Land based Kings 21/3

DaveTheBoy

So this trip started out yesterday afternoon with a quick harbour flick for squid, 5 in the bag in 1/2hr and feeling hopeful of my planned kings session.

post-12244-0-92732200-1395378780_thumb.jpg

Fast forward to this morning - I hit the rocks at Wollongong and just had a ball. The first 3 squid landed kings in succession 66cm smallest to 78cm (new pb for me) the largest. The fish were often coming up with 3 or 4 fish following them, it really was a spectacle!

post-12244-0-41077700-1395378564_thumb.jpg

I was just fishing unweighted bait, 30lb braid to 30lb flouro leader & 2 x 3/0 snelled hooks casting just behind the wash. Some guys beside me had a pool of live yakkas fishing under floats & they were making my session look boring by comparison! Every cast was a hookup or some kind of action. We had double & triple hookups at times, and helped each other with the landing net which was nice.

I then released a rat, and the last bait hooked a salmon (50cm), and as I was bringing him in he was also pursued by a number of kings who tried stealing him from my line!

post-12244-0-90877000-1395378580_thumb.jpg

With no more bait I switched to plastic, now that's an exciting way to catch kingfish! I was watching them come up on the lure & strike - busted off one, released 2 rats, then got this one legal to call it a day! It's the first time I've landed kings on plastics. Anyone could have bagged out many times over I think, the fish were just on today. Incidentally the other guys on the ledge only took home 3 fish a piece, I took 4 which will all be eaten tomorrow, it's nice when we all respect the limits - it would have been easy to get carried away (we've all seen that happen at times).

The lure was a jerk shad "pearl white" 13cm for anyone interested.

Having learnt to slow down & play the fish out a little better has greatly increased my landing rate, I was busted off only once today so getting a little better all the time. With a big family BBQ happening tomorrow I'm set to be a hero with the kingfish steaks! Sorry for the long post I'm probably just a bit excited, but I started out this summer to catch my first king, and though it took me a few months of catching none - the time put in to learning is paying off.

post-12244-0-80881400-1395378607_thumb.jpg

Sounds like an amazing session ! So exciting to see a pack of kings following the one you're hooked on, I bet that one will stay in your memory for a long while ! Well done on the pb too

• 3 weeks later...

Nice catch!!! Where abouts did you fish them out?

Mate my go to spots have been Bass Point, Port Kembla and Bellambi. All land based and all have fished equally well, this has been my first summer catching kings. Took me a few months of learning to get my first, they have since become pretty regular as I have worked out the art of catching them. All part of the great learning adventure!

Mate my go to spots have been Bass Point, Port Kembla and Bellambi. All land based and all have fished equally well, this has been my first summer catching kings. Took me a few months of learning to get my first, they have since become pretty regular as I have worked out the art of catching them. All part of the great learning adventure!

Nice mate, thanks for that, i will be sure to give it a try. Do you fish them on a float?