Moved to QLD

Dave_

G'day everyone,

I recently moved to Brisbane but this site is so awesome that I see no reason to stop posting on here, I hope it's ok to keep posting reports from up here. Between work and a lack of local knowledge, I haven't been doing much fishing.

The school holidays began and me and the young fella were stingin' for a cast. He asked me if there are any Barra down this far but I explained to him that we'd have to head north for about 4 hours. Then I remembered about the Suncoast Barra park I went to years ago and upon hearing about that, my young bloke was going with or without me.

We got there with every bit of tackle we have plus a bucket full of live herring that I netted from the river beside the park. We were told that they were still a little bit hard to tempt because the water was still a bit cold but I was confident.

They give you the same pellets for bait that they use to feed the fish so we had 2 Bream rods out with unweighted pellets and a 4-7kg rod with a livie on it. The Barra were rising everywhere but they are super smart and can tell the difference between the floating pellets with and without hooks. Frustrating to see them smash the burley pellets but not your bait. It's great that you can use any tackle and bait you like.

I sent a livie out and the rod buckled after about 10 seconds. Big Fish! These Barra go hard because they're not lazy freshwater ones that only eat one food all day, they pump saltwater in from the Maroochy river and they eat a range of different things. I had it on for about 5 minutes then it leaped to the air and threw the hook. Looked about 85cm.

Next livie went out and got hammered again, after a good fight and some awesome acrobatics, I landed a stocky 70cm fish. It went a little quiet until the clouds came over and the wind changed direction. They started taking the pellets off the surface but the trouble was landing them. We dropped the smaller rods back to 6lb leader to get more strikes but it wasn't easy. After 5 bust offs, my young fella has his first Barra going 60cm. He was stoked.

More bust offs followed but it was good fun. My boy put a sinker on and let the pellet go to the bottom and got a big Bream. Dunno how it survived in there with the big boys haha. I got another 2 smaller Barra, 65 and 45cm on prawns after that.

A couple of cool things I seen were a huge Jewie come to the surface and eat some berley and also a big Milkfish zip past me at speed with its back out of the water.

It was a good day, the fish aren't easy to catch but it's fun to try to outsmart them, they've seen every lure and bait known to man. One thing to note if you ever go there is, the Barra just start to fire up as the place is about to close for the day (5pm) and seeing as the Barra get to 1.2m in here, they can take a long time to land on light gear. I'd hate to hook up to one of these with 5 minutes left, I seen a young guy land a thick 90cm fish on 6lb and it almost spooled him and took half an hour to land.

Cool place to go if you don't wanna travel hours up north or ya don't like crocs!

Cheers,

Dave

post-32123-0-51115800-1444124639_thumb.jpg

post-32123-0-52007300-1444124668_thumb.jpg

post-32123-0-75640600-1444124688_thumb.jpg

post-32123-0-90889600-1444124708_thumb.jpg

post-32123-0-00460000-1444124748_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dave_

Sounds like a great place to visit dave! Qld???? Gees your gunna miss the bass sessions you had down here. Not to mention the Stockton breakwall. Oh well, at least your state league team has improved :)

Cheers scratchie!!!

Yeah I'll definitely miss the Bass and the Breakwall mate. 1m+ Threadfin Salmon in the Brissy river sounds alright though haha. Oh yeah, this place is at Bli Bli on the Sunny Coast. Edited by Dave_

Is it catch and release, or can you keep one for the table?

The first time I went there years ago, you could pay a fee for your catch. Things have changed and it is now catch and release only. I have no doubt they'd be great eating though, they're in such good nick.

The first time I went there years ago, you could pay a fee for your catch. Things have changed and it is now catch and release only. I have no doubt they'd be great eating though, they're in such good nick.

That's a bummer, just one would do for the table. :1fishing1:

G'day everyone,

I recently moved to Brisbane but this site is so awesome that I see no reason to stop posting on here, I hope it's ok to keep posting reports from up here. Between work and a lack of local knowledge, I haven't been doing much fishing.

The school holidays began and me and the young fella were stingin' for a cast. He asked me if there are any Barra down this far but I explained to him that we'd have to head north for about 4 hours. Then I remembered about the Suncoast Barra park I went to years ago and upon hearing about that, my young bloke was going with or without me.

We got there with every bit of tackle we have plus a bucket full of live herring that I netted from the river beside the park. We were told that they were still a little bit hard to tempt because the water was still a bit cold but I was confident.

They give you the same pellets for bait that they use to feed the fish so we had 2 Bream rods out with unweighted pellets and a 4-7kg rod with a livie on it. The Barra were rising everywhere but they are super smart and can tell the difference between the floating pellets with and without hooks. Frustrating to see them smash the burley pellets but not your bait. It's great that you can use any tackle and bait you like.

I sent a livie out and the rod buckled after about 10 seconds. Big Fish! These Barra go hard because they're not lazy freshwater ones that only eat one food all day, they pump saltwater in from the Maroochy river and they eat a range of different things. I had it on for about 5 minutes then it leaped to the air and threw the hook. Looked about 85cm.

Next livie went out and got hammered again, after a good fight and some awesome acrobatics, I landed a stocky 70cm fish. It went a little quiet until the clouds came over and the wind changed direction. They started taking the pellets off the surface but the trouble was landing them. We dropped the smaller rods back to 6lb leader to get more strikes but it wasn't easy. After 5 bust offs, my young fella has his first Barra going 60cm. He was stoked.

More bust offs followed but it was good fun. My boy put a sinker on and let the pellet go to the bottom and got a big Bream. Dunno how it survived in there with the big boys haha. I got another 2 smaller Barra, 65 and 45cm on prawns after that.

A couple of cool things I seen were a huge Jewie come to the surface and eat some berley and also a big Milkfish zip past me at speed with its back out of the water.

It was a good day, the fish aren't easy to catch but it's fun to try to outsmart them, they've seen every lure and bait known to man. One thing to note if you ever go there is, the Barra just start to fire up as the place is about to close for the day (5pm) and seeing as the Barra get to 1.2m in here, they can take a long time to land on light gear. I'd hate to hook up to one of these with 5 minutes left, I seen a young guy land a thick 90cm fish on 6lb and it almost spooled him and took half an hour to land.

Cool place to go if you don't wanna travel hours up north or ya don't like crocs!

Cheers,

Dave

Living the dream mate

Dave we need lots more from up above the border so keep the posts coming as Fishraiders are everywhere.

Thanks mate, it's good to know that I can continue to contribute to and learn from Fishraider.

Mate well done that a great report... stonker of a bream!!! What did the measure go?

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Unfortunately we didn't put it on the mat because it came during a hot Barra bite and we were too keen to get back into it. I'm guessing it'd have to be nudging 40cm? Anyhow, I'm pretty sure it beats my son's previous PB of 35cm.

Unfortunately we didn't put it on the mat because it came during a hot Barra bite and we were too keen to get back into it. I'm guessing it'd have to be nudging 40cm? Anyhow, I'm pretty sure it beats my son's previous PB of 35cm.

Yeah i was think nearing the 40s. Great catxg for him!! Well done mate and keep the greay species of the nortj coming

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk