Rozelle 15/02/15

adamski

G'Day Raiders!

Hit Rozelle for the last two hours of the run-out tide this morning. Plastics were getting picked to pieces, so I made a choice to switch to one of my very few hard-bodied bream lures and put into practice some stuff I'd seen in youtube vids over the last few weeks. Got lots of follow-ins from bream, but no hits. I started working the lure a bit deeper round the sandbanks and got a solid take. Could tell from the headshakes and lack of fight that it wasn't a bream and as I got it nearer to the surface, I realised it was a decent flattie. Made an effort to keep the rod tip down and keep the fish in the water this time round (thank you Ryder for the advice) and fortunately a passer-by offered to grab my net and scoop it up as I got it turned round.

Came in at just under 50 cm, which is a (very modest!) PB for me on the flatties and a first fish on a lure here in Australia, so all in all I left feeling pretty happy! :)

post-33473-0-96291600-1423971871_thumb.jpgpost-33473-0-50952200-1423971894_thumb.jpg

Fantastic effort, flatties are my favourite fish to target on lure (probably coz I have a lot more luck on them than anything else) But I love the anticipation of when you tighten the line and you feel that weight and inevitable headshake or two when you hook into a 50+ model :)

Good work Adamski, not a big flattie by their size, but that is a fathead flathead and a good first fish on a lure. Can only get bigger. Most would be happy to catch one that size as a first lure catch. Keep trying and you will hit the big time. If you keep the lure deep, the bigger flatties will rise up and have a go.

Edited by yowie

Guest hawkesbass

Nice flattie.

With your hard body lures if you use a suspending lure a pause of the lure when being followed by a bream can incite a strike aswell as a few twitches of the rod tip then start your retrieve again this also works for hard body lures that float.

Thanks for the encouragement and advice guys. Hawkesbass, that's what I'd seen in the youtube vids and was trying to mimmick today- a few twitches and pauses interspersed with the retrieve. The thing I found was that on the pause the bream would just lose interest. I was using a floating lure, so I don't know if maybe I was pausing for too long and letting the lure float back up out of the strike zone. I'll need to try briefer stops next time.

Epic mate! Very well done. Hbs get addictive and rozelles a great place to fish em. Keep hammering the edge of that sandbar near the canal. Have a few released big girls there that might still be hanging around [emoji14]

Great pb I'm sure it'll keep creeping up!

Im new to fishing, where abouts is your fishing spot? I need to go out more for more experience.

As a quick guide to this forum, it is not etiquette to ask someone for their fishing spot.

It will help if you read through some of the fishing reports and use the search function on this site.

Regards scratchie mod team

I was using a floating lure, so I don't know if maybe I was pausing for too long and letting the lure float back up out of the strike zone. I'll need to try briefer stops next time.

The floaters do rise to the top when you stop the retrieve. Try a sinking type next time to see if there is any difference with strikes.