Solo session Terrigal

Guest Guest123456789

Guest Guest123456789

Put the boat in Terrigal ramp myself this morning. My fishing mate/mentor was busy doing renovations so I was on my own. 

Water 23 degrees and dirty in close. Despite this I managed a small bonito on the troll. After a few more passes I decided to move.

Spotted some surface activity so I anchored up and started casting. Lure wasn't working, changed it. Then changed that one. Then changed again, smash! Pulled in a better bonito.

Fish in the esky, first cast I worked the lure and at the boat a MONSTER greenback kingfish engulfed the lure. I set the hook, an initial lull while the fish tried to shake the hooks. Then it panicked. We all know what happens next. ZzzzzZZzzzzzzzZZ!

Fish runs out towards sea. Now the drag I have set is tight, a 65cm bonito barely took 10 metres of 20lbs braid. This thing has taken me to the mono backing (200metres plus). Quickly I engaged the electric and started to chase down the fish. After a 5 minute tussle I've got my braid back. Then without warning fish takes a run. PING! Pulled the hook.

After regathering myself I kept fishing and managed another two bonito and a tailor before calling it quits. Overall happy, but a bit low about missing the big boy. Oh well, I'll get him next time.

IMG_1620.JPG

Bad luck about the Kingie Luke, nice bag of Bonnies though.

I know how it feels to get a screaming run -I've  just upgraded to a Stella 1400XG with 100lb braid and 120lb leader - sick of getting busted up or broken off.

Guest Guest123456789
1 hour ago, dynabolt said:

Love the sound of line peeling off the reel! 

True that!

38 minutes ago, bojulabah said:

Bad luck about the Kingie Luke, nice bag of Bonnies though.

I know how it feels to get a screaming run -I've  just upgraded to a Stella 1400XG with 100lb braid and 120lb leader - sick of getting busted up or broken off.

Thanks mate. Have you looked at the kingfish lure record on fishraider? Includes a report, great read. They used a similar set up to what you've upgraded to. And even then there was a fish they couldn't stop.

The thing that hurts the most is that the fish was stoppable, I turned it from the reef out to sea (all sand) and a stupid error of drag too tight cost me ?

Guest Guest123456789
Just now, Farvos said:

Good catch. Got some kings today myself.

Well done mate, glad someone caught a few ?

Guest Guest123456789
25 minutes ago, Scratchie said:

Nice work Luke! You certainly have no problem getting stuck into those bonito now! Well done :)

cheers scratchie!!! 

Thanks scratchie! That's the truth, I'll spare everyone ANOTHER Bonito report as it's fair to say there everywhere ATM and being caught in big numbers which is great to see

19 hours ago, Rock&Beach said:

Nice feed there mate. Pity on the Kingy. Myself I haven't been out for a while. Starting to get that feeling back though.

Thanks Rock, get amongst it mate now's the time ?

Guest Guest123456789
13 minutes ago, Ledge said:

Good read. Do you mind sharing what lure you were using when you hooked the king? I'm keen to add a few new ones to my tackle box!

One like this one 

IMG_1637.JPG

Edited by Guest123456789
Zoom photo

Guest Guest123456789
6 minutes ago, Ledge said:

Ah yep. Cheers. Have a few knights already. Nice double hookup lol

Thanks mate. Terminal tackle is rubbish but they're strong metal and great shape aren't they?