Knots for spinning

elferoz777

Hi guys

I always used  the  allbright knot or whatever  its called  to go from braid to mono. i then tie a paternoster style loop on the end to hook my metal. makes things easier to  change and has scored me tailor in the past. i want to do it properly so i can give  the kings a first  Crack this is  summer. what does everyone else   do? what works  best? does  anyone  spin with straight  mono ? how  much  mono do you trail after the  braid?

Thanks in advance and  apologies for the  silly  questions.

People have started using the FG knot to go from braid to leader, there are a few easy ways to tying that knot so Google/YouTube it. I first tried to tie it on Wednesday and my first attempt wasn't so bad ?. 

As for the lure, I tie it direct to my leader with a loop knot making the loop as small as possible to avoid tangles in trebles when casting. But I'm starting to replace trebles with a single circle hook so my loops will be whatever size time permits.

Both knots can be done in under 2 minutes so if circumstances force you to re rig you can be back in action in no time with the strongest braid to leader knot and an action packed loop knot.

Yep I'm with Lungfai. FG knot and a loop knot with lures. Much better knot for braid to leader, when using a baitcaster. If I'm tying light braid to leader, then I use a double uni knot. The FG is well worth spending a bit of time learning to tie...it's strong and low profile, too. BN

On 08/11/2016 at 7:34 AM, antonywardle said:

Another knot that is pretty to get the hang of is the bimini twist.

It makes a loop, and then you can use a wind on leader to put on what ever 

leader you want.

I'd watch that - braid will cut through if you are not careful

24 minutes ago, PaddyT said:

It will slip- albright is fast and easy, FG is really good but takes a fair while to tie, in a hot bit I know what i go to!

I learned blood knot about 2 days ago. Now I've just learned albright knot. U can tell I'm still a noob in fishing . 

I use the "cheaters FG". It takes me maybe 3 minutes to do a really solid one that guaranteed won't slip (for land based kings) but you really REALLY need to make sure you make the thing is tight and compact as you can, if it has any slack in the meat of the knot- when you tie off your half hitches they will slide after 20-30 casts and you will not notice untill you catch a fish and "ping" goes your not. 

I have a great instructional vid. if anyone wants it lemme know 

Practice, practice, practice. 

After tying hundreds of FG knots whilst watching tv , I can now tie them in under a minute on a rocking boat.

Practice, practice, practice. 

It is by far the best knot for braid to leader.

Always load test your knots before a fish finds the weakness.