Dollies Fiesta by the Three Amigos ! ... 3.3.2023

zmk1962

mrsswordfisherman
This post was recognized by mrsswordfisherman!

"Entertaining report, great crew and a memorable catch"

zmk1962 was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 200 points.

Ola Raiders,

Bob@Pickles and I have been planning a trip out on devOcean for a while but travel followed by torn meniscus in both knees have kept me grounded. I finally started to come good this week and with Friday's 3.3.2023 forecast showing excellent conditions we agreed to head out and have a shot at the Sydney North FAD.  Out of the blue I reached out to Jerry @wrxhoon1 to see if he was available and as luck would have it Jerry was free as his regular crew could not commit to a Friday trip. 

image.thumb.png.0c85de497dd36da78e7df953619b2389.png

I was a bit sceptical about success at the FAD as @HOOLIGAN2 had reported zero action there. Also I was out earlier in the week on Tuesday (report to follow) when I could only manage 1 yakka live bait after 45min of effort. Furthermore I found the water temp off Broken Bay had dropped from the 26-27C to  22.4C-23.9C. It was not looking promising but nevertheless the "Three Amigos" chose to ride again.

Plan A was to launch at Parsley Bay around 6am and hit West Head for livies. Plan B was to return to drift the flathead grounds off Broken Bay.

image.thumb.png.73036e55a208528c03c0c4788d952913.png

Well the gods were shining on us: 40+ yakkas in 40min ... is that some kind of FR record? 

I will confess I borrowed a trick from @GordoRetired regarding preparing burley and it seemed to have worked on this day. I'll let Gordo elaborate if he chooses. But the yakkas came on in numbers and were ravenous.

7.30am we pointed devOcean east and headed to the FAD. We arrived to find the water temp around 23.4C, slight current and one boat on the East most FAD 20A, leaving the West FAD 20 all to us. We positioned ourselves about 10m from the FAD and activated Fishpoint (Yam helmmaster spotlock) ... and the livies went in .... 

image.thumb.png.b1153c4dce98de789895b1b02c133d3e.png

What followed next was a dollie feeding frenzy fiesta ! ... 

image.thumb.png.ffc40c0f0fe09576f815e1bce0f49ad4.png

image.thumb.png.ee6694f90f4841bd1209a9a1b9054115.png

image.thumb.png.1a07d3020d4b9f289f7b786e1d9d954a.png

image.thumb.png.e6ea80e1d8cb943a0f51cd12d92366b2.png

image.thumb.png.a1d48508d4eb6a0b3290f7b6a7d3d9a3.png

The lads kept the fish coming in ... while I was distracted !!!

image.thumb.png.ce11a8300b042dee2f090e45b42c3bc0.png

And what was I distracted with ??????? ....

image.thumb.png.42cb5cdf6b7cd7de48d9409a0bd0363c.png

I had pulled in a rather energetic dollie and the wave motion swung it just a tad too close to my leg resulting in a double hook up with a 70cm dollie attached to my leg Ouch!   Jerry later qualified that we actually had a triple hook up at that time - one just happened to be me. Anyway, after flattening the barb, pulling the hook out, rubbing with antiseptic wipe and applying the ever important baindaid ... I was good to go to fish on.

By 10am we had, 21 dollies in the kill tank, had run out of live baits and were questioning who made the call to stop catching livies ????

image.thumb.png.b33a47e59f43e603ff48aa66c9978a97.png

But as luck would have it .... the spearos had also turned up !

image.thumb.png.21fdc59746e94e018bdc0f21123fb070.png

So with that ... we decided to activate plan B and headed back in closer to Broken Bay wide.... Long story short, we ended the day landing 21 x dollies (ranging from 62cm to 90+cm), 3 x flathead and 1 x Zoran.

image.thumb.png.ccce2d54306cbe3fba0e51bab1036c5d.png

An absolute cracker of a day spent in great company with lots of laughs and never ending action.

Tight lines Amigos.

Cheers Zoran

PS - I'll post a video once I have a chance to compress all the footage.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2

Cream always rises to the top! What a cracking report. Heaps of action for the 3 Amigos and plenty of quality fish for the table, fridge, and friends. Shame that you didn't have more livies and that those pesky divers turned up, but you had probably done enough damage to the Dollies population anyway.

Trust that your leg heals up ok.

Beautiful boat Zoran.

bn

Edited by big Neil
more info
  • Like 1

Impressive session Zoran!  Hopefully that leg heals up quickly and you’re just left with a little scar to point out when the fishing stories start flying around a table one evening. 

• Like 1

Oh my now THAT is a report!!!

40 yakkas in 40 mins has got to be an FR record :1clap:

Fantastic pics of the day. Two stand out - the one of you operating on your leg injury while the crew keep fishing  :15: and the other is the pic of what I thought at first glimpse was a netted large banana :074:

Well done Team Amigos :clapping:

I am calling your vessel M.A.S.H. from now on!

• Thanks 1

You have to love it when a plan comes together with plenty of quality meals coming up for three omigos.  Hopefully your leg heals up without to much fuss.  That's an impressive amount of deck space on Devocean and you needed it for the brag mat! 

• Like 1

What a haul! Well done skipper - got them onto the fish!

Dont you hate it when you think you have enough bait, and you encounter on “on” day. You guys get any on lures? or all on livies?

Fish look of decent size too, you take a measure to the largest fish?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Larkin said:

Fish look of decent size too, you take a measure to the largest fish?

The Zoran fish came in at 167cm and 68kg. Is that another FishRaider record? 🤣

A few of the Dollies were over 90cm. Can’t recall the biggest maybe the other Amigos can chip in. 
A couple at the end were caught on dead bait/strips. They would not touch SPs that we threw at them. 
Cheers Z

• Haha 3

Well mate .. what  a days fishing .. everything was working-  boat , yakkas and the dollies.. plus some plan b fhead.. well done. Just have to keep the legs out of the way 😊 .. and the divers are a pain. I’ve been out there to find them there and right on the FAD .. 

As always … great report

• Like 1

Well done on beating those pesky divers to the honey hole & almost filling up the  built in esky / fish well before they arrived. Sounds like the yakkas were almost jumping into the boat 😎

Nice work on removing the leg jewellery (ouch) hopefully it heals well & doesn’t leave to much of a scare for future stories 

As always great report & photos 👍

• Like 1

6 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

The Zoran fish came in at 167cm and 68kg. Is that another FishRaider record? 🤣

A few of the Dollies were over 90cm. Can’t recall the biggest maybe the other Amigos can chip in. 
A couple at the end were caught on dead bait/strips. They would not touch SPs that we threw at them. 
Cheers Z

I only bothered to measure one of the big ones I boated she was a bit over 90 cm. We were all so busy boating them and taking the hooks off. Some pesty king rats there  chasing our livies. 

Zoran thanks again for the invite.

P.S. I told you you need a bigger landing net....

• Haha 1

A brilliant day with deadly (Raider) company - who said big boys can’t play with Dollie’s.

Thanks to Legend Zoran and fellow legend Jerry for a great day. We had so many bananas on board, it would have been unlikely to have not been successful.

Devocean has every bell and whistle - superb “ Marine machine” - my only 2 suggestions: depth charges and torpedoes for spearo’s (joking - I dive too). And 1000 apologies Zoran for “catching the prop” (twice😣)

Dinner was superb- gotta love dolphin fish.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

Ola Raiders,

Bob@Pickles and I have been planning a trip out on devOcean for a while but travel followed by torn meniscus in both knees have kept me grounded. I finally started to come good this week and with Friday's 3.3.2023 forecast showing excellent conditions we agreed to head out and have a shot at the Sydney North FAD.  Out of the blue I reached out to Jerry @wrxhoon1 to see if he was available and as luck would have it Jerry was free as his regular crew could not commit to a Friday trip. 

image.thumb.png.0c85de497dd36da78e7df953619b2389.png

I was a bit sceptical about success at the FAD as @HOOLIGAN2 had reported zero action there. Also I was out earlier in the week on Tuesday (report to follow) when I could only manage 1 yakka live bait after 45min of effort. Furthermore I found the water temp off Broken Bay had dropped from the 26-27C to  22.4C-23.9C. It was not looking promising but nevertheless the "Three Amigos" chose to ride again.

Plan A was to launch at Parsley Bay around 6am and hit West Head for livies. Plan B was to return to drift the flathead grounds off Broken Bay.

image.thumb.png.73036e55a208528c03c0c4788d952913.png

Well the gods were shining on us: 40+ yakkas in 40min ... is that some kind of FR record? 

I will confess I borrowed a trick from @GordoRetired regarding preparing burley and it seemed to have worked on this day. I'll let Gordo elaborate if he chooses. But the yakkas came on in numbers and were ravenous.

7.30am we pointed devOcean east and headed to the FAD. We arrived to find the water temp around 23.4C, slight current and one boat on the East most FAD 20A, leaving the West FAD 20 all to us. We positioned ourselves about 10m from the FAD and activated Fishpoint (Yam helmmaster spotlock) ... and the livies went in .... 

image.thumb.png.b1153c4dce98de789895b1b02c133d3e.png

What followed next was a dollie feeding frenzy fiesta ! ... 

image.thumb.png.ffc40c0f0fe09576f815e1bce0f49ad4.png

image.thumb.png.ee6694f90f4841bd1209a9a1b9054115.png

image.thumb.png.1a07d3020d4b9f289f7b786e1d9d954a.png

image.thumb.png.e6ea80e1d8cb943a0f51cd12d92366b2.png

image.thumb.png.a1d48508d4eb6a0b3290f7b6a7d3d9a3.png

The lads kept the fish coming in ... while I was distracted !!!

image.thumb.png.ce11a8300b042dee2f090e45b42c3bc0.png

And what was I distracted with ??????? ....

image.thumb.png.42cb5cdf6b7cd7de48d9409a0bd0363c.png

I had pulled in a rather energetic dollie and the wave motion swung it just a tad too close to my leg resulting in a double hook up with a 70cm dollie attached to my leg Ouch!   Jerry later qualified that we actually had a triple hook up at that time - one just happened to be me. Anyway, after flattening the barb, pulling the hook out, rubbing with antiseptic wipe and applying the ever important baindaid ... I was good to go to fish on.

By 10am we had, 21 dollies in the kill tank, had run out of live baits and were questioning who made the call to stop catching livies ????

image.thumb.png.b33a47e59f43e603ff48aa66c9978a97.png

But as luck would have it .... the spearos had also turned up !

image.thumb.png.21fdc59746e94e018bdc0f21123fb070.png

So with that ... we decided to activate plan B and headed back in closer to Broken Bay wide.... Long story short, we ended the day landing 21 x dollies (ranging from 62cm to 90+cm), 3 x flathead and 1 x Zoran.

image.thumb.png.ccce2d54306cbe3fba0e51bab1036c5d.png

An absolute cracker of a day spent in great company with lots of laughs and never ending action.

Tight lines Amigos.

Cheers Zoran

PS - I'll post a video once I have a chance to compress all the footage.

Great pics and photos, I told Jerry the day I won't be there , he'll catch them.

We went 5 times to catch a 🍩 each time!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Saadkhan said:

Great pics and photos, I told Jerry the day I won't be there , he'll catch them.

We went 5 times to catch a 🍩 each time!

Sorry to hear … fish can be like that - one day there the next not. Guess 🍩s can make you “SADkahn” but your turn will come. 
cheers Zoran