

post-10163-0-28799500-1376835271_thumb.png

post-10163-0-47265800-1376835354_thumb.jpg

The wife and I had a walk around the Kurnell/Boat Harbour area for a bit of exercise on Sunday, and I saw quite a few fishos along the rocks. Some were fishing off the top of the cliffs, a long way to haul up any fish, and a long way to fall.

Down near the shoreline, I saw a couple of fishos pulling out some blackfish, one that was just hauled out was near 40cm long. About a dozen in the keeper net, all fat fish caught on cabbage.

The app is called 'Fishing Calender' I think i paid $2.95 for it. It is amazing. Here are some more screen shots of it, including some of the instructions / notes.

I think the 'my catches' section would be really useful for Jewie fishos!

post-10163-0-80305200-1376871814_thumb.png

post-10163-0-48588600-1376871840_thumb.png

post-10163-0-77865500-1376871857_thumb.png

post-10163-0-67448200-1376871874_thumb.png

post-10163-0-59004300-1376871895_thumb.png

post-10163-0-31560900-1376871909_thumb.png

I use the same app and love it. You will still catch fish on low efficiency days but you're almost guaranteed to do better on the good days - all based on solunar which has been proven for many years. Find a day with 100% efficiency and a high tide at sunset / sunrise and you're in for a cracker session!

I use the same app and love it. You will still catch fish on low efficiency days but you're almost guaranteed to do better on the good days - all based on solunar which has been proven for many years. Find a day with 100% efficiency and a high tide at sunset / sunrise and you're in for a cracker session!

I just bought this app and love it!!! Layout really easy to use!

What a shame it's still blowing 35km+ the efficiency for today is 100%.

Cheers scratchie!!!

P.s it's $5.49 now

Edited by Scratchie

P.s it's $5.49 now

You bought the full version. It allows you to upload catches and stuff. The Lite version is only $1.99 or so and gives you all the same info but can't upload catches

I agree with The Butch and putting those crabs straight on the hook. The biggest bream I have ever caught, funnily enough off Wanda beach, had a gut full of them. It was massive, 50cm+! Sorry no photos as it was some time ago pre digital cameras.

How exactly would you put a crab that big on a hook small enough for a bream ?

The photo doesn't really show it but the crabs body was about 7 - 8cm from eyes to tail.

I did a bit of reading and found advice to break off the back legs and feed the hook in one side and out the other.

RichieR, the bigger ones I cut into smaller pieces and make sure the barb comes out one of the leg holes. Smaller ones can go on whole, put the hook up underneath and out through the top. The shell is pretty thin and it's pretty easy to push it through. I use 2/0 or 3/0 bait keeper hooks and the work fine.

Hey guys, that app looks great. Do you get local ( or at least regional) tidal info with regards to times etc?

You can set it to any location around the world or have it set to GPS so it uses your phone's GPS to tell you local info... mind you the GPS on samsung galaxies drain the battery real quick so I just set it to 'Sydney' and it's pretty close - never exact

so it is local info.

Edited by Linc

• 4 months later...

I was watching some fishing vids on Youtube the other night when I came across one by a freshwater fishing guide in the states. (Ken Sturdivant, he had a TV show called "Have Fun Fishing"). Anyway, he touched on the Solunar charts and he believes, at least in his neck of the woods, they're not as good as people make out. He qualified that statement by saying that he kept a diary for a year on all of his fishing activities, including sunrise and set, moonrise and set, time of day, fish caught, etc, etc. After a year, he got hold of the solunar charts for his area and found that they were way out compared to his diary.

However, he did find an interesting correlation. He said that his most successful sessions were when a sunrise or sunset occurred within 90 minutes of a moonrise, moon set. He was even more successful when these events happened at new and full moons. He also factored in the weather, pretty much the same as how we factor the weather.

I'm going to try out his findings. He had nothing to gain by telling the viewers this. As a matter of fact, he had a bit to lose, like his professional credibility. It certainly costs nothing to try out. This Sunday through to Wednesday in the mornings we have a sunrise occurring with 90 minutes of a rising moon. A high tide shortly thereafter, and good weather.