Outside Port Hacking - shark I.D.

Yowie

Was planning on heading up river this morning, but just before heading to bed last night, had a change of plan due to the predicted light winds, so thought give it a go outside.

Headed out at first light to a stronger than predicted westerly, not good for drifting. Trolled a couple of pillies around Jibbon Point - dropped one tailor after a short time and a salmon crashed a pillie on the surface but did not hook up - not good so far.

Wind a bit strong for bottom bashing, so headed south of the bombie, reasonably close to the cliffs where the wind was not too strong. First drop onto a blue spot, looked good, then nothing but spikies, so kept a couple for bait strips.

Kept drifting out and the wind picked up a bit, then no bites for a while. Thought about giving it away, ready to pull up then a double header of blue spots. Kept drifting and picked up a few more until I was out a bit, then headed back for another drift. The wind was puffy but the drift was not too fast. No other boats out with me, the few about were hugging the coast. Picked up my bag limit and headed back against the choppy water as the wind was picking up.

Some of the spikies were a bit bigger than usual, the biggest at 32cm.

A couple of humpbacks cruised north for a bit of entertainment. While I was pulling up a couple of spikies, a shark followed them up. A metre and a bit long, the colour of an overripe lemon with many round black spots. Looked similar to a leopard shark, but without the leopard type spots. It cruised about for a short time then swam off.fish.jpeg.107.png.

Edited by Yowie

Nice work again there Yowie. I went out the front there week before last when conditions were ok but couldn't find any keepersafter getting busted off on the first drop! Might see how it looks later this week.

Thank you all.

It is getting to the windy time of year, and cold mornings. No outside fishing for the next few days with the swell predicted.

Was not a wobbegong, checked my fish and shark books, cannot find a photo match just yet.

48 minutes ago, Blackfish said:

Only other spotted shark I can think of is a Gummy shark but wrong colour.

Not a gummy. It had a similar build to a leopard shark, big shoulders and a relatively thick body, and I would guess a small mouth underneath.

Leopard sharks have the leopard type spots, a grey middle in the spot and a dark or black surrounding. This one had jet black spots, perfectly round, many of them and all over the body that I could see.

28 minutes ago, GoingFishing said:

Thats a nice bag of fish Yowie.... the whales sight seeing would have been a bonus !! 

It was pretty cold this morning!!!

It was cold this morning. Needed the gloves on until I started fishing, as zipping along in an open tinny made the wind chill feel around zero.

9 minutes ago, Scratchie said:

Juvenile nurse??? 

No.

Have been looking on the net, nothing yet.

There is a shark I.D. book, Sharks And Rays of Australia, with near 300 species, but the book is a few hundred dollars to buy.

12 hours ago, Yowie said:

Thank you all.

It is getting to the windy time of year, and cold mornings. No outside fishing for the next few days with the swell predicted.

Was not a wobbegong, checked my fish and shark books, cannot find a photo match just yet.

Thank heavens it wasn't an experience which a guy on the North Coast had where a White pointer leapt into his boat, knocking him A over T and proceeded to thrash around. As reported, it scared the living daylights out of him. BN

6 hours ago, big Neil said:

Thank heavens it wasn't an experience which a guy on the North Coast had where a White pointer leapt into his boat, knocking him A over T and proceeded to thrash around. As reported, it scared the living daylights out of him. BN

Not usual for a White to jump on board, usually a Mako is the main lunatic.