My boys first fish

Flickn Mad

I took my 5 year old son down to the shoal haven to visit my oldies on the weekend. 

I have been doing my best to get the young fella into fishing with a fair bit of success. He has wound in a couple of bream I hooked for him but he insisted he had not caught one yet, just wound them in for me.

He jumped at the chance to head out on the river with me and his pop.

he had a ball pumping nippers and accidentally on purpose falling down the holes left by the yabby pump.

Back in the boat, I baited up a light rod for him, he gracefully flicked out a 15 meter cast leaving his pop looking very proud. 

Within 10 seconds I see his rod tip tap. Then double over, well maybe not double but enough to watch him freak out of his little 5 year old mind. I got one daddy I got one.

with plenty of advice from a very excited pop and proud dad he gets a good dusky to the boat. 40 cm of dusky in good current he was blown away. I don't know if I have ever seen him me or his pop more excited. 

I believe in keeping things pritty real with my boy so I asked him do you want to keep it or let it go. A conversation we have with almost all leagal fish. He likes to let most fish go. But he turns to his pop and says can you kill it and we can have it for lunch. No problem. He went on to catch four more flatties unassisted only one more legal though. Others all mid thirties though. 

We kept 3 fish all up, pop dropped one good one over the side trying to measure it, good one pop.

wind came up so we pulled the pin.

fresh flattie fillets for lunch, yummy.

young fella reckons he wants to catch a marlin next! You gotta love big dreams. 

He doesn't know yet but I am already starting to plan on making those dreams come true. It might take 10 years but big dreams and a bit of planning and you never know what you can achieve.

ps I am spewing I won't get the chance to post my boys expierinces on fishraider much longer.

Edited by Flickn Mad
Typo

What a lovely story of family bonding. That's what life's all about isn't it? Getting out in the fresh air with the previous and the next generation of anglers...and the proud moments which you will all take in...in your own special way. Life's good! BN

11 hours ago, Flickn Mad said:

I took my 5 year old son down to the shoal haven to visit my oldies on the weekend. 

I have been doing my best to get the young fella into fishing with a fair bit of success. He has wound in a couple of bream I hooked for him but he insisted he had not caught one yet, just wound them in for me.

He jumped at the chance to head out on the river with me and his pop.

he had a ball pumping nippers and accidentally on purpose falling down the holes left by the yabby pump.

Back in the boat, I baited up a light rod for him, he gracefully flicked out a 15 meter cast leaving his pop looking very proud. 

Within 10 seconds I see his rod tip tap. Then double over, well maybe not double but enough to watch him freak out of his little 5 year old mind. I got one daddy I got one.

with plenty of advice from a very excited pop and proud dad he gets a good dusky to the boat. 40 cm of dusky in good current he was blown away. I don't know if I have ever seen him me or his pop more excited. 

I believe in keeping things pritty real with my boy so I asked him do you want to keep it or let it go. A conversation we have with almost all leagal fish. He likes to let most fish go. But he turns to his pop and says can you kill it and we can have it for lunch. No problem. He went on to catch four more flatties unassisted only one more legal though. Others all mid thirties though. 

We kept 3 fish all up, pop dropped one good one over the side trying to measure it, good one pop.

wind came up so we pulled the pin.

fresh flattie fillets for lunch, yummy.

young fella reckons he wants to catch a marlin next! You gotta love big dreams. 

He doesn't know yet but I am already starting to plan on making those dreams come true. It might take 10 years but big dreams and a bit of planning and you never know what you can achieve.

ps I am spewing I won't get the chance to post my boys expierinces on fishraider much longer.

That is a great story. If you message me your details I will send him a little prize for being a great up and coming fishraider.

This is what our community is all about :)

Keep posting folks please - people are watching us. 

That story is gold! Would have liked to see how proud he is holding up his fish! Keep him at it, my kids still love coming fishing with me and the eldest has ticked his marlin box at 14yo! 3 generations fishing together is pretty cool too! I hope mine envite me when a pop! :)

cheers scratchie!!! 

Great story mate as I can relate to when my son was his age to a similar scenario.I use to fish the river every weekend almost when my son was only around his age.This particular day we put one of those mister twister lures on a light rod to keep him busy when he's calling out to us,"I've got one mummy"While we both echoed good boy while we both had fish on and not looking at him when all of a sudden the mrs cops a flapping flathead to the back of the war and we realise he indeed did have one.He was so proud of himself and so where we as that fish was his first solo effort and we still talk about it know that he's 23 years old like it was yesterday.

Now fishraider is staying I look forward to reading your adventures with the little guy and pop.

You guys will do the same for years to come.

cheers.

Edited by Fab1

6 hours ago, Fab1 said:

Great story mate as I can relate to when my son was his age to a similar scenario.I use to fish the river every weekend almost when my son was only around his age.This particular day we put one of those mister twister lures on a light rod to keep him busy when he's calling out to us,"I've got one mummy"While we both echoed good boy while we both had fish on and not looking at him when all of a sudden the mrs cops a flapping flathead to the back of the war and we realise he indeed did have one.He was so proud of himself and so where we as that fish was his first solo effort and we still talk about it know that he's 23 years old like it was yesterday.

Now fishraider is staying I look forward to reading your adventures with the little guy and pop.

You guys will do the same for years to come.

cheers.

The evolution of fishing and the joys of sharing our past time with the new and old generations is the best. My grand dad taught my dad plenty, my dad taught me plenty, then by the time I was in my early teens 30 years ago I introduced my grand dad to fishing for flatties with those mister twister things. 

The suprise on his face when he watched the fish follow his lure through shin deep water and belt it at his feet. 4 pound mono on a 6 foot ugly stick. 

Now im gunna have to find the photos to show my boy. I'll see if I can put them up here. 

1 hour ago, Flickn Mad said:

The evolution of fishing and the joys of sharing our past time with the new and old generations is the best. My grand dad taught my dad plenty, my dad taught me plenty, then by the time I was in my early teens 30 years ago I introduced my grand dad to fishing for flatties with those mister twister things. 

The suprise on his face when he watched the fish follow his lure through shin deep water and belt it at his feet. 4 pound mono on a 6 foot ugly stick. 

Now im gunna have to find the photos to show my boy. I'll see if I can put them up here. 

I've still got the yellow jig head and fluro green grub he caught it on somewhere in my goody stash in the shed.My son and I came across it not long ago when I gave him a hiding playing darts and he remembered it well.