Up from Lilli Pilli

Yowie

Fished early Tuesday morning. The jews in the picture will be non legal from 1st November ( but the majority of jews will fall into that category)

Was happy to only keep the larger one, the smaller one swallowed the hook, and during the fight, it's stomach pulled out and ripped a hole along it. The fish died shortly after capture, so it was kept. A problem sometimes with smaller jews, as they can be greedy feeders at times and will swallow larger baits. Also released a just over legal one.

Apart from another tailor that spat the hook near the boat, not much else. 4 kingies followed up a little reddie at one stage, but they would only have been about 45cm long.

Not much wind, and a thick fog after sunrise, but home before the wind hit.

post-13153-0-06720300-1383124749_thumb.jpg

Welldone yowie thats a nice feed :) any surface bust ups?

Apart from a couple of scattered splashes, the main things jumping were pillies. Hooked a couple out, one of them produced the larger jewie.

Nice Catch, Personally I reckon Jewie legal limit should be 60cm

That's what I suggested to Fisheries in their survey, minimum of 60cm and 2 fish. 2 is plenty to keep. don't need 5 each.

I have kept records of my fish captures since 1968 (thought it was a good idea at the time as a teenager) and offered it to Fisheries for their survey, but the @#*^ wits did not even bother to respond to me.

i personally think that its unfair , they should have allowed 1 fish at 60cm and the second fish at 70cm this way the few times that we do come across a jewfish bycatch we get to take one home ,its been over 15 years since i hooked a 70cm + fish, they also know that 90% of all jewfish that get hooked are under 70cm .

i personally think that its unfair , they should have allowed 1 fish at 60cm and the second fish at 70cm this way the few times that we do come across a jewfish bycatch we get to take one home ,its been over 15 years since i hooked a 70cm + fish, they also know that 90% of all jewfish that get hooked are under 70cm .

Professional netters are allowed to still pull out a lot (500 kgs) and keep and sell up to 10 fish from 45 to 70cm, yet us anglers, who only want 1 or 2 fish for a feed, are bent over again and getting reamed up the rear end.

Professional netters are allowed to still pull out a lot (500 kgs) and keep and sell up to 10 fish from 45 to 70cm, yet us anglers, who only want 1 or 2 fish for a feed, are bent over again and getting reamed up the rear end.

That is obscene! What possible justification can there be for that insane arrangement?

Cheers

Paikea

Hi Gents,

Just thought i would point out that the reason the limit has gone up to 2 fish only and over 70cms is so we see MORE of the these larger fish in the system.

thats is the reason why you cant catch 70+cm fish often due to people keeping 45-50cm fish regurtlarly.

look at the difference in teh kinfish population compared to 25 years ago... the Kingies are bigger and more prolific than ever measured in history.

common sense i think gents.

I notice that its all the meat fishers that are moaning about size changes

Sent from my GT-S7500T using Tapatalk 2

Not moaning, just expressing my views. I go fishing to catch a feed of fish, not to throw everything back in.

• 1 month later...

Fished early Tuesday morning. The jews in the picture will be non legal from 1st November ( but the majority of jews will fall into that category)

Was happy to only keep the larger one, the smaller one swallowed the hook, and during the fight, it's stomach pulled out and ripped a hole along it. The fish died shortly after capture, so it was kept. A problem sometimes with smaller jews, as they can be greedy feeders at times and will swallow larger baits. Also released a just over legal one.

Apart from another tailor that spat the hook near the boat, not much else. 4 kingies followed up a little reddie at one stage, but they would only have been about 45cm long.

Not much wind, and a thick fog after sunrise, but home before the wind hit.

NIce catch mate! Where bouts did you go near lilli pilli?

NIce catch mate! Where bouts did you go near lilli pilli?

Out a bit from the baths is all I will say.

The jews can be found in the deeper water, areas where the bottom slopes away from the bank and starts to flatten out. The jews will cruise along the bottom of the slope, though some will cruise in to shallower water at night, and even near the surface.