Towing Capacity question

pod

Hi all,

Is it ok/safe to tow just below a cars max towing capacity? mine is a 2.4L 2wd sedan with 1200kg towing capacity. towing a 5.5m fibreglass with 90hp 2stroke.

The dealer and a mate said the car can tow it ok without any problems, just want more opinions.

Many thanks,

Regards,

A 5.5m fibreglass boat is pretty hefty. Whether the car can handle it or whether it will damage the car may not be your main concern.

I'm sure someone will confirm this or correct me if I'm wrong but if your are over the maximum towing capacity then it could become an insurance and liability issue. I'd imagine if you are exceeding the weight limit and have a crash and injure someone or worse than you may find yourself on the wrong side of the law and your insurance company even if you weren't at fault.

I'd be finding a public weigh station some where and finding out exactly how much your towing.

Remember to make allowance for a fully laden boat. By the time you make allowances for a couple of batteries, anchors and chain, fishing gear, safety gear, esky, bait, ice, 100+ litres of fuel and everything else you carry (and your fish) it is easy to add on a few hundred kilos, particularly if you're going on holidays and using your boat to carry everything which wont fit in your car such as kids bikes or camping gear.

• Like 2

talks to fish would be correct. everyone knows insurance companies try to deny claims any way possible. dealers would not have a clue, their salesman and would tell you anything. there are various weigh stations around and i would probably check your weight with one.

the she'll be right mate approach could be a bad idea if a problem arrises.

Thanks for the advice guys, the boat is around 550kg (Baysport 545). Will definately weigh it but need advice is its ok to tow such capacity.

Honda Accord Euro 2009

Can someone suggest a weighbridge in sydney near rockdale/botany.
Can I ask the dealer to weigh it before I take it home? or thats something extra with fees?

many thanks,

Edited by pod

there is public weighbridge in botany just near the oil tanks when you driving along foreshore drive AWAY from the airport. go up over that bridge where the tanks are on your right and then as you come down there is a left turn and big sign saying public weighbridge

plenty easy access I got my 7.5m trailer in there to be weighted

Hi mate, I think you will be over once fuel and gear is on. I had a honda accord. Same towing capacity. I had a cox craft 5.4m glass boat. Not the heaviest of boats and it was 1380kg when loaded. Not full tank. If an accident occurs like stated above, you wont be covered. So dont worry what the dealer suggests. Make sure you are safe first.

Pod,

If the dealer told you that your car will be fine to tow it during negotiations than I would suggest you politly request he put that statement in writting prior to taking delivery of the boat.

FYI I just typed "Baysport 545 boat weight" into google and the first item i opened up stated that the BMT is 1200kg.

Add fuel, electrics, safety gear and you will be 1400 or more kg all day long.

Alternatively request the dealer put it over a weigh bridge and provide you with a copy.

Regards

Hi, I would not want to tow such a boat with your car no matter what anyone says. The only way to know for sure what a particular BMT will weigh is to put the normal gear like fuel, safety equipment and the average boating equipment and put it over a weigh bridge. The only way such a rig would be close to 1200Kg's is if it has an alloy trailer but I doubt that is the case.

Cheers,

Huey.

I agree totally with Huey......don't risk it!

From a law enforcement point of view, forget about the Insurance companies wiping you like a dirty rag if you have a accident towing a trailer exceeding the vehicles capacity.

Think about it from a criminal negligence point of view. Hypothetically what about if you have a accident and kill or seriously injure somebody. A subsequent investigation finds you were aware of the issues and risk of using your vehicle to tow a boat at or over the manufacturers recommendations then the degree of negligence is now in the dangerous driving category. Such offences carry up to 10yrs gaol.

My advice is don't be stupid and risk it. Either buy a boat that is better suited to your tow vehicle or upgrade your car to something bigger.

I'll leave you with this......do you have kids? Would you be comfortable putting them in the back set of your car while you set off on Xmas holidays with all the gear in the back knowing that you are towing a ticking time bomb?

The dealer just weighed the boat on a weighbridge and said he got the paper of the total boat and trailer + motor, electrical coming up with 1040kg. (without any fuel) so it will fall just under the limit with fuel.

I wouldn't travel far interstate or anywhere over 100km away from home while towing, mostly just to the local boat ramp.

Is it safely doable and easy? or should I look into getting a Challenger 4x4 or something similar?

Guest Aussie007

The dealer just weighed the boat on a weighbridge and said he got the paper of the total boat and trailer + motor, electrical coming up with 1040kg. (without any fuel) so it will fall just under the limit with fuel.

I wouldn't travel far interstate or anywhere over 100km away from home while towing, mostly just to the local boat ramp.

Is it safely doable and easy? or should I look into getting a Challenger 4x4 or something similar?

if u tow it with your honda expect the engine to wear out in 12-18 months towing that boat, i had a commodore that lasted me 6 years of towing various boats up to 18.5 foot half cabin glass boat and in the end i was seeing a full tank of fuel last 265km's thats 65L tank of fuel without towing anything and highway km's

u mentioned getting a 4x4 if u can afford it buy a diesel 4x4 and u shouldnt have a problem some are rated to pull 3.5ton which is just crazy :devil:

if your on a budget u can buy a older model commodore and tow it with that they tow fine but do wear out and the cars are cheap as chips on flea bay, have only ever been stuck once with the 18.5 footer on a sandy and weedy ramp in the commie

thank-you all for your informative feedback, I've taken serious consideration about my safety and my family/friends and the public and have bought a new 4x4 AWD which can tow 3T, so no longer a problem.

Goodbye Euro...

Regards,

Pod

thank-you all for your informative feedback, I've taken serious consideration about my safety and my family/friends and the public and have bought a new 4x4 AWD which can tow 3T, so no longer a problem.

You will not be sorry, I have seen some horrific accidents from small vehicles towing large weights. It's not worth it.

Cheers

Paikea

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 years later...

Hi All. Similar question to above. I've got a Skoda Octavia Wagon 2WD 1.4T. Braked towing capacity is 1.5T. I've got a Swiftcraft Seagull 5m with 90HP 2 Stroke Yamaha.

All up weight (calculated) will be approx 1,120KG. 
- Boat Dry - 430KG
- Engine - 120KG
- Accessories/Batteries/Esky/Etc - 120kg
- 80L Fuel - 60KG
- Trailer - 390KG

The weight is within the towing capacity of the Skoda.

My question is, will I be able to get it out of the water at a ramp with a 2WD, 110KW power, 250nm torque?

Cheers
Itai

2 hours ago, eitai2001 said:

Hi All. Similar question to above. I've got a Skoda Octavia Wagon 2WD 1.4T. Braked towing capacity is 1.5T. I've got a Swiftcraft Seagull 5m with 90HP 2 Stroke Yamaha.

- Boat Dry - 430KG
- Engine - 120KG
- 80L Fuel - 60KG
- Trailer - 390KG

My question is, will I be able to get it out of the water at a ramp with a 2WD, 110KW power, 250nm torque?

Cheers
Itai

Anything will pretty much pull anything out of the water.The question is how good is the ramp, your tyres? Ramp composition, slime, gradient, weight over your drive axles, tyre condition , tackiness will all effect it and when you start wheel spinning/ sliding back into the water.

Personally I would go on a high tide, check the ramp is in good nick and throw a wheel chock under your cars back wheels for etc security.

i have a 550kg tinny and a 4wd hilux with off road tyres that spun in 4wd pulling my boat out of a ramp down Wollongong giving me a fright..Ramp was wet, slippery and slimey.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, eitai2001 said:

- Boat Dry - 430KG
- Engine - 120KG
- 80L Fuel - 60KG
- Trailer - 390KG

Cheers
Itai

Tricky one to answer eitai2001. Ramps can be slippery and 2WD vehicles (front wheels, I assume) can easily lose traction. I have towed, launched, and retrieved Pickles 5m aluminium boat with my Toyota Camry 4 cyl petrol vehicle with no trouble and maybe Pickles could tell you what his outfit weighs. Probably not a definitive answer to your question though.

bn

• Like 1

The size of the engine, towing capacity and all those things mean little when the ramp is wet and slippery, trying to start off, uphill, with a near capacity weight, on a wet ramp is your issue, traction and gear ratios (unless it’s an auto) are your enemy. As Fab mentioned, even a lightweight boat on a bad ramp can be “interesting” when I had my 4X4 Hilux sometimes I had to use four wheel drive at Oak Flats ramp with my tinny, at low tide it’s like being on ice with roller skates, just standing there is near impossible.

No need to get a 4wd. I six cylinder sedan would be fine. A Ford Falcon would be the pick. I wouldn't tow that boat with your car. If it's front wheel drive you might have trouble pulling up a ramp. And overall it's lacking in power, braking and stability. 

Edited by slowjigger
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Fab1 said:

Anything will pretty much pull anything out of the water.The question is how good is the ramp, your tyres? Ramp composition, slime, gradient, weight over your drive axles, tyre condition , tackiness will all effect it and when you start wheel spinning/ sliding back into the water.

Personally I would go on a high tide, check the ramp is in good nick and throw a wheel chock under your cars back wheels for etc security.

i have a 550kg tinny and a 4wd hilux with off road tyres that spun in 4wd pulling my boat out of a ramp down Wollongong giving me a fright..Ramp was wet, slippery and slimey.

This is a good answer.

The ramp/s you will use are almost more important than the car/boat combo.