Headed out to the shelf early on Saturday morning in search of marlin, dollies and tuna. We were met by a pod of dolphins as we passed through the heads but the water was ~22 degrees and green so we pushed on. The water pretty much stayed that way until we hit the shelf at which point we found the warm snap we were looking for. Water quickly changed to a deep blue as the temp increased from ~23 degrees to ~26 degrees in the space of a few kilometres. We put the spread out and started to troll towards Browns. We were there in no time as the current was ripping south at about 5knts/hr. As we passed over the top of Browns around 30 dolphins surrounded the boat and about a minute later we spotted two freejumpers less than 100m directly behind our spread. We worked the area and the current line for the best part of 6 hours but unfortunately all for zeros - frustrating after a promising start to the morning.

We decided to change up the spread with some smaller lures to try to get some dollies and tuna for a feed as we headed back towards Sydney. Managed to land four 70cm+ dollies and a nice striped tuna around some floating debris and the FAD which made the day for the boys. Had one big strike a couple of kilometres north of the FAD but the fish spat the lure after a solid 20 second run - pretty sure it was a big dollie or tuna.

Weather forecast is looking good for this weekend at the moment so will hopefully be able to get out there to have another crack at getting this marlin.

post-32358-0-09231400-1395658858_thumb.jpg

post-32358-0-01960600-1395658929_thumb.jpg

post-32358-0-39983000-1395659023_thumb.jpg

post-32358-0-66833300-1395659074_thumb.jpg

Edited by Baby Karlos

Lucky you saw the free jumpers, we went Sunday and got real excited as we thought a Marlin swam right through our spead at the shelf but it was a dolphin

Would have been the first time we even got that far so we weny from a big high to real low

Got 9 legal but small dollys on the way back so atleast we got a feed

Good luck on the weekend weather looks good so far

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Cheers mate - nothing wrong with landing 9 dollies

You are not wrong we are happy to get 9 and picked up another 11 legal dollies on saturday in 20 minutes which was on of the crasiest sessions I've ever had but got my heart set on landing our first Marlin or one of the bigger dollies my freinds gave been catching so will keep at it with the hope persistence will pay off eventually

Best regards David

I hear you - we tried to get out there on Saturday at around 3pm for an afternoon session and retreated after getting a couple of kms out of the heads

Backed up first thing on Sunday and had one of my best day's fishing ever and definitely my best off Sydney. Will be writing up a summary when I get a chance later this week

We were so so close to landing our first Marlin

Edited by Baby Karlos

I hear you - we tried to get out there on Saturday at around 3pm for an afternoon session and retreated after getting a couple of kms out of the heads

Backed up first thing on Sunday and had one of my best day's fishing ever and definitely my best off Sydney. Will be writing up a summary when I get a chance later this week

We were so so close to landing our first Marlin

Looking forward to the report, sounds like we are in similar place, trying to get our first Marlin. It will but its hard work, finding them is the first challenge, so you did well if you got close