DOM-inated @port Stephens (massive snapper)

Scratchie

G'day raiders,

After a little success the other day chasing snapper, we gave it another crack today! Leaving early to head north there was myself, jnr, Dom and a mate we now call sgt baker! Today was all about sps, lures, poppers and jigs and we were looking to target some kings and snapper!

We arrived at our destination and jnr keen as, drops the jig and is straight on to a small snapper, I'm next and another small. The other boys were throwing stick baits and poppers as we drifted our mark. We did this for a couple of drifts for a few small fish.

Then what happen next is a first for me and everyone for that matter. We are drifting along and notice a bust up on the surface. At first we thought it might be kings but then we notice it's not, they are snapper and bloody huge. Dom, with reflexs like a cat, casts his popper straight into the frenzy and he's on! He plays the fish to the boat and OMG it's huge! A snapper on a popper, wow! This fish inhaled his brand new lure and crunched it!

post-24974-0-70276400-1436519587_thumb.jpg

post-24974-0-02350000-1436519715_thumb.jpg

It ended up going 82cm on the mat and a great start to the day!

post-24974-0-54882500-1436519791_thumb.jpg

After that we couldn't find them again but tried many places and landed many reef species. Doms mate caught some of the biggest sgt bakers I've ever seen, hence his new nickname. As the sun got higher, the bite died off and the wind was playing havoc but we stuck to our plan and kept going.

It was now getting later in the day and we started making our way back and tried another spot. A bit shallower, so lighter jigs and away we cast. We all manage a few different fish but sgt baker was still hitting his mark and was now trying to quick release so no one would see him, it was pretty funny.

Next minute, Dom comes up tight yet again, thing is peeling line mad we have to head to deeper water because of his 10lb outfit. After a great fight and to prove it's no fluke, another cracker in the net. This one goes 64cm.

post-24974-0-18802900-1436520364_thumb.jpg

For the rest of us it was a tough day but for our mate he DOM-inated!

That was about it for the day. It was yet another awesome day out of port Stephens with many things to keep us entertained, whales, dolphins, seals, penguins and of course the many sgt bakers :)

Well done DOM, you smashed it!

Thanks for reading,

Cheers scratchie!!!

Good read Scratchie, was another fun day in paradise. Yep we were all surprised at the ball of snapper on the surface!! Think I would have thrown jnr at them had he been standing next to me!! Just glad I landed the popper in the 'red zone' at the right time and had something in my hand to throw at them.

Your boy is growing up, great to see him plugging away all day with his humour and enthusiasm. Look forward to teaching my new boy the art of chasing fish (particularly up here at Port Stephens!). Thanks for your company mate always good fun.

Thanks for the replys. It's always a great fun out on the water with Dom. He is very giving of his time, knowledge and gear. And trust me, jnr has more snags than a butchers shop and Dom is always like, "just get other one".

Seeing massive snapper smashing the surface is very rare indeed and it's just one of those amazing scenes that being out on the water, throws up different surprises!

Dom- mate, I'm sure by the time your young fella turns 2 he'll be into them. Don't put too much pressure on the 3 month old :)

Scatchie,

that has got to be a first - catching not just a snapper but a real corker on a popper! I've heard of big snapper cruising the shallows in South Australia sometimes, I think it was around the wharves in Whyalla, and I recall the locals got them to take burley off the top on occasions but I've never heard of it over hear and certainly not 'in the wild' so to speak. That's one for the history books!

Congrats on a memorable day and another good read.

Cheers

LuckyFil

Good work there Scratchie, some good fish.

In the fishing world, nothing is surprising, considering that snapper will attack floating dead cuttlefish, an attack on a surface popper is something new again.

Scatchie,

that has got to be a first - catching not just a snapper but a real corker on a popper! I've heard of big snapper cruising the shallows in South Australia sometimes, I think it was around the wharves in Whyalla, and I recall the locals got them to take burley off the top on occasions but I've never heard of it over hear and certainly not 'in the wild' so to speak. That's one for the history books!

Congrats on a memorable day and another good read.

Cheers

LuckyFil

Mate, it was a first for all of us on the boat and I don't envisage it happening again anytime soon.

Truly and day not to forget!

Some of the better snapper we have caught on plastics is as soon as the lure hits the water it has been taken and this is in 20mts to 30 mts of water. Usually around baitish as well.

Some of the better snapper we have caught on plastics is as soon as the lure hits the water it has been taken and this is in 20mts to 30 mts of water. Usually around baitish as well.

Couldn't agree more. Most of the snapper we caught for two days were on the drop but mainly midwater in 20-30m! But this was the first I've ever seen off the surface!

Well done Scratchie and co. Just a thought, I have only seen what you experienced once and thats when the snapper spawn. They congregate in big balls on the surface. Where the ones you caught full of roe?

Well done Scratchie and co. Just a thought, I have only seen what you experienced once and thats when the snapper spawn. They congregate in big balls on the surface. Where the ones you caught full of roe?

Correct finin! I also thought for their size that they were pale in colour. I've made a few notes, would love to see it again!

Nice effort Scratchie, haven't ever seen a ball of big snapper myself but my grandfather used to talk of them doing it at Edith Breaker on sunrise and sunset back in the day.

These days it would have to be right time right place.

Cheers

Andy