That's more like it - some luck at last

Dave_

G'day again everyone,

I woke up this morning feeling sorry for myself. My fishing luck so far in my new state has been bad and to make matters worse, my 20's are now a thing of the past.

The Mrs randomly says "let's go to Noosa". I said "Noosa? You wanna drive all that way just for the day?". I honestly didn't realise it was only 2 hours from home, it still amazes me just what I have at my fingertips now, especially coming from a country town in NSW. Awesome.

Got there at 9am and wow, what a nice place. Unreal. I got some frozen prawns just for back up as the plan was to net some livies. I had a look at the end of the rock wall near the sandbar and it just looked too awesome for a Whiting so I threw a prawn on the Bream/Bass rod. It was the last of the run in tide but the current was still ripping in hard.

I had my first cast and I was kinda daydreaming and taking in the sights when suddenly the Mrs yells "look at that!". A big bust up was happening right in front of me and a bunch of large herring literally launched outta the water and one landed on my foot. These were BIG baits. I was shocked and started to bend down to pick one of them up when my little Luvias 2000 starts screaming.

I knew this thing was big because of the size of the baits and it was ripping serious string. Knowing the odds were heavily against me, I tried not to panic and I got down close to the water to extend my rod as far past the rocks as possible. I hopped rocks like a madman until the fish went deep and used the strong current to it's advantage. Stalemate for 10 minutes, what a strong fish. It wouldn't budge and I didn't trust the 8lb leader but I had no choice but to put some more hurt on. I started to win and after a few tense moments up come a nice Big Eye Trevally. Top net shot by the Mrs. Stoked. Nice 20 minute battle.

I turned around to find that I'd amassed crowd of around 30 people so thankfully I didn't choke. Instead, I was met with an applause fit for a champion hahaha. The Big Eye went quiet, only rising once more and disappearing too quickly for me to get my popper into the fray.

When the tide began to rip out hard, I went around further to the beach and got a few nice Whiting up to 30cms. They went quiet so I went back to the rocks and dangerously casted in close and let the current take my bait right up under the overhanging rocks. I picked up some nice Bream and some really hard fighting Happy Moments or Black Trevally (they really go). I picked up a lot of other strange northern species too. I was back in form!

Top day overall and I was glad to finally have some luck, especially given that the odds were against me with the Big Eye. Stoked.

All fish released.

Cheers,

Dave

post-32123-0-22347800-1446201653_thumb.jpg

post-32123-0-37420900-1446201668_thumb.jpg

post-32123-0-12540500-1446201680_thumb.jpg

post-32123-0-60607100-1446201692_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dave_

Well done mate . I absolutely love Noosa , I first went there for our honeymoon back in 2003 & we haven't stopped going back there since ....

I stand corrected if thats the case

I stand corrected if thats the case.

Easy to mistake the two The moses has the stripe which extends over the eye and the blackspot snapper doesn't Also distribution blackspot you wont find south of around Cairns but the moses Ive caught as far south as Port Macquarie

Nice fish. I used to fish Noosa as a kid and would love to get back up there.

Beautiful big eye trev - I didn't know the species was an option land-based. Must have pulled like a rocket on the 8lb, well done!

Edited by Mike89