First ever caught and cooked blue swimmer crabs

dale91

With all this beautiful weather we have been blessed with recently, i couldn't help but go for a fish in the hacking, just after midday. Being my lazy self and having old frozen pilchards in the freezer, they were my bait of choice.

Unfortunately with dozens of boats driving past i was unable to nab any squid (losing two yamashita jigs), whilst losing the only fish i hooked on the rocks which looked like a bream, forcing me to walk home with only two blue swimmer crabs.

The crab were thrown in the freezer, as soon as i stepped foot in the front door, to numb their senses, while i looked up how to prep my crab. After killing the crab humanely, it was easy to prep the crab with some help from youtube. The crab was tossed in a wok with vegetable oil, garlic, chilli, oyster sauce, soy, sugar, butter and black pepper corns and if i were to say so myself, it was so flavoursome and possibly the best crab I've ever eaten (slight hint of bias).

All in all an awesome feed from an unproductive but good day fishing.

post-21828-0-73516200-1401029889_thumb.jpgpost-21828-0-50136800-1401029891_thumb.jpgpost-21828-0-11811200-1401029893_thumb.jpgpost-21828-0-90443400-1401029894_thumb.jpgpost-21828-0-30634600-1401029896_thumb.jpg

They're some nice meaty looking crabs. I'm gonna start taking some nets out every now and then when I go for a fish as it's been a while since I had a nice feed of crabs. Did you catch them on a line or net?

Yea true fish-on, thanks

Hull mate, I had them alive until I got home and they were only in the freezer for 20 or so minutes.

Not long enough to change the flavour, just enough to make spiking them more humane.

Yeah i notice that the circles latch around their claws/legs and don't let go, now i just got to figure out the feel of a crab tugging my bait to a fish nibbling it so i know if i should play the fish for fun or concentrate and make sure i don't break a claw/leg.

Fish i am more than happy to lose but when it comes to crabs, those buggers will never be released by me....well as long as it is legal and doesn't have eggs :D

Love those Blue Swimmers, better than Mud Crabs.

Unfortunately Mrs Paikea is (fatally) allergic to crustaceans so crabs, lobsters, shellfish etc are a big No No at my place.

Great pics

Cheers

Paikea

Paikea I feel for you mate, first time I've cooked them up and now know what I've been missing.

The mrs doesn't mind sea food but she has something against eating stuff that I catch, don't get why because It can't get any more fresh

The mrs doesn't mind sea food but she has something against eating stuff that I catch, don't get why because It can't get any more fresh

You've got to change that mate! Mine won't eat bought fish after I've spoiled her with fresh fish over the years. Mind you I wouldn't buy fish either so it's a win win and gives me more chance of getting out more often :)

Haha I'll just have to keep working on it Linc,

I consistently get squid, occasionally flattys n bream. She will normally taste it but that's it and will never have it as a meal.

Ah well, more for me haha