Double Bay 10/10/14

adamski

Hey Raiders,

Went out for an SP flick around Double Bay today. Swapped my reel over so I'm winding with the left hand and wanted to have a session to get used to it.

Stuck a bloodworm wriggler with some S factor on a 1/8th and was trying to give it a quick rip. After a few casts off the wharf I got a hit and pulled in a little pinkie.

post-33473-0-07855300-1412918505_thumb.jpg

Then a few casts later I got a big hit right on the bottom. At first I was convinced it was a snag, but some decent rod-bending soon proved me wrong. As I got it to the surface I saw dark colours and called it for a big flattie. I got it up onto the wharf and it turned out to be an estuary catfish. At 57 cm, it's my biggest fish in Australia. Had to be careful getting her (big egg brood on the bottom) off the hook as I know they have venomous fins.

post-33473-0-97015300-1412918528_thumb.jpg

About 15 mins later I got a take close to the surface, which turned out to be an almost-legal tailor.

post-33473-0-46874200-1412918550_thumb.jpg

After that it was pinkies on almost every cast, but none bigger than 20 cm. Switched to a bigger Z-man grub in an attempt to stop catching them and had a walk around the beach to try for flatties, but didn't manage a fish. Went back to the wharf and had a few more casts, one of which I think had a flattie on the drop, but the head shakes threw the lure as I hadn't struck very hard.

Turned out to be my best SP session since starting and it was nice to get some decent fish. My right arm's bloody killing me now though!

All fish were realeased, thanks for reading.

Adam

Great session Adam

Great read

There some great fish and I'm sure it was heaps off fun

Better watch those catfish mate

I got stung by a big one when in the Hawksebury and was in pain for like 7 hours

It hurts a lot but I just kept fishing

Well done mate

Cracking session

Cheers Gianni

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheers for the reply Scratchie!

Felt weird at first- I'd instinctively go to wind with the right on the first few casts. After an hour or two I started to get used to it- I watched a few videos about how to improve casting technique, changed my handling too so I'm holding the rod between my middle and ring fingers and I can just about cast, flip the bale and start the retrieve without having to look down now. Pretty basic stuff, I know, but I guess little adjustments like that will hopefully improve my overall technique.

Cheers guys.

Yeah Ryder mate, definitely feel like I have more control over the rod and I notice it a lot on the retrieve. Doing things like the quick rip felt tighter and I was able to react a bit quicker when a fish struck.

Does make me realise how heavy my outfit is at the moment though- I had to stop cos my right arm was getting pretty sore. An older guy arrived a few hours after me and was kind enough to give me a bit of advice and let me feel his rod with a small shimano CI4- what a difference! Yet another reason to invest in a new combo soon!

Nice work, that does sound like a cracking land based session. I remember being stung by a catfish when I was a little tacker and look of concern from my Dad who was really worried we'd have to cut the Fish trip short, to take me to hospital, they certainly do sting. I must get down and try DB too, I have always just gone to Rosebay...

Smashin it mate! Excellent news to see you getting amongst them! Your so right about weight and combo choice. Tomorrow you can have a spin on my selection and see what you think :)

Cracker session mate excellent work

Nice work, that does sound like a cracking land based session. I remember being stung by a catfish when I was a little tacker and look of concern from my Dad who was really worried we'd have to cut the Fish trip short, to take me to hospital, they certainly do sting. I must get down and try DB too, I have always just gone to Rosebay...

Hey mate, Rose Bay can be good fun- I got my first ever fish on an SP there, but the leather jackets can be a pain in the backside. I've never done an SP-only session there- always taken bait as back up. Need to give it a solo plastics bash some time.

Thanks for the report Adam
Good stuff

Well done on having a heads up when handling cat fish

A hit from one can certainly ruin your day.

You must have some crazy tolerance to pain gianni?

I remember my old man getting stung on the hawksberry years ago and his hand blew up like a balloon in minutes.

The last thing he was thinking about was fishing on, lol.

Before long we were back in the car and racing back to sydney and he was off to the hospital.

My old boy was fairly big and a bit of a tough nut but he was in a fair bit of pain.

I suppose it can depend on each persons reaction to the venom.

Some are more effected than others to things like, venom, insect stings and allergies etc