Middle Harbour tailors

svsolaris

Hi Raiders,

I've been targeting tailor near The Spit last week and a half. That's where I caught my first fish (a tailor purely by chance) exactly a year ago. Looks like I've improved a bit though and am totally stoked!

3 sessions, all the same routine: Leave at 10pm, take the sailboat's tender (bought an el cheapo Parsuns 2HP at the boat show) and find a good spot or 2 until 1am. Next day at work, yawn like a zombie and grin like a fool. Colleagues must think I'm getting laid or something.

All were caught on 6 pound line with unweighted frozen peeled supermarket prawns cut in half, threaded around a hook to match and then trimmed. Throw and pay out so the bait slowly sinks and follows the current naturally, always holding about 1m of slack in the left hand very loosely.

With only ambient light the trick is to feel and let the slack run with no resistance then set just as the line goes taut. I use slightly large hooks because I find re-baiting is quicker than unhooking little ones. Prawn trimmings go in the water for berley.

One pic per session (sizes 30 to 42 cm, and yes I eat the pikes too!):

post-25611-0-98053100-1379335087_thumb.jpg

post-25611-0-77803300-1379335108_thumb.jpg

post-25611-0-57757800-1379335136_thumb.jpg

Haha do you mean there is parasite contamination risk even with food-grade prawns? Brrr...

yes it's rather disturbing isn't it. Apparently it has no effect on humans though.

Diseased Imported Prawns: Anglers Urged To Be Alert Category: Fishing News Published on Monday, 26 June 2006 19:00 Written by Admin

News release: 27 June, 2006

Recreational fishers are being warned against using imported green (uncooked) prawns as bait or berley as they may be putting the State's prawn stocks at risk of a disease outbreak.

Department of Primary Industries and Fisheries Animal Biosecurity manager Ron Glanville said an education campaign launched today alerts recreational anglers, as well as bait suppliers and distributors, to the consequences that using imported green (uncooked) prawns could have on Queensland's prawn fishing industry.

"Imported green (uncooked) prawns from many Asian countries can carry exotic viruses such as White Spot Syndrome Virus (WSSV), Taura Syndrome Virus (TSV) or Yellowhead Virus (YHV)," Mr Glanville said.

"Although not dangerous to humans, these viruses could have devastating consequences for both the Australian prawn fishing and farming sectors.

"There has been a recent influx of imported prawns and while there are some controls on imported green (uncooked) prawns for human consumption, there is still a risk that they could be carrying exotic diseases. While these diseases are totally harmless to humans, they could be very harmful to our wild prawns.

"Introduced fish and shellfish diseases can have long-term effects on aquaculture industries, commercial fishers and aquatic ecosystems.

"It is therefore vitally important that anglers do not buy imported green (uncooked) prawns, which were only intended for human consumption, from the supermarket or fish shop and then use them for bait."

Mr Glanville said it is critical that anglers take the following steps to help keep Australian fisheries safe:

Only use Australian prawns or locally caught species for bait.

Never use imported green (uncooked) prawns as bait or heads and tails as berley.

Don't turf in the surf- always dispose of prawns carefully and never throw green (uncooked) prawn waste into waterways. Green (uncooked) prawn waste should not be disposed of into waterways, just in case it is carrying a disease.

"Biosecurity Australia is responsible for control measures for imported prawns and DPI&F will continue to support them in improving policies and processes for importation of green (uncooked) prawns to help protect Queensland's prawn stocks from disease," Mr Glanville said.

"However, anglers are asked to contact the DPI&F on 13 25 23 if they think that imported green (uncooked) prawns are being sold for bait.

"If anglers can take care with which prawns they use for bait, they can help preserve the relatively disease free status of Australian prawns," Mr Glanville said.

To raise awareness among anglers about the consequences of using imported green (uncooked) prawns as bait, DPI&F is now distributing educational materials to bait and tackle shops and other outlets throughout the State.

For more information contact DPI&F Business Information Centre on 13 25 23.

Haha do you mean there is parasite contamination risk even with food-grade prawns? Brrr...

Yes there is a 100% chance of parasites any body that says brr to something they can affect Australian envoiroment needs help

Sent from my GT-S7500T using Tapatalk 2

Thanks Linc, I will stop using frozen peeled prawns as i'm pretty sure they don't come in Aussie varieties. But the fresh ones do, so the right thing to do might be to buy these and pop them in them freezer?

Kingfisher you misunderstand mate, I was just concerned about the fact I eat a lot of these prawns and never expected they might carry parasites!

Yeah I always use the woolworths aussie banana prawns, I reckon they have more flavour as they come with the guts too. When I have time to prep in advance I'll peel them the day before and use the heads and shell in my burley mix too, then you're not wasting half of what you pay for.

You can usually get them for around $15-17 per KG which is still much cheaper than tackle shop prawns.