surface popper

DaveBM

Hi all.

Had a frustrating day yesterday on the flats near the entrance to Lake Illawarra, trying a popper in shallow water for the first time. A couple of nice bream and lots of big whiting were following my popper (clear prawn type) right up to where I was wading, but were not willing to strike. I tried everything I could think of - fast/slow, steady retrieve versus jerky, stopping and starting... the buggers just kept swimming along behind it.

Any tips?

Mind you, guys with bait weren't getting much to happen either - even fresh beach worms - so maybe the fish just weren't hungry and trying to piss me off for fun!

Sometimes there's nothing you can do about it. If you've worked the lure best you could and the bait fishos weren't pulling anything, well they just weren't hungry. The only thing I could suggest is to put a bit of xfactor on your popper! 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

I have found at times, that when you can see the whiting, they can see you and are hard to get on the bite.

Squirt worms might be the best choice, and fishing early morning when the sun is not up too far.

Not sure if it will entice whiting but I've had success with pausing the retrieve for a substantial amount of time, like 30 seconds or so. Salmon and kings fall for this when there playing silly buggers. Sometimes you can see them buzz the lure just under the surface. Just keep the slack out of the line, it may get hit whilst stationary.