Tinny gets bogged down at low speeds, would a hydrofoil help?

kingie chaser

Hi guys, I have been reading up on hydrofoils to a solution to the issue with my 13ft Quintrex tinny with 25hp mercury getting bogged down in the rear & the bow raising so far at low speeds that I cannot see where I am going.

Once the boat is up on the plane it travels beautifully & turns on a dime but it currently annoys me on not only the time it takes to get to the plane but the way it travels between 4knts & 8knts.

I have played with the manual trim positions & on the current setting it rides very nicely up on the plane but is I change it to get to the plane quicker my top end steering & ride is not as good. 

I read through this old thread which left me undecided if one benefit would out way another in performance once I am up & running?

Has anything changed in 5 years?

If I was to get one I would be considering this one

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mercury-Mariner-Aluminium-Outboard-Hydrofoil-Suits-25-60HP-OZHYDROFOIL-/290892731715

Edited by kingie chaser

3 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

Hi guys, I have been reading up on hydrofoils to a solution to the issue with my 13ft Quintrex tinny with 25hp mercury getting bogged down in the rear & the bow raising so far at low speeds that I cannot see where I am going.

Once the boat is up on the plane it travels beautifully & turns on a dime but it currently annoys me on not only the time it takes to get to the plane but the way it travels between 4knts & 8knts.

I read through this old thread which left me undecided if one benefit would out way another in performance once I am up & running?

Has anything changed in 5 years?

If I was to get one I would be considering this one

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mercury-Mariner-Aluminium-Outboard-Hydrofoil-Suits-25-60HP-OZHYDROFOIL-/290892731715

I'm guessing it's a tiller steer?I'd be looking at moving more weight forward before putting a foil on.

Can you get a tiller extension pole so your driving position is further forward?Move fuel tank/s?live bait tank?Tackle box?etc,etc forward assuming you have these things.

If you have a manual tilt n trim outboard it might pay to trim the outboard in a hole or two also.

Playing around with the balance of cargo,passengers and trim position on a small boat like ours does wonders to the safety and ride.

Cheers.

Thanks for the reply Fab.

You are correct, tiller steer.

Most of the time I am on my own & most of the weight(being me at 110kg) is in the rear & all I have is a couple of tackle boxes in the middle of the boat.

As mentioned I have played with the tilt but one benefit out ways the other as it is.

2 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

Thanks for the reply Fab.

You are correct, tiller steer.

Most of the time I am on my own & most of the weight(being me at 110kg) is in the rear & all I have is a couple of tackle boxes in the middle of the boat.

As mentioned I have played with the tilt but one benefit out ways the other as it is.

That's the issue,You at 110kg plus the weight of engine at the rear making it bum heavy.

An easy experiment is add removable weight up front like filling a few water drums,containers or take a friend for a trip to sit up front to balance the boat and note the difference.

Riding bow high in a tinny is unsafe in my opinion as you have a blind spot at least 20-30ft in front of you making it  easy to run things over that sit low in the water especially in low visibility(Kyakers come to mind).

I would look at putting extra weight up front like I said,or simply putting some sand bags up front to counter the weight that's at the back if you have some free space.

Unfortunately what you are experiencing is part and parcel of owning a tiller steer tinny when boating solo unless you make adjustments.

Cheers.

Im with Fab. To much weight on or near to the transom. Buy or make a tiller extension and sit way further forward, boat will probably take a lil longer to plane but will have sharper handling and will sit level . All this assuming its a planing hull and not a displacement hull.

Never been a fan of any of those trims you fix to the antiventalation plate of outboards, had some very close calls with them.

Smart tabs from Bennett or nauticus have improved every boat I've owned over he last 10 years.

jon

I have trim tabs but  I wacked on a SE SPORT HYDROFOIL and wow what a difference...AWESOME

untitled.png  use this and you will never ever have lift problems again and if you want to pay extra you can get the ones that clip on instead of drilling

i have the se 300  and it does work well.mines not a tiller steer though.if i were you i would try the se and also move your fuel tank up the front thus not adding any more weight just the cost of some extra fuel line cheers dunc333

had exactly the same problem when I had a tinny, easiest solution is an extension pole for the tiller arm.......i just used a piece of pvc pipe and stuck it over the throttle handle and sat on the middle seat of my tinny.  Cost was about 10bucks.

just have to ensure that the pvc is an extremely tight fit on the throttle 

as everyone has said, more weight at the front of the boat will help also

Here's lies the problem, those that have them love them, the other side that don't have them say they don't need them :huh:

Ok I have had a tiller extension(commercial one) for ages & never used it so I am going to give it a go.

Thing I don't like is sitting in the middle seat, away from the gear changer & kill switch.

Might have to do a kill switch extension cord to my wrist//

Edited by kingie chaser

Guest Guest123456789

Best solution is to weld some aluminium pods to the transom. The additional buoyancy will resolve your issue and wont create handling issues that occur with hydrofoils. Also great swim step ladders.

I'm going to chuck in my 2 bobs worth without inflicting any technical know how into the discussion. I have a 12 ft tinnie with a 15HP Yamaha, tiller steer. I have hydrofoils fitted to the motor and NEVER have trouble getting up on the plane, or the bow coming out of the water. This is the case with me (well over 110kgs), the motor and fuel tank all at the stern.

Nowadays, I have a bow mounted electric motor, battery and tackle boxes mounted forward...and the performance is exactly the same. I also have a passenger seat diagonally opposite to where I sit.

Don't know if this helps or not. Good luck BN