Sydney Kingfish - With Video

DeanFish

Downtofish,

The lively lures 4" Mack bait get a good wrap. I'm yet to try one but will make sure I do. Do you have a fav colour?

It was blue with green under the belly with black stripes but its hardly got any paint left on it now, needed a retune last year after being hammered by a big tailor and breaking one of the treble hooks so it wasn't swimming straight, but once I fixed it up worked a treat. They don't make them anymore so get one sooner rather than later

Great video! unlucky about the downrigger Bomb had you replaced the wire with braid and if so was this to save the downrigger incase you had got snagged, because im wondering what kind of pressure the downrigger would be under with my wire trace when my bomb gets snagged up!!

Hi Tom_125,

The downrigger I am using is only a cheap one as I initially was not sure if downrigging was a technique I would enjoy. I was still using cable it's hard to tell but it appears that cable has snapped down close to the bomb before braking the downrigger which to be honest is a bit surprising given it's only plastic. From what I read people who downrigg a lot appear to be going with the braid in place of cable due to less resistance/noise, your snag reason and no salt build up issues on the cable.

Those small plastic squids from Yamashita (white or purple/silver/blue) rigged with a barrel sinker in them and a straight shanked hook (O'Shaughnessy work well) and trolled at 5-7 knots really get the bonnies going. Cheap as chips too. The rats will also take them. Also less fish lost after hook-up with the single hook in my experience.

Yeah I was out at the colours on Sunday, rats rats and more rats!!!

Weird thing was they wouldn't touch live squid? But when we put out fresh squid strips they were smashing it!

All around the 55-60cm mark. Great fun but no dinner!

Where exactly is "the colours"?

Hi Tom_125,

The downrigger I am using is only a cheap one as I initially was not sure if downrigging was a technique I would enjoy. I was still using cable it's hard to tell but it appears that cable has snapped down close to the bomb before braking the downrigger which to be honest is a bit surprising given it's only plastic. From what I read people who downrigg a lot appear to be going with the braid in place of cable due to less resistance/noise, your snag reason and no salt build up issues on the cable.

Cheers Deanfish yer downrigging is definetly a great technique, yer i have realised that alot of anglers change from wire to braid but just interesting to know the reasons