Hard Yakker!

Scratchie

G'day raiders,

Headed up to the barrington river last night in a much anticipated trip with a mate to explore with our kayaks in search of bass. We camped the night in swags and got up bright an early at 430am for our adventure and what a trip it was!

For me, not the fittest bloke in the world and my mate who's as fit as billy slater, it was always going to be hard yakker. It was a 10km paddle, well I thought paddle but because of the drop in water levels, there was so much shallow bedrock to drag our yaks over and very few ponds, we earns every fish we caught!

I was always told the harder you work, the better the rewards. Well, 3 ponds in 10kms, I ask my mate if you can catch a 1m bass. That is what our reward should have been.

But..........we caught some cracking fish in those 3 ponds!!! :)

A PB for me of 46cm of fat fat bass!!!post-256-0-44648500-1390658642.jpg

Not to be out done, my mate a bass fishing guru scores this one a 47cm

post-24974-0-07679800-1390637466_thumb.jpg

Here are some pics of the other fish we caught......

post-256-0-98719000-1390658659.jpg

post-256-0-25243300-1390682305.jpg

All up between the both of us we pulled 12 fish from those 3 pools ranging from 31-47cm. My mate won the day with the biggest and most. (8 him 4 me)

It's a very unusual fishing method for me, but I have a really good mate and mentor to show me the ropes. It is also a great way to kick back and enjoy this beautiful country of ours. For all the hard yards I did today, I've definitely earnt myself a beer!

Thanks for reading!

Cheers scratchie!!!

post-24974-0-66934900-1390637677_thumb.jpg

Well done, Scratchie!! Terrific session with your buddy! Congrats on your PB - they really 'go' at that size, eh??

Roberta

Let me know next time you are up & I will join you!! ;) (hopefully with more water, so less portage!) :074:

Roberta

Nice result Scratchie,

I too am becoming a fan of bass and the calm fresh water we chase them in.

Ill be heading out on the Nepean next weekend for sure. Is there a particular lure that's working we'll for you?

I'm picking up mostly small bass from where I am fishing. Not sure if I need to change locations of just persist and hope some bigger ones take my lure? Any thoughts/suggestions?

Edited by DeanFish

Mate those are absolutely stoking fish! Check the weight on em! Great work on the pbs. Sounds like a perfect trip...maybe the 4th pond had that 1m reward specimen :P good on ya for haulin ass all that way.

Cheers

Witha

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk

They are some cracker footballs scratch! I think someone has found a bit of a liking for the sweet water. ;)

Congrats on some fine specimens mate. They are well deserved after such a mighty effort.

cheers luc, they were all well feed and hit like a train. The sweetwater???? haven't made up my mind but I love yakking!

Well done mate, it's certainly been a good season for the Bass so far.

Cheers Dave, it has certainly worth getting out there and throw a lure or two. Check your pm's too! I sent you one.

Very nice bass scratchie the effort put in is well and truly rewarded with captires in remote places like that

thanks mate. remote indeed. didn't see another person all day. Just the way I like it.

Well done, Scratchie!! Terrific session with your buddy! Congrats on your PB - they really 'go' at that size, eh??

Roberta

Let me know next time you are up & I will join you!! ;) (hopefully with more water, so less portage!) :074:

Roberta

Thanks Roberta. They go well at that size. I'm still only new to it, but I sort of compare them to barra, especially went you get them on the surface!

I have 4months off soon and we WILL catch up for a fish!!

Nice result Scratchie,

I too am becoming a fan of bass and the calm fresh water we chase them in.

Ill be heading out on the Nepean next weekend for sure. Is there a particular lure that's working we'll for you?

I'm picking up mostly small bass from where I am fishing. Not sure if I need to change locations of just persist and hope some bigger ones take my lure? Any thoughts/suggestions?

Hey Dean, not a big fan after that trek but its good fun no matter what fishing your doing!! Nepean?? my thoughts are change location, ive fished there with diesel a few times and most were all small fish, he's caught some good ones though. The more remote, the bigger the fish our smallest was 31cm.

I got one on a taylor made surface lure early morning but we both used deep diving fatdog38 lures one orange colors and one natural. The orange one was best. From what I learnt, orange, green, white and red work best!

Mate those are absolutely stoking fish! Check the weight on em! Great work on the pbs. Sounds like a perfect trip...maybe the 4th pond had that 1m reward specimen :P good on ya for haulin ass all that way.

Cheers

Witha

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk

cheers witha! they were fat as! We looked for that 4th pond for the last 3km. Tough going but very happy with the result.

Fantastic trip mate. Nothing like the reward of pulling a bass after putting in a massive effort. Congrats on the pb 46's and 47's are cracking wild bass.

Cheers mate! Yep the freshwater boys certainly do it harder than the boaties!

Well done Jeff, that's a top catch and report. You certainly worked hard for it and deserved the reward. Good on you for doing an overnight camp followed up by a 10km paddle interdispersed with heavy labour dragging of the yak!

Cheers Pete! Was a hard slog and feeling a bit sore today but looking at the photos and footage, it was worth it!

Good work Scratchie

Must go hard those big ones

Was going to ask if you wanted to come and chase some marlin tommorrow

But sounds your still sore

Stickybeak

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes I am still sore but nothing could stop me chasing beaks except for the mrs of course! But she's giving me the thumbs up, so see you in the morning champ!

Barrington river near the Barrington tops in the upper hunter?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Yes and no. Same direction but is only west of glouster about 5km. I'm pretty sure it's the run off from the tops! It feeds into the manning!

Google barrington rd west or east and it runs between the two! There's a causeway there you can unload a yak from!

Good news then. Ive had a crack at a few places aroubd Sydney with no luck. Family owns a property and the allyn runs through it. Only ever seen cat fish and eels but then again never really had a good look.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

G-sus Jeff,

is there nothing you can't do well? I tips me lid, kneel humbly in your presence, flail myself while uttering "I am but a worthless Dung Beetle" in reverence to your bass, and other fish, catching skills. You deserve a massage and a keg after that slog. Good to hear and thanks for a top read and great pics.

Edited by GreyNurse

G-sus Jeff,

is there nothing you can't do well? I tips me lid, kneel humbly in your presence, flail myself while uttering "I am but a worthless Dung Beetle" in reverence to your bass, and other fish, catching skills. You deserve a massage and a keg after that slog. Good to hear and thanks for a top read and great pics.

Cheers nursie. I'm lucky to have so much time off ATM. And we all know, fishing is about time and effort. I do put in a lot of effort though!