Fishing Botany bay (12 june 2017) with Video

Ojay Samson

Hey Raiders,

Just making a quick report fishing in botany a couple of days ago. I'll keep it short so here goes (skip to bottom if you lack an attention span, 3 variants for this report below):

> Plan was to leave mine and be on the water by 7am, didn't end up leaving mine till 730am. Travelled 10 minutes down the road with boat in tow heading to botany bay, pulled into servo to get backup fuel (just in case 50L wasn't enough inside the bay lol), only to realize there that I didn't bring the boat keys =/. Made a phone call to mum to bring the boat keys as friend and I waited at the servo eating breakfast at the HJ's.

> Went to a local tackle and bait store in kyeemah to buy backup bait (exorbitant pricing@ 1 fresh squid costing$6.30 & 1 small ziplock bag of frozen pilles ~ 10 igaf? pilles @ $10) Launched at Kyeemah boat ramp and headed off to gather live bait around where the tugs are usually parked.

> Gathered yellowtail scad & slimey mackerel in a maritime security level 1 zone. (Not sure why no one told us to move along, port authority etc etc drove right past a handful of times, safety in numbers?).

> Then went to squid grounds to try and find squid, none were found in the 20 minutes we tried (squidding is the bane of my fishing, i have no patience for it).

> Went to oil wharf (my 'secret spot' is not so secret anymore after this vid, oh well) to drop some livies down and fresh squid strips (bought before launching as insurance). Caught 2  kings. 1@ 55cm on squid strip, 1@60cm on live yakka.  Lost a few more livies and strips due to fish missing the hooks. Accessory battery couldn't keep fish finder alive anymore so was fishing blind for the 2nd half of the day ~1pm (its due for a replacement/ had spare older fully charged 12V battery on board but were to lazy to swap them around).

> Things died down so moved to oil drums to try (without the aid of aforementioned fish finder), only caught pinkes, grinners, live bait tangles, & slimeys. Managed to catch 2 keeper flattys and 1 keeper bream though, so had something to take home.

> Things weren't so hot at drums so went back to my secret spot as it got later in the day, no success. 

> Headed home on 'mood lighting' before it got to dark, earnt my paycheck driving back to the ramp from the oil wharf due to a decent wind blowing  to the north east, pushing the boat from the port rear sideways the entire time and driving in an awkwardly angled sea/waves.

> All in all a enjoyable day as that's the first time the Formosa has been taken to the bay and the weather cleared up nicely. Lots of bait schools around and the bay wasn't that busy with most people travelling elsewhere for the long weekend.

For those who have a short attention span, here's a video instead (warning 10 minute video):

Click here -->     Fishing botany bay using live bait

For those with no attention span:

tl;dr version

Went botany bay, caught fish, heres pics.

shot016.png

WhatsApp Image 2017-06-14 at 4.16.46 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2017-06-14 at 4.16.37 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2017-06-14 at 4.16.27 PM.jpeg

Thanks for your attention.

OJ

Edited by Ojay Samson

Biggest thrill for today, watching your video and reading the report. I have subscribed to your vid channel so will have a look at the other vids when I get time. What equipment are you using to film and also edit your footage? Keep up the good work Ojay. BN

Loving the videos, like the fact you tell people what rod, reel and line combo you are using.

What Go Pro are you using, I have just got a GoPro 5 Black

Are you using a chest or head strap?

Edited by jeffb5.8

On 6/15/2017 at 10:23 PM, Regan said:

nice kings mate

Thanks mate, kings are always good fun to catch.

On 6/16/2017 at 6:17 AM, big Neil said:

Biggest thrill for today, watching your video and reading the report. I have subscribed to your vid channel so will have a look at the other vids when I get time. What equipment are you using to film and also edit your footage? Keep up the good work Ojay. BN

Thanks Neil, I'm glad you liked my report, really appreciate your kind words and words of encouragement. I hope my other vids are just as entertaining for you. 

The gear i'm using to film are:
Camera 1. Gopro Hero 5 black mounted to a Gopro Chesty (the camera footage you see which is POV style).
Camera 2. Gopro Hero 4 silver mounted to a UKPro Pole 54HDF (The camera used for underwater and 2nd perspective shots).

Editing Software:
1. Adobe After Effects CC 2017 (pirated lol)
2. Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2017 (pirated)
3. Adobe Bridge CC 2017 (legit cos free from adobe)

I'm still very new to this editing thing and as i'm learning as i go, its a pretty big learning curve using adobe stuff (compared to say Gopro studios - ive used that once). my editing software progression went from the tried & true yet very simple windows movie maker 2011 & microsoft paint ---> Gopro studios free software ---> Adobe.

On 6/16/2017 at 8:56 AM, Razzell said:

Cracking report and video mate - reports like this should be the standard everyone aims for. Subscribed to your channel.

Thanks for that, I'm actually very flattered you recognise the effort and that comment means a lot to me. I don't post much on raiders, but when I do I like to think my posts are made with quality & effort, and will actually entertain people as they read as opposed to the same old same old. Its the least i think i can do as some of the people in this community have really helped me out in the past with their advice & actual physical help.

On 6/16/2017 at 1:47 PM, jeffb5.8 said:

Loving the videos, like the fact you tell people what rod, reel and line combo you are using.

What Go Pro are you using, I have just got a GoPro 5 Black

Are you using a chest or head strap?

Glad you like them Jeff :) Yeah i figured I'd try give as much information as possible on this latest vid to try and separate myself from the other plethora of fishing vids on youtube so its not only entertaining, but also informative.
As mentioned to BN above I use the 5 black as my POV camera (this is usually always on me at all times ready to go when fishing) and its mounted to myself using the Chesty strap. I believe this is the better of the 2 strap styles as the head strap if not done right can give people motion sickness when viewing the footage. I also find it more visually pleasing to watch in the chest area as it gives your eyes a frame of reference with your arms and rod and reel in the shot.

On 6/16/2017 at 10:01 PM, Welster said:

Great report and video.  Nice to see some winter kings about in the bay.   They don't seem to worry about the air collectors from what I have seen. 

Thanks mate, glad you enjoyed. Please excuse my ignorance but what are air collectors? I actually have no idea what you are referring to haha.

Thank you all for taking the time to comment on my post, glad you all seemed to have enjoyed, it lets me know i'm not wasting my time.

Cheers OJ

3 hours ago, Ojay Samson said:

Thanks mate, glad you enjoyed. Please excuse my ignorance but what are air collectors?

Cheers OJ

Gee I did don't read that once I posted.   It was meant to say bait collectors.  I haven't seen them get asked to leave that corner.