Big Dollie

saintdylan

Hi guys went out for a troll last Saturday out of Port Hacking. Headed out at day break to see heaps of birds and bait in around 50 metres so put out the spread.

Trolled south east to around 140 metres where we didn't see to many signs of life. We decided to head north and not long after caught a stripe tuna of a couple of kilos. We then came across more birds and heaps of bait jumping out of the water. We followed the school for what must have been close to 2 hours, they were heading north at about trolling speed. I raised the question if we should move on but my mate wisely said to to persist as it looked very fishy.

I was on the wheel when I noticed a small buch of birds had broken away about 200 metres from us so headed that way for a look. As we approached the left outrigger went off on a screaming run and luckily I had picked the left side if the boat as my rods.

I got on the rod while Blake packed up all the gear then got me in the harness, around then I saw the beast launch about 200 metres behind the boat and that was the last time we saw him.

For the next forty minutes I was in good battle with plenty of long runs and also some long stalemates. We finally saw colour and Blake called it for a Black marlin but I was sure I saw a touch of green. A few more winds and our dreams came true a monster Dollie and that's when the nerves really kicked in. Lucky he was pretty tired and was gaffed and on board in no time. Plenty of hoots and high fives ( maybe a hug or two as well). He weighed 20.8 kilos and I have decided to get it mounted. Awesome day and shows persistence pays.

I have heaps of pictures if someone can tell me how to put them up.

post-15088-0-24860600-1423469624_thumb.jpg

post-15088-0-98811500-1423469717_thumb.jpg

post-15088-0-63648300-1423469736_thumb.jpg

post-15088-0-81714200-1423469757_thumb.jpg

Edited by saintdylan

Hi

We were out from Port Hacking on sat saw all the activity around the 50m mark worked it with the lures then trolled out to just south of the fad. 5 stripies and couple of small dollies around the 80-100m mark.

Now I know why we didn't catch the big dollie you caught it.

Congratulations, a great fish. We will try again on thurs.

bruce

Hi guys the fish was caught on a scent blazer, not sure of the name but it was purple and black with a red stripe. It measured 160 so a bit short of the record ( I'm not real tall). The lure was filled with squid. We got the fish just after the tide change around 11. As for comparisons to big Kingies I'm not sure as I haven't caught a king anywhere near this big although I have caught a few marlin up to 100 kg and until we saw the fish we were both sure it was a marlin.

Can't wait to get out again.

Well done what a Stonker of a Dollie , Bloody Awesome . now where would you get it Mounted and how much would it cost ?

Cheers Oziodin :fishing1:

ps: just in box me re: price & place.

well done, I'm rapped for you, that's an awesome dollie

you can get fish casts made in the US, you just choose the size of the fish and the type

http://www.fishmountstore.com/mahi-mahi/

congrats

Edited by Scent Blazer Lures

Hi guys went out for a troll last Saturday out of Port Hacking. Headed out at day break to see heaps of birds and bait in around 50 metres so put out the spread.

Trolled south east to around 140 metres where we didn't see to many signs of life. We decided to head north and not long after caught a stripe tuna of a couple of kilos. We then came across more birds and heaps of bait jumping out of the water. We followed the school for what must have been close to 2 hours, they were heading north at about trolling speed. I raised the question if we should move on but my mate wisely said to to persist as it looked very fishy.

I was on the wheel when I noticed a small buch of birds had broken away about 200 metres from us so headed that way for a look. As we approached the left outrigger went off on a screaming run and luckily I had picked the left side if the boat as my rods.

I got on the rod while Blake packed up all the gear then got me in the harness, around then I saw the beast launch about 200 metres behind the boat and that was the last time we saw him.

For the next forty minutes I was in good battle with plenty of long runs and also some long stalemates. We finally saw colour and Blake called it for a Black marlin but I was sure I saw a touch of green. A few more winds and our dreams came true a monster Dollie and that's when the nerves really kicked in. Lucky he was pretty tired and was gaffed and on board in no time. Plenty of hoots and high fives ( maybe a hug or two as well). He weighed 20.8 kilos and I have decided to get it mounted. Awesome day and shows persistence pays.

I have heaps of pictures if someone can tell me how to put them up.

Hey mate fantastic fish.

Boys the big ones are still out there. We lost one at the boat after about 30-40 mins on 24kg, N/E of the hacking fad. Ours still had a bit of go even at the end and went under the boat and the rest is history. Lesson for the inexperienced - if you are clipped into the reel via the harness unclip when you get it near the boat that way you can put the rod in the drink if the fish takes a last minute dive under the boat. Upon reflection however all I wanted was a photo as we got 2 of around 1.2m last week so im sorta glad we had the quick release.

Mike may want to add his version of events.

Johno